-----Original Message-----
To: Linda A. Minor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sunday, September 19, 1999 12:57 AM
Subject: Fw: Prayers Needed

Dear Lin,

I thought you might like reading this letter from someone who tells about the Ft. Worth church shootings from within the church.  A friend from Wichita Falls sent this to us.  We've read the articles you've sent us regarding the shooting and it's all interesting and sad that this kind of thing happens in our society.

Date: Saturday, September 18, 1999 12:02 PM
Subject: Prayers Needed

I just received this from my friend, who was a member
of my youth choir and youth ensemble "The New Generation" when I was
minister of music in Nederland, TX.

  This was written by his brother,  a professor at
Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.

  I think it speaks for itself:

Dr. Dan R. Crawford
Professor of Evangelism and Spiritual Formation
Chair of Prayer
Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
P.O. Box 22,298
Fort Worth, TX  76122
Phone: (817) 923-1921, Ext. 6670
FAX: (817) 921-8767
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear Friends, Family and Prayer Partners,

Last Sunday, my sermon subject was "When God Gives a Test" from Genesis 22.
Little did I know how much I, myself would need the truths of that sermon
this week.

Wednesday evening, while my family worshipped at our church, Wedgwood
Baptist Church in Fort Worth, our faith was suddenly and dramatically put
to the test.

A lone gunman entered our church facilities.  In the foyer, he shot two
Southwestern Seminary students and a recent graduate, then entered the
worship center and began to shoot into the audience of mostly teen-agers
attending a post See-You-At-The-Pole Prayer and Praise rally.  More than
forty were injured before the gunman took his own life.  As of today, eight
are dead and several others remain in hospitals in various conditions.  Two
of the dead were Seminary students, one was a recent graduate.  Others were
our friends and fellow church members.

My wife, Joanne, heard someone shouting, "I've been shot!  This is no joke!
I've been shot!"  She walked out of the Fellowship Hall, where the adults
were having Prayer Meeting, and saw Kevin Galey, our church Counselor
laying on the floor, being attended too by other church members.  His shirt
was covered with blood.  Twenty years ago, when I was Baptist Student
Ministries Director at the University of Texas, Kevin was on my Student
Leadership Council.  He used to baby sit with our children.  Wanting to
stop and help, Joanne also knew that our seven-year old granddaughter was
in GAs in another part of the building.  She ran, passing other wounded, to
where Whitney and other girls were participating in their children's
activity.  As the first to arrive there with the news, Joanne helped get
the children safely out of the building and across the street to an
elementary school.  Later I would spend several hours at that elementary
school ministering to Seminary students and friends.

Our phone rang into the wee hours of Thursday morning and has continued as
friends from near and far call to see if we are OK, to assure us of their
prayers and to get information.  Thursday morning my office e-mail was
filled with correspondence from around the world as former students picked
up pieces of the news over the internet.  Yesterday's Seminary chapel
service was long and emotional.  Classes were turned into group counseling
sessions.  Everywhere I went, someone wanted to talk about the shooting.
Reporters were every where competing for quotes.  CBS news even called our
home phone number to get a quote.  Today has been much of the same.
Tomorrow, we will attend three funeral services.  Sunday, I will sit aside
my planned sermon and try to offer biblical answers to the questions of the
people who attend the church where I serve as Interim Pastor.

How can you pray for us?  Many have asked. Please know in advance that your
prayer support is and will be greatly appreciated.

1.  Pray for Joanne.  She is still processing all of the events and today is
emotionally drained and physically tired. Today's Fort Worth had a diagram
of where each shooting actually happened and Joanne realized for the first
time how near she was to some of those who were killed.
2.  Pray for our granddaughter, Whitney.  She saw far too much blood and
chaos.  She doesn't want to go to school because they prayed at the
flagpole and people got shot in the same day.  She doesn't want to go to
church because she is afraid there are dead bodies there as well as a
killer who will try to kill people.  Also, pray for our daughter Danna as
she tries to minister to her daughter, Whitney.
3.  Pray for me as I try to find satisfactory answers to difficult questions
I'm being asked.  I have tried to give strength and encouragement to so
many people and now I find need for the same thing.  Who helps hurting
Samaritans?
4.  Pray for our friend and Pastor Dr. Al Meridith.  On Wednesday, he had
just returned from Michigan and the funeral of his mother.  He had gone by
his house to freshen up and grab a bite to eat before going to the church
for some after-prayer service meetings.  His home phone rang and a reporter
wanted a quote.  It was his first awareness of the shooting.  He has been
up since then, ministering, answering reporters questions, speaking in
Seminary Chapel, etc.  He has three funerals tomorrow and more to come.  He
must address a hurting congregation on Sunday.
5.  Pray for our church family.  We are grieving.  We are stunned.  We have
many questions.  We must go on.   We will worship Sunday in a worship
center where some of our friends and fellow church members were killed.
Check our church web page for updated information.
http://www.wedgwoodbc.org.
6.  Pray for the Southwestern Seminary family.  We have lost students and
alumni.  We have many students who will address congregations, youth
groups, Sunday School classes, etc. this Sunday and be expected to provide
insight if not answers.
7.  Pray for our society.  I am absolutely convinced if God does send
spiritual awakening in response to our prayers, we can say good-bye to our
society as we have known it.  Where can we go to avoid violence?  Work?
Malls?  Public Buildings? Schools?  Churches? Home?  We need a national,
God-sent revival.  We need more, but that is the beginning that will save
us from the end.
8.  Finally, give thanks to God for His protection over the hundreds who
were present in the church facilities and were not physically injured.

A former student shared this verse with me yesterday via e-mail.  It is
appropriate. "The Lord is good, a stronghold in times of trouble.  He cares
for those who take refuge in Him."  Nahum 1:7.