-Caveat Lector-

MS Denies Windows 'Spy Key'
by Steve Kettmann and James Glave

10:20 a.m.  3.Sep.99.PDT
Microsoft is vehemently denying allegations by a leading cryptographer that
its Windows platform contains a backdoor designed to give a US intelligence
agency access to personal computers.
Andrew Fernandes, chief scientist for security software company Cryptonym in
North Carolina, claimed on his Web site early Friday that the National
Security Agency may have access to the core security of most major Windows
operating systems.

----
See also: Hotmail Accounts Exposed to All
----

"By adding the NSA's key, they have made it easier -- not easy, but
easier -- for the NSA to install security components on your computer
without your authorization or approval," Fernandes said.

But Microsoft denied that the NSA has anything to do with the key.

"The key is a Microsoft key -- it is not shared with any party including the
NSA," said Windows NT security product manager Scott Culp. "We don't leave
backdoors in any products."

Culp said the key was added to signify that it had passed NSA encryption
standards.

Fernandes also simultaneously released a program on his site that will
disable the key.

The key exists in all recent versions of the Windows operating systems,
including Windows 95, 98, 2000, and NT.

The issue centers around two keys that ship with all copies of Windows. The
keys grant an outside party the access it needs to install security
components without user authorization.

The first key is used by Microsoft to sign its own security service modules.
Until late Thursday, the identity and holder of the second key had remained
a mystery.

In previous versions of Windows, Fernandes said Microsoft had disguised the
holder of the second key by removing identifying symbols. But while
reverse-engineering Windows NT Service Pack 5, Fernandes discovered that
Microsoft left the identifying information intact.

He discovered that the second secret key is labeled "_NSAKEY."

Fernandes and many other security experts take that to stand for the
National Security Agency -- the nation's most powerful intelligence agency.

Microsoft said _NSAKEY signifies that it satisfies security standards.

Through its "signals intelligence" division, the NSA listens in on the
communications of other nations.

The NSA did not immediately respond to a request for comment via fax, the
only way the agency communicates with inquiries from the media.

The agency also operates Echelon, a global eavesdropping network that is
reportedly able to intercept just about any form of electronic
communications anywhere in the world.

The agency is forbidden by law from eavesdropping on American citizens.

Marc Briceno, director of the Smartcard Developer Association, said the
inclusion of the key could represent a serious threat to e-commerce.

"The Windows operating-system-security compromise installed by Microsoft on
behalf of the NSA in every copy of Windows 95, 98, and NT represents a
serious financial risk to any company using MS Windows in e-commerce
applications," Briceno wrote in an email.

"With the discovery of an NSA backdoor in every copy of the Windows
operating systems sold worldwide, both US and especially non-US users of
Microsoft Windows must assume that the confidentiality of their business
communications has been compromised by the US spy agency," Briceno said.

Briceno coordinated the team that broke the security in GSM cell phones,
demonstrating that the phones are subject to cloning -- a feat the cellular
industry had thought impossible.

In making the discovery, Fernandes said he did not know why the key was
there.

"It could be for espionage. It may not be," he said. "It does not totally
compromise Windows, it only weakens it.... The only real reason I can see is
for them to be able to install their own security providers."

But Microsoft's Culp said all cyrptographic software intended for export
must be submitted to a National Security Agency review process. He said that
the key was so named to indicate that it had completed that process and that
it complied with export regulations.

"The only thing that this key is used for is to ensure that only those
products that meet US export control regulations and have been checked can
run under our crypto API (application programming interface)," Culp said.

"It does not allow anyone to start things, stop services, or allow anything
[to be executed] remotely," he said.

"It is used to ensure that we and our cryptographic partners comply with
United States crypto export regulations. We are the only ones who have
access to it."

Fernandes made the discovery in early August, he said, but collaborated with
the Berlin-based Chaos Computer Club and other experienced hackers worldwide
before releasing the information.

"We coordinated this through the worldwide hacker scene," said Andy
Muller-Maguhn of the CCC. "It was important to American hackers that it not
only be mentioned in America but also in Europe.

"For American citizens it seems to be normal that the NSA is in their
software. But for countries outside of the United States, it is not. We
don't want to have the NSA in our software."

Coming less than a week after Microsoft was rocked by the embarrassing news
that its Hotmail system could be easily penetrated, the latest disclosure
could prove damaging to the software giant.

"Say I am at a large bank, and I have the entirety of our operation working
on Windows," Fernandes said. "That is a little more serious. The only people
who could get in there are the NSA, but that might be bad enough.

"They have to first manage to download a file into your machine. There may
be backdoors that allow them to do that.... I would be shocked and surprised
if the NSA bothered with individuals. What is more of a concern is security
systems for a large bank or another data center. Or even a Web server firm.

"The result is that it is tremendously easier for the NSA to load
unauthorized security services on all copies of Microsoft Windows, and once
these security services are loaded, they can effectively compromise your
entire operating system.

"The US government is currently making it as difficult as possible for
'strong' crypto to be used outside of the US; that they have also installed
a cryptographic backdoor in the world's most abundant operating system
should send a strong message to foreign IT managers," he said.

But Fernandes did not want to set off a panic -- or at least not for
everyone.

"I personally don't care if the NSA can get into my machine, because I think
they have better ways of spying on me as a person," Fernandes said. "But if
I was a CEO of a large bank, that would be a different story."

Before Microsoft's explanation, many leading cryptographers said they were
convinced it was a key for the NSA.

"I believe it is an NSA key," said Austin Hill, president of anonymous
Internet service company Zero-Knowledge Systems.

"We walked though it and talked about all the scenarios why it is there, and
this was our conclusion," said Hill.

He said that he and Zero-Knowledge's chief scientist, Ian Goldberg, did not
believe the key's name is a joke placed there by a Microsoft programmer --
one possible explanation.

"Microsoft has not shown incredible competence in the area of security,"
Hill added. "We call on Microsoft to learn about open security models that
provide independent verification of design. No secure system is based on
security by obscurity."
--
Sec. 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a
copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or
phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes
such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple
copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement
of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any
particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include -

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a
commercial nature or is for nonprofit
educational purposes;
(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;
(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the
copyrighted work as a whole; and
(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the
copyrighted work. The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a
finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the
above factors.