-Caveat Lector-

>From EmperorsNewClothes

>>>Begin article<<<

Spanish experts see no Serbian genocide in Kosovo
by Pablo Ordaz
commentary by Jared Israel (9-27-99)
[The website http://www.emperors-clothes.com encourages everyone to reproduce
the following report in full including this note.]
The following article from El Pais (The Country), a mainstream Spanish
magazine, is most important. For months we've been barraged with stories
claiming Serbs killed thousands of ethnic Albanians and dumped them in mass
graves in Kosovo. Recently I did an internet search for newspaper articles,
appearing in the past 90 days, and including the words 'Kosovo' and 'mass
grave.' The report came back: 'More than 1000 - too many to list.' I had to
limit the search to articles in the NY Times and even then came up with 80,
nearly one a day.
It has been a giant air balloon of anti-Serbian publicity, but now comes the
pin: Spanish forensic experts, just back from Northern Kosovo where, they were
told, they would have to inspect the worst Serbian atrocities, found no mass
graves and no evidence of torture.
We received this article at 11 PM on 9/23 and had a translation the next
morning thanks to Herb Foerstal in the U.S. The translation was then checked
for accuracy, again on no notice and within a few hours, thanks to Juli
o Fernández Baraiba in Argentina.
Below is the article from El Pais, followed by a commentary.
El Pais
23 septiembre 1999 - Nº 1238
by PABLO ORDAZ in Madrid
Spanish police and forensic experts have not found proof of Genocide in the North of
Kosovo. Prisoners [in the prison in] Istok were shot after the bombardment of NATO.
Crimes of War - yes, Genocide - no. This was definitely shown yesterday by the group
of Spanish experts formed by officials from the Scientific Police and Civilian
Forensics that has just returned from Istok, the Zone in
the North of Kosovo under the control of the Legion. {Spanish Legion? - EC} 187
cadavers found and analyzed in 9 villages were buried in individual graves, oriented
for the most part toward Mecca out of respect for the re
ligious beliefs of the Albanian Kosovars and without sign of torture. "There were no
mass graves. For the most part the Serbs are not as bad as they have been painted,"
reflected the forensic official Emilio Pérez Pujo.
That was not the only irony. Also questioned were the successive counts that are being
offered by the "allies" on the tragedy of Kosovo. "I have been reading the data from
UN said Pérez Pujol, Director of the Forensic Ana
tomical Institute of Cartagena. "And they began with 44,000 deaths. Then they lowered
it to 22,000. And now they're going with 11,000. I look forward to seeing what the
final count will really be." The Spanish Mission whi
ch should now submit a report to the International War Crimes Tribunal in The Hague,
left from Madrid in the beginning of the month of the August with the feeling that
they were going on a road to hell. "They told us that
 we were going to the worst zone of Kosovo. That we should prepare ourselves to
perform more than 2000 autopsies. That we would have to work until the end of
November. The result is very different. We only found 187 cadav
ers and now we are going to return," explained the chief inspector, Juan López
Palafox, responsible for the Office of Anthropology and Scientific Police.
The forensic people, as well as the police, applied their experience in Rwanda in
order to determine what occurred in Kosovo at least in that section assigned to the
Spanish detachment and they were not able to find evide
nce of genocide.
"In the former Yugoslavia," said López Palafox, "crimes were committed, some no doubt
horrible, but they derived from the war. In Rwanda we saw 450 corpses of women and
children, one on top of another, all with their head
s broken open." The Chief Inspector added that in Kosovo, on the contrary, they had
found many isolated corpses. "It gives the impression that the Serbs gave a choice to
the families to leave their homes. If some member o
f the clan, for whatever reason, decided to remain, upon returning they were found
dead from a shot or by whatever other method." {our emphasis}
One of the members of the Spanish mission shed light on events in the Istok prison,
bombed at the end of May by NATO planes. The work, directed by López Palafox and Pérez
Pujol was aimed at solving the following mystery:
who killed the more than 100 prisoners - the bombs of NATO or the bullets of Serbian
soldiers? The answer, according to the preliminary studies, is clear. Some of the
cadavers analyzed had shrapnel wounds and therefore cl
early appeared to have been killed by the bombardment. But others died of clear clean
bullet wounds, perhaps from the bullets of machine guns. The most likely thesis is
that after the bombardment, the prison inmates tried
 to flee and were shot by Serbian guards.
***
Commentary
by Jared Israel
I've been reading mass grave stories in the New York Times for most of a day. I hope
to do a detailed analysis soon. Meanwhile, here are a few observations:
* You would expect these stories to be horrifying. What is surprising is that they are
so repetitious - using the same phrases - that reading them is exhausting.
* The articles are often written in semi-fictional style, as in "A cap lay on the
ground, stained bright red. 'Who would believe the Serbs would do this?' asked the
gaunt Albanian. A tear trickled down the old man's cheek
." This kind of writing encourages the reader to suspend disbelief, as one does when
reading a short story, to accept emotionally charged statements as true.
* Evidence, if any, is anecdotal; sources are vague.
* The discovery or even the rumor of a grave is cited (often in a press conference by
some authority figure) as proof of Serbian atrocities.
These 'atrocities' are discussed in great, though entirely speculative, detail. Trial
by media. It is enough to make you gaga, especially when you read such 'news' for
hours at a time. The mental equivalent of smog.
* Arguments are circular. A supposed mass grave is discovered. Assumptions are
(publicly and loudly) made about the unopened grave: the dead bodies will be
Albanians; they will be civilians; they will turn out to have bee
n killed by Serbs; the Serbs will have been soldiers or policemen. There is no
systematic follow-up, no testing of these predictions against fact. Rather, such
speculations, once uttered, become part of the record, to be
cited in later articles as if proven.
The Spanish experts were told they would find 2000 bodies. They found 187. That is
about 10%. Many of the 187 died when NATO bombed a prison or, apparently. afterwards,
trying to escape. The war crime involved here is NAT
O's: it is a crime of war to bomb any nonmilitary target, let alone a prison, the
ultimate sitting duck.
Let me dwell on this point for a moment. NATO of course knew that the U.S. Air Force
had bombed the prison at Istok; it was publicly reported at the time and anyway, the
U.S. Air Force leads NATO, so, as a teenage America
n would say, 'like, du-uh.' It was also no mystery that these bombs killed people,
prisoners and guards - that's what bombs do. Obviously if the term 'war crime' has any
meaning, bombing a prison is a war crime.
Then why, may I ask, were the Spanish forensic scientists told to look for evidence of
Serbian war crimes at Istok? Given that a massive war crime (the bombing of a prison)
was publicly known to have been committed by the
 U.S. Air Force, why weren't the forensic scientists instructed to look for a U.S. war
crime? Why is it necessary for them now to give a press conference to reveal the
STARTLING news that when the U.S. Air Force bombs a p
rison to smithereens - it is not an act of Serbian genocide??
The Spanish scientists and policemen are correctly perceived as heroic for standing up
and saying: the bombing of a prison by the U.S. Air Force is not a Serbian war crime.
Doesn't the fact that this is indeed an act of h
eroism tell us something about the present international climate?
Down to 5%
The Spanish forensic scientists speculate that the remaining cadavers were Albanian
civilians killed by Serbian troops or police. If these speculations are correct, these
people could be victims of Serbian war crimes. Tha
t's about 100 people, 5% of the promised 2000.
In considering this 5%, I suggest we adopt a cautious approach.
"Impressions"
Every official in a NATO country is under pressure to parrot the NATO line.
Nevertheless these Spanish experts aired their reservations publicly. Note that when
they discussed the individuals with bullet wounds they made
clear they were speculating:
"It gives the IMPRESSION that the Serbs gave a choice to the families to leave their
homes. If some member of the clan, for whatever reason, decided to remain, upon
returning they were found dead."
Of course, one can only get the "impression" that these people were shot by "the
Serbs" for refusing to leave their homes if one accepts that they were members of
families whom "the Serbs" had ordered to leave. But how co
uld the scientists know this? They could only 'know it' from witnesses.
The El Pais story says nothing about witnesses, so now we must speculate; fortunately
we do know a few things.
First, Kosovo is under a reign of terror by the Kosovo Liberation Army, with NATO's
blessing. At the end of this commentary we list a few articles documenting that reign
of terror, including first hand accounts. (See note
 1 at end)
Second, both NATO and the KLA have a strong interest in proving that the Serbian
government had a policy of genocide against Albanians. NATO needs to prove this
because the existence of Serbian genocide was NATO's justifi
cation for bombing Yugoslavia for 78 days. The KLA needs to prove it because Serbian
genocide is the KLA's justification for driving Serbs and "Gypsies" out of Kosovo. As
Clinton adviser Sandy Berger put it, speaking for
NATO and the KLA:
"All across Kosovo, we see reminders that America and our allies did the right thing
in taking a stand against ethnic cleansing…. The Serb forces responsible for the
violence are gone…But there is also tremendous sadness
-- from the pain of remembering and the devastation left behind by Milosevic's
campaign of hate. And in many victims there is rage, a desire for justice, and
sometimes revenge." (Foreign Policy Adviser Sandy Berger, "Rema
rks to Council on Foreign Relations", July 26, 1999)
In this remarkable speech Mr. Berger a) gives the KLA the green light to attack Serbs
because it's all quite understandable considering the "tremendous sadness" and
"victims" consumed with "rage" and b) makes the purpose
of the war crimes investigations perfectly clear. That purpose is NOT to discover the
truth. Discovery is unnecessary; Mr. Berger has discovered the truth in advance.
Rather the purpose of investigation is to provide "rem
inders that America and our allies did the right thing."
Thus the investigation is controlled by two highly interested parties, NATO and the
KLA. Their control includes not only the handling of evidence but the recruitment and
preparation of witnesses. Obviously such witnesses
can be either agents of the KLA or under KLA domination. Any witness providing
testimony disliked by the KLA would be risking his or her life. And as a recent story
in the mainstream media suggests, the KLA considers lyin
g a perfectly legitimate weapon in winning international support. (See note 2 at end)
So much for the witnesses.
Bigots with a heart
And then there is the problem of the graves. The Spanish experts say the cadavers were
found in individual graves, not mass graves. That is thoughtful of the Serbs. And even
more thoughtful: the graves were "oriented for
the most part toward Mecca out of respect for the religious beliefs of the Albanian
Kosovars…"
This is curious. I have read many newspaper articles which argue that Serbs are
hostile to Albanians because the Albanians are (mostly) Muslims. This supposed
hostility was supposedly the motivation for alleged anti-Alban
ian atrocities. The Serbs say they don't hate anybody, that they have been fighting to
preserve a multiethnic society against a terrorist assault by a racist faction among
ethnic Albanians - a faction backed by the U.S. a
nd Germany.
Let's assume the newspapers are right and the Serbs are mistaken. So first Serbian
troops murdered these 100 Albanians out of religious hatred - and then they buried the
Albanians facing Mecca out of religious respect. Is
n't this rather strange behavior?
Perhaps the Spanish experts were lied to. Perhaps they were shown the bodies of KLA
troops who died fighting the Yugoslav army; hence the bullet wounds (inflicted in
battle) and the respectful burial (performed by the KLA
 army). That at least would make sense.
There are many graves in Kosovo, too many. For a year and a half a fierce war raged
between KLA terrorists and the Yugoslav Army and police. Aside from those who died in
the fighting, we have credible evidence that the KL
A executed many pro-Yugoslav Albanians, as well as non-Albanians (who do not
necessarily differ from Albanians in appearance) not to mention Yugoslav
soldiers and policemen.
So, thousands of people died and were buried. The KLA has had a free hand in
Kosovo since early June, plenty of time to move bodies around, to dress dead
soldiers as civilians and to tutor 'grieving relatives' until their stories
sound believable. And despite all that the Spanish scientists, sent to the zone
of the worst Serbian atrocities, came back virtually empty-handed.
Investigation? or Inquisition?
Some people ask: are you saying Serbs are incapable of committing atrocities?
No, as with all populations, some Serbian people are probably capable of
committing atrocities. But to go from this general possibility to the charge
that the Serbian armed forces systematically killed Albanian civilians (while
publicly arguing for multi-ethnic unity and indeed arming many Albanians
against the KLA) is to go quite a distance. Traversing it requires something:
proof.
American legal theory says a person is innocent until proven guilty. Implicit
in this approach is the notion that criminal investigation should be conducted
by disinterested parties with a goal of finding out if there has been a crime
and discovering the truth, not in proving a case to destroy some enemy.
Aside from whether this standard is actually applied in the U.S. legal system
(a highly debatable point) shouldn't we insist it be applied when dealing with
alleged mass crimes possibly implicating a government and an entire people? Or
should such investigations be launched only as needed to justify NATO policy?
Should guilt then be decided by a hostile US press with government officials
making prejudicial statements before the fact? Should the evidence be the
testimony of 'witnesses' supplied by the US side in a vicious war, 'witnesses'
who testify in secret, 'witnesses' who are never cross-examined by the accused?
The use of these Inquisitorial methods of proof rebounds, proving that NATO
(that is, the US government) and the media are trying to railroad the Serbian
people.
Every time an accusation is made, two parties go on trial: the accused and the
accuser. For if an accusation can be shown to be false, then the question must
be asked: was it made with malicious intent? Was it perhaps cooked up to divert
attention from and/or justify some other crime, some greater crime? Some crime,
perhaps, committed by the accuser? (see note 4 at end)
The Spanish forensic scientists and policemen quoted in El Pais have done us
all a service. By denying NATO's charges they have indicted NATO. In doing so
they have risked NATO's wrath - and their careers - to tell the truth. Their
decency gives one hope.
(See note 3 for analyses of questionable NATO/US government 'mass graves'
claims)
***
NOTES
Note 1: First hand reports of KLA terror
* For an interview with the leader of the Jewish community in Pristina, Kosovo,
click here: Driven from Kosovo: Jewish Leader Sees NATO Complicity or go to:
http://www.emperors-clothes.com/interviews/ceda.htm
*For an eye-opening report on a recent 2 week trip through Kosovo, click here:
To Kosovo & Back or go to:
http://www.emperors-clothes.com/Articles/zoran/&back.htm
* For an interview with Kosovo Albanians who led opposition to the KLA and have
been forced out of Kosovo by threat of death, click here:Kosovo Albanians - The
Other Side or go to: http://www.emperors-clothes.com/interviews/alban.htm
Note 2: KLA Woman's Story Exposed as Lie
Click here or go to:
* http://www.emperors-clothes.com/news/cbclie.htm
Note 3: Analyses of NATO 'mass grave' and 'atrocity' claims
* Click here for 'Racak - The Impossible Massacre,' by Diana Johnstone or go
to: http://www.emperors-clothes.com/analysis/racak.htm
* Click here for 'Were NATO's mass grave pictures faked?' by Jared Israel or go
to: http://www.emperors-clothes.com/misc/graves.htm
For a detailed look at (and refutation of) NATO's most important massacre story
click here 'Srebrenica: Three years and still waiting,' or go to:
http://www.emperors-clothes.com/Articles/george%20pumphrey/Srebrenica.htm
If you're reading this article in a site other than Emperors-Clothes.com and
would like to see other articles, please click here or go to:
http://www.emperors-clothes.com

>>>End article<<<

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.