-Caveat Lector-

On 6 Sep 99, , Prudence wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> In a message dated 09/06/1999 4:24:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> << For example, in reports from East Timor's capital, the Associated Press
>  and some other news outlets continue to use the dateline "Dili,
>  Indonesia," implying that Indonesia has a legitimate claim over East
>  Timor. This formulation is comparable to a dateline of "Kuwait City, Iraq"
>  in the months following Iraq's illegal annexation of Kuwait. The
>  Washington Post (8/31/99) reported that Timorese were voting on "whether
>  to remain a part of Indonesia." >>
>
> According to the television news, the United States has called on Indonesia
> to restore law and order.  We all know how they do that don't we?  If you
> kill off all the folks in East Timor, they can't complain.  Just what our
> Government wants--a peaceful silence.  Maybe this time they can send backhoes
> to dig pits to throw the bodies in.  Peaceful silence is nothing when it
> accompanies the stench of dead bodies.  Prudy

Tonight's news seems particularly disturbing. It's not just East Timor, it seems to be
happening everywhere--Colombia, Brazil, Detroit.... And wherever it's happening,
wherever people want "independence" or equitable labor laws or any kind of fair
treatment, the "media" seems to be suggesting that the upstarts are Marxist guerillas
or dangerous subversives, liberals or leftists. And everywhere it would seem the US is
supporting the suppressive governments and has trained the paramilitary militias and
the government armies who are controlling these malcontents....and, of course, if you
are an American with a 401k or almost any savings or investments, you are supporting
these suppressive governments and they are contributing to your wellbeing and
comfort...so can you really say that what they're doing is wrong (if they are moving
against the will of their outraged populations to protect American interests?) and you
are profiting from it?

Why do I sense that the net is being pulled in and that whatever it is --that old
beast--
is slouching closer and closer to home....

I even sense that the Waco revelations, which will focus attention once again on
Clinton and Reno--and very rightly so--will deflect criticism from George W. and help
him sweep into the presidency.

I must be depressed....is all....
sno0wl