-Caveat Lector-

On 4 Sep 99, , Jean wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> According to a friend of mine who studied NLP, with an eye to setting up a
> practice, it was devised by the CIA as a means of "interrogation".
> Neurolinguistic Programming is a variant on mind control techniques in that
> it installs "alters" to carry out certain tasks and "anchors" or trigger
> words to evoke certain programmed behavior. It was first used in the private
> sector to enable salesmen to determine their customers' archilles heels.
> NLP is a nasty, mind-messing bit of business that began and remains in the
> very worst hands. Gregory Bateson did the seminal work on the NLP process.

>From time immemorial there have been books and systems that advance the idea that
you can "Win Friends and Influence People," Seduce the Man/Woman of Your
Dreams, Exercise Control Over Others and Get Your Way (And A Lot of Money, too.)
etc.  NLP has always been sold as one of these methods to "give you control over
your life (and others). It is a system of mind control, but then so is yoga and every
other system of Self Control. NLP may be a little more manipulative--but I don't think
it
has ever pretended to be anything else.

What is the difference between Mind Control--where you are surreptitiously controlled
by someone else.....and Self Control--where you control yourself and try to influence
others to do your bidding and do it Your Way? Every salesman uses this kind of Mind
Control. Many people are naturally talented in manipulation of others. Sometimes we
say they have "charisma."  The ability to manipulate and "influence" others is
certainly
an element in creating what we define as "success" in America. I think you have to
draw the line somewhere. Certainly NLP is blatantly manipulatuve, but is NLP really
that sinister?

sno0wl