-Caveat Lector-

http://www.deoxy.org/usdrugs.htm

The war on (certain) drugs
Noam Chomsky in What Uncle Sam Really Wants

One substitute for the disappearing Evil Empire has been the threat of drug
traffickers from Latin America. In early September 1989, a major
government-media blitz was launched by the President. That month the AP
wires carried more stories about drugs than about Latin America, Asia, the
Middle East and Africa combined. If you looked at television, every news
program had a big section on how drugs were destroying our society, becoming
the greatest threat to our existence, etc.

The effect on public opinion was immediate. When Bush won the 1988 election,
people said the budget deficit was the biggest problem facing the country.
Only about 3% named drugs. After the media blitz, concern over the budget
was way down and drugs had soared to about 40% to 45%, which is highly
unusual for an open question (where no specific answers are suggested).

Now, when some client state complains that the US government isn't sending
it enough money, they no longer say, "we need it to stop the Russians" -
rather, "we need it to stop drug trafficking." Like the Soviet threat, this
enemy provides a good excuse for a US military presence where there's rebel
activity or other unrest.

So internationally, "the war on drugs" provides a cover for intervention.
Domestically, it has little to do with drugs but a lot to do with
distracting the population, increasing repression in the inner cities, and
building support for the attack on civil liberties.
That's not to say that "substance abuse" isn't a serious problem. At the
time the drug war was launched, deaths from tobacco were estimated at about
300,000 a year, with perhaps another 100,000 from alcohol. But these aren't
the drugs the Bush administration targeted. It went after illegal drugs,
which had caused many fewer deaths - over 3500 a year - according to
official figures. One reason for going after these drugs was that their use
had been declining for some years, so the Bush administration could safely
predict that its drug war would "succeed" in lowering drug use.

The Administration also targeted marijuana, which hadn't caused any known
deaths among some 60 million users. In fact, the crackdown has exacerbated
the drug problem - many marijuana users have turned from this relatively
harmless drug to more dangerous drugs like cocaine, which are easier to
conceal.

Just as the drug war was launched with great fanfare in September 1989, the
US Trade Representative (USTR) panel held a hearing in Washington to
consider a tobacco industry request that the US impose sanctions on Thailand
in retaliation for its efforts to restrict US tobacco imports and
advertising. Such US government actions had already rammed this lethal
addictive narcotic down the throats of consumers in Japan, South Korea and
Taiwan, with human costs of the kind already indicated.

The US Surgeon General, Everett Koop, testified at the USTR panel that "when
we are pleading with foreign governments to stop the flow of cocaine, it is
the height of hypocrisy for the United States to export tobacco." He added,
"years from now, our nation will look back on this application of free trade
policy and find it scandalous."
Thai witnesses also protested, predicting that the consequence of US
sanctions would be to reverse a decline in smoking achieved by their
government's campaign against tobacco use. Responding to the US tobacco
companies' claim that their product is the best in the world, a Thai witness
said, "Certainly in the Golden Triangle we have some of the best products,
but we never ask the principle of free trade to govern such products. In
fact we suppressed [them]." Critics recalled the Opium War 150 years
earlier, when the British government compelled China to open its doors to
opium from British India, sanctimoniously pleading the virtues of free trade
as they forcefully imposed large-scale drug addiction on China.

Here we have the biggest drug story of the day. Imagine the screaming
headlines: "U.S. Government The World's Leading Drug Peddler." It would
surely sell papers. But the story passed virtually unreported, and with not
a hint of the obvious conclusions.

Another aspect of the drug problem, which also received little attention, is
the leading role of the US government in stimulating drug trafficking since
World War II. This happened in part when the US began its postwar task of
undermining the anti-fascist resistance and the labor movement became an
important target.

In France, the threat of political power and influence of the labor movement
was enhanced by its steps to impede the flow of arms to French forces
seeking to reconquer their former colony of Vietnam with US aid. So the CIA
undertook to weaken and split the French labor movement - with the aid of
top American labor leaders, who were quite proud of their role.

The task required strikebreakers and goons. There was an obvious supplier:
the Mafia. Of course, they didn't take on this work just for the fun of it.
They wanted a return for their efforts. And it was given to them: they were
authorized to reestablish the heroin racket that had been suppressed by the
fascist governments - the famous "French connection" that dominated the drug
trade until the 1960s.
By then, the center of the drug trade shifted to Indochina, particularly
Laos and Thailand. The shift was again a by-product of a CIA operation - the
"secret war" fought in those countries during the Vietnam War by a CIA
mercenary army. They also wanted a payoff for their contributions. Later, as
the CIA shifted its activities to Pakistan and Afghanistan, the drug racket
boomed there.

The clandestine war against Nicaragua also provided a shot in the arm to
drug traffickers in the region, as illegal CIA arms flights to the US
mercenary forces offered an easy way to ship drugs back to the US, sometimes
through US Air Force bases, traffickers report.

The close correlation between the drug racket and international terrorism
(sometimes called "counterinsurgency," "low intensity conflict" or some
other euphemism) is not surprising. Clandestine operations need plenty of
money, which should be undetectable. And they need criminal operatives as
well. The rest follows.

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this
material is distributed without charge or profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type
of information for non-profit research and educational
purposes only.

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/smilinks/thirdeye.html