-Caveat Lector-

from:
http://www.strategicintel.com/burrows.htm
<A HREF="http://www.strategicintel.com/burrows.htm">When Nixon Met Elvis</A>
-----
When Nixon Met Elvis
(Secret Agent Man)

Elvis Presley met President Richard M. Nixon in the Oval Office in
December 1970. A photograph of that meeting is one of the most famous in
our collection. Through the original letters and memorandums written by
Presley and the White House staff, this exhibit tells the
behind-the-scenes story of how the meeting was arranged. In addition, we
present for the first time all 28 photographs taken of this remarkable
event.

The Letter

On the morning of December 21, 1970, Elvis Presley personally delivered
a letter to the northwest gate of the White House. Written on American
Airlines stationery, the five-page letter requested a meeting with
President Nixon. Presley intended to present the President with a gift
of a World War II-era pistol and obtain for himself the credentials of a
federal agent in the war on drugs.
Page 1 of Presley's LetterDear Mr. President.
First, I would like to introduce myself. I am Elvis Presley and admire
you and have great respect for your office. I talked to Vice President
Agnew in Palm Springs three weeks ago and expressed my concern for our
country. The drug culture, the hippie elements, the SDS, Black Panthers,
etc. do NOT consider me as their enemy or as they call it The
Establishment. I call it America and I love it. Sir, I can and will be
of any service that I can to help The Country out. I have no concern or
Motives other than helping the country out.

ELVIS PRESLEY'S LETTER CONTINUES . . .

Presley's letter was delivered to President Nixon's appointments
secretary, Dwight Chapin. Chapin immediately wrote a memo to the
President's chief of staff H. R. Haldeman requesting time on Nixon's
schedule and outlining the nature of the proposed meeting.
Part 2: The Meeting is Arranged
Part 3: In the Oval Office

Citations and Credits
All photographs and textual documents used in When Nixon Met Elvis were
reproduced from the original records in the custody of the Nixon
Presidential Materials Staff (NLNP), National Archives at College Park,
MD. A general description of the Oval Office photographs in this exhibit
are available in the NAIL database as "Photographs of President Nixon
and Elvis Presley." The quotation from the book The Day Elvis Met Nixon,
copyright © 1994 by Pejama Press, is used with permission. Special Note:
Photographs included in this exhibit were taken by a White House
photographer, transferred to NARA as part of the materials under the
Presidential Recordings and Materials Preservation Act, and are
considered by NARA to be in the public domain. However, the estates of
Richard Nixon and Elvis Presley may claim rights in their likenesses and
images, and further use of these photographs may be subject to those
claims. Anyone who intends to download these images and use them
commercially should first contact the appropriate representatives of
former President Nixon or Mr. Presley or consult with his own legal
counsel.
 =====
National Archives and Records Administration

The Meeting is Arranged

In his memorandum to H. R. Haldeman, aide Dwight Chapin described the
purpose of Elvis Presley's unexpected visit to the White House:
The thrust of Presley's letter is that he wants to become a "Federal
agent at large" to work against the drug problem by communicating with
people of all ages . . .
I suggest we do the following:

This morning Bud [Egil] Krogh will have Mr. Presley in and talk to him
about drugs and about what Presley can do. Bud will also check to see if
there is some kind of honorary agent at large or credential of some sort
that we can provide for Presley. After Bud has met with Presley, it is
recommended that we have Bud bring Presley in during the Open Hour to
meet briefly with the President . . .  Chapin also suggested that
Presley might be just the person for Mr. Nixon to speak with, if he was
interested in meeting "some bright young people" outside the government.
Next to this comment, H. R. Haldeman scrawled in pen "You must be
kidding." [You can see an image of Dwight Chapin's memorandum (129K
JPEG).]

Shortly afterward, Egil Krogh met with Elvis Presley in the Old
Executive Office Building, next to the White House. With Presley were
his two bodyguards, Jerry Schilling and Sonny West. In his book The Day
Elvis Met Nixon (1994), Krogh states that he was at first surprised by
Presley's appearance because he was not wearing the standard business
attire of male visitors to the White House:

But in his own rock star way, he was resplendent. He was wearing
tight-fitting dark velvet pants, a white silky shirt with very high
collars and open to below his chest, a dark purple velvet cape, a gold
medallion, and heavy silver-plated amber-tinted designer sunglasses with
"EP" built into the nose bridge. Around his waist was a belt with a huge
four-inch by six-inch gold belt buckle with a complex design I couldn't
make out without embarrassing myself. . . This was a time in sartorial
history when gold chains festooned the necks of many of the more
style-conscious men in our society. However, gold chains hadn't quite
made their way onto the necks of male staff members in the White House,
at least during working hours.
Otherwise, the meeting went well. Krogh was convinced of Presley's
sincerity and of his potential value in the fight against drug use by
young people. He told Presley to return to his hotel and to wait for his
call. Shortly afterward, Krogh learned that the meeting had been
approved by Haldeman and quickly drafted an agenda for the 12:30
meeting. You can read Egil Krogh's agenda (153K JPEG).
=====

In the Oval Office, Section A

Elvis Presley appeared at the northwest gate of the White House at 11:45
for his meeting with President Nixon. Egil Krogh met Presley and his
bodyguards and led them to the Oval Office reception area. At 12:30
Krogh and Presley joined the President in his office. Krogh was present
throughout the meeting and made detailed notes of what was said. These
notes were later summarized in a memorandum (132K JPEG). The meeting was
photographed by White House photographer Ollie Atkins.
Note: Each image is also available as a higher-resolution JPEG of
approximately 60K.
President Nixon greets Elvis Presley. The singer is holding law
enforcement badges awarded to him, and photographs of his wife and
child.
5364-2
5364-3
5364-4
The President examines the photographs and expresses admiration for
Presley's daughter, Lisa Marie. Looking at the police credentials, Mr.
Nixon points out how important it is that Americans support law
enforcement.
=====
National Archives and Records Administration
In the Oval Office, Section B

Note: Each image is also available as a higher-resolution JPEG of
approximately 60K.
Presidential aide Egil Krogh observes the conversation and keeps
detailed notes of the proceedings.

5364-10 Krogh's notes of what was said at the meeting were summarized in
a memorandum (132K JPEG).
5364-11
5364-12
5364-13

Mr. Nixon suggests that he pose for some photographs with Presley
in front of the office's military service flags. [Item 5364-18 is the
most famous of the photographs.]
5364-14
5364-15
5364-16
5364-17
5364-18
5364-19
In the Oval Office, Section C
=====
National Archives and Records Administration
In the Oval Office, Section C

Note: Each image is also available as a higher-resolution JPEG of
approximately 60K.
The President and Elvis Presley continue their conversation. At one
point, the President
expresses interest in the ornate cuff links worn by Presley.
Presidential aide Egil Krogh looks on.
5364-20
5364-21
5364-22
5364-23

As the meeting ends, bodyguards Sonny West (left) and Jerry Schilling
are brought in to meet the President.
5369-12a
5369-13a
5369-14a
5369-15a
5369-16a
5369-17a
=====

Epilogue

Following his meeting with the President, Elvis Presley and his
bodyguards ate lunch with Egil Krogh in the White House dining room.
Presley received his badge that afternoon from the Bureau of Narcotics
and Dangerous Drugs.
Several days later, the President sent Elvis Presley a warm thank you
note with best wishes for the new year. Egil Krogh, in The Day Elvis Met
Nixon (1994), expressed regret that an opportunity for Elvis to "work
with the White House staff" never arose, because "I liked him a lot."
Presley's gift to the President, a World War II-era Colt 45, is now on
display at the Richard Nixon Library and Birthplace in Yorba Linda, CA.

Part 1: The Letter
Part 2: The Meeting is Arranged

Part 3: In the Oval Office

Presidential books, china, and other memorabilia are available for sale
in the NARA Gift Shop.

[Exhibit Hall]

National Archives and Records Administration
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.
Em Hotep, Peace Be,