-Caveat Lector-

>From The Free Republic

> Albanian mafia targets Britain
>

> Foreign Affairs News Keywords: ALBANIAN MAFIA KOSOVO NATO (BY DEFAULT)
> Source: The Guardian (UK)
> Published: September 7th 1999 Author: Nick Hopkins, Crime Correspondent
> Posted on 09/07/1999 16:05:42 PDT by Kate22
>

> Heavily-armed gangs throw out Italian families to seize control of the criminal
> underworld in Milan
>
> The Albanian mafia is targeting Britain in an effort to expand its European-wide
> illegal immigration, drug trafficking and arms dealing operations, security
> experts warned yesterday.
>
> According to the national criminal intelligence service, heavily armed Albanian
> gangs have established footholds in Germany, Switzerland, Greece and Italy and
> in recent months there have been signs of "organised criminal activity" in
> Britain.
>
> NCIS investigators said the power of the groups, which recently took control of
> the criminal underworld in Milan after a two-year power struggle, must not be
> underestimated.
>
> "They threw out the Italian mafia families," said an NCIS source. "That is how
> violent they are." Ian Morrison, head of NCIS's south-east region, said many
> Albanians seeking asylum in Britain were criminals posing as refugees.
>
> "There is evidence from customs and excise that this is happening. It stands to
> reason that some criminal groups will start to become established here. The same
> thing has happened in mainland Europe. The experience on the continent is that
> they are very aggressive. They present a serious and growing threat."
>
> The Albanian mafia is regarded as the fastest growing in Europe.
>
> It is thought to control many of the people-smuggling routes from east to west
> and has muscled in on the heroin trafficking trade run by Turkish mafias.
>
> Like traditional Sicilian mafias, the Albanian organisations are built around
> families. Every mafia member observes the Besa - a strict oath of trust and
> loyalty.
>
> Albanian gangs have been particularly active in Italy.
>
> Earlier this year, Pier Luigi Vigna, Italy's senior mafia prosecutor, chaired a
> summit in Bari to discuss how to tackle a crime wave that included the reported
> smuggling of 10 containers of radioactive material for sale on the black market.
>

> In November last year, police at Brindisi boarded a boat from Albania and seized
> four kilograms of liquid mercury which was being shipped to western Europe,
> probably for illegal weapons manufacture.
>
> Albanian gangs are also thought to have taken control of prostitution, gambling
> and drug dealing along Italy's Adriatic coast.
>
> The potential threat posed by the groups to Britain emerged yesterday when NCIS
> published its annual report.
>
> John Abbott, the director general, said the trafficking of illegal immigrants
> into Britain was currently controlled by 50 gangs, who charged up to £10,000 for
> [...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<<Let's see how all this can link up:
-- The Albanians funding and arming the KLA
-- NATO legitimising Albania ('refugee' camps, aid, et cetera) but disarming
   the KLA
-- KLA becoming the front organisation for the Albanians ('greater' Albania)
-- Albanians deriving strength from legitimacy (prestige, influence, $$$)
-- KLA becoming 'security' force in Kosovo, requiring arms
-- Italy not wanting KLA armed, aiding Albanian mafiosi
-- And the genii have all yet to leave the bottle
A<>E<>R >>

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.