-Caveat Lector-

Why should we stop the
 M.A.I.?

MAI stands for
"MULTILATERAL AGREEMENT ON INVESTMENT."

The MAI is being quietly negotiated through the Organization
for Economic
Cooperation and Development (OECD), a club of 29 rich
countries, with no
meaningful debate or input from citizens. The World Trade
Organization calls it
"the constitution of a single global economy." 1 The MAI
would be "open to
accession by all countries,"p11 MAI text with intense
pressure to join. The text
uses deceptive legal language which obscures the
consequences for most
people. "Investor" is broadly defined, but large
corporations would benefit most
because of their size, resources, political and legal clout,
and presence in
many countries.

How would transnational corporations benefit?

     AN UNACCOUNTABLE GLOBAL COURT or "effective dispute
     settlement procedures."p9 Governments would give their
"unconditional
     consent to the submission of a dispute"p63 to this new
global tribunal.

*************************************************************************************With
few exceptions, virtually all our laws, right down to our
local
     bylaws, would be subject to the threat of successful
corporate
     lawsuits through the
MAI.**********************************************************************************

If investors from other countries which sign
     the MAI decided that one of our laws breached the MAI,
including laws
     that held them accountable to employees or our
community, they could
     sue our government for virtually unlimited damages p62
under an
     onerous "expropriationand compensation" clause.p51
Tribunal rulings
     would be "final and binding."p67
     OUTLAWING LOCAL CONTROL. The MAI would phase out laws
     which restrain transnational business, in order to
foster "liberalization of
     investment regimes." Our governments would
"rollback"p154 or remove
     laws that violated the MAI and achieve "standstill"p152
i.e. not pass
     any more laws which, for instance, hinder access to
government
     contracts by foreign investors,p31 or give advantage to
domestic firms.
     Under "Transparency,"p15 governments would create a
hit-list of all
     "non-conforming" laws subject to standstill, rollback,
or potential
     investor disputes.
     RULES FAVOURING GLOBAL BUSINESS would enforce "national
     treatment" (between foreign and domestic investors) and
"most
     favoured nation" statusp15 (between foreign investors).
Every foreign
     investor could claim "treatment no less favourable"
than that applied to
     the most favoured investor, whether domestic or
foreign, in a given
     country. Domestic businesses in our high-wage,
democratic countries
     would compete directly with foreign investors (i.e. the
transnationals)
     which operate or source in low- wage, low-tax regions
ruled by
     repressive regimes. The MAI would ban restrictions on
"transfers"p53
     of capital or "key personnel."p16 Jobs, plants and
profits could move
     anywhere, anytime with no financial penalty. The MAI
would also
     prohibit "performance requirements"p19 which require
investors to
     buy, source, hire or invest locally, rather than in
low-wage, repressive
     regimes.

How would common people benefit from the MAI?

THE MAI DRAFT OFFERS NO BENEFITS FOR NON-INVESTORS. The
preamble just has vague assurances such as "the creation of
employment
opportunities and the improvement of living standards."p9
However, this
sounds unlikely if, for instance, the MAI would ban
"performance
requirements" which encourage job creation or local
investment. Also, the MAI
tribunal would have no provision for governments to sue
foreign
investors,2 i.e. no means to prosecute foreign-based
corporations on
environmental, labour or any other social concerns. The U.S.
Council on
International Business is uncompromising on this: "We will
oppose any and all
measures to create or even imply binding obligations for
governments or
business related to the environment or labour."

Why does our government want this treaty?

THE MAI IS A PRODUCT OF ONGOING GOVERNMENT DECEPTION. MPs
are not being fully informed. Sergio Marchi, Minister for
International Trade,
has allowed only a few little-publicized hearings. He even
claimed "there is no
agreement," that MAI discussions are "preliminary." Yet the
MAI was almost
ratified in May 1997. Now, contrary to media reports, the
MAI is not dead, but
has simply switched to one-on-one negotations to deal with
dissenting OECD
countries. If they sign on, they would be locked in for 20
years.p95 This "would
offend the centuries-old principle... that no government or
parliament tie the
hands of a future parliament." (Bill Blaikie, MP)

You can hold MP's accountable on the MAI

     WRITE YOUR MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT. Try our sample letter
on
     the reverse. It challenges MPs to justify their
government's own
     proposal: "Who would benefit from each MAI proposal,
and why should
     they? Who would bear what costs and risks, and why
should they?" Try
     our letter-writing guidelines. Follow up with phone
calls, more letters
     and a meeting. Be sure to ask if s/he has a copy of the
MAI draft text.
     Without it, your MP cannot claim to be properly
informed.
     Write op-eds and letters, especially to community
papers which are
     more likely to accept them.
     Educate yourself and all your friends about the MAI and
     accountability.

Visit our comprehensive website for more information
(below). You can
help hold our government accountable on the MAI, NAFTA and
other
anti-democratic proposals, and reclaim Canada for ALL
Canadians -- not just a
greedy few!

SOURCES: 1. Preamble Collaborative (US); 2. The Corporate
Rule Treaty, Tony Clarke, CCPA
Apr 97; "P" page no's are from the latest draft M.A.I.:
Consolidated Text & Summary, 1 Oct 97
(see our website.) Updated 16 May 1998.

          "M.A.I.? Tell us why"
      "No answers, no M.A.I.!"

  The MAI-Not! Project, OPIRG-Carleton (Ontario Public
Interest Research
                          Group)

     E-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      http://mai.flora.org/
                                    newsgroup flora.mai-not

   1125 Colonel By Drive, Room 326 Unicentre, Carleton
University, Ottawa ON K1S 5B6
                  (613) 520-2757, fax (613) 520-3989