-Caveat Lector-

Your points are well taken, DG. Individual departments within academia are
politicized.  It has a lot to do with job security, career advancement and
the usual office politics that can be found in most large institutions.

But many of the individuals in academia who claim to be PC are anything
but.  Academics are as racist and mean-spirited as many individuals in the
general population (sometimes more so).  Many of the champions of PC are
complete hypocrites....but hypocrites can be found in any number of
different professions: doctors, lawyers, businessmen, etc.

A similar opportunistic dynamic occurs on the "conservative" side of the
political spectrum.  If you were to attend an institution in the south,
you would find that some academics are eager to jump on the neo-liberal or
conservative bandwagon...because it's rather trendy these days to be
a "libertarian" or market enthusiast.

There has always been a war going on within academia....  Conservatives
pack their departments with colleagues who are sympathetic to their
views, and leftists do the same.  Some of the departments at major
universities begin to take on the characteristics of covens....one has to
be a member of the particular cult in order to have job security.

If the left dominates and controls the political climate at SF State and
Cal, one can go to Vanderbilt, Clemson, Tulane, SMU any number of
institutions in the south for a right wing version of the same dynamic.

Sometimes these squabbles break out into the open.  Look at what happened
at Yale.  They had to build a separate English department for the Bloom
contingent. The constant bickering, sniping, bad blood and "dirty tricks"
is just the way the game is played in academe.

But Parenti's criticism has some validity.  Universities are not outside
the realm of politics...  They are dependent on corporate and government
largesse...so they are not going to bite the hand that feeds them.  Also,
notice how education in America increasingly has a great deal to do with
socialization, entertainment, "the university experience," sports, finding
an affluent mate...and very little to do with critical thinking.

This "dumbing down" is not the result of evil PC liberals...on the
contrary... it's a result of post-industrial capitalism.  Corporate
America needs consumers....sheep who will do what they're told.  They
would prefer an educational system that prepares individuals to follow
orders, not question authority.

Regards,
Wm