-Caveat Lector-

from: AMERICAN ATHEISTS
subject: AANEWS for October 1, 1999

       A M E R I C A N   A T H E I S T S
    #646 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 10/1/99
             http://www.atheists.org
          ftp.atheists.org/pub/atheists/
         http://www.americanatheist.org

      A Service of AMERICAN ATHEISTS
    "Leading The Way For Atheist Civil Rights
     And The Separation Of State and Church"

   In This Issue...
   * Ventura: Smack down for honest opinions?
   * Atheists to picket Promise Keepers tomorrow in Jersey
   * GOP candidates court Christian Coalition
   * American Atheist Magazine poll -- art, public funding and blasphemy
   * Big Apple Atheists
   * Resources
   * About this list...

               VENTURA TAKES FLAK, EXPANDS ON RELIGION REMARKS

It is shaping up to be the fight of Jesse Ventura's political and
career, and a case where honesty might not be the best policy -- for
some.

Minnesota Gov.  Jesse Ventura spent most of yesterday and today in
crisis mode, as aides tried to defuse the growing controversy over the
remarks the colorful Reform Party figure made in an interview with
Playboy Magazine.  Covering a wide range of provocative topics,
Ventura held forth on issues such as drug legalization, prostitution,
and the role of religion in human culture.  He told Playboy that that
in his opinion, organized religion was "a sham and a crutch for the
weak minded.  Other opinions reinforced what Ventura had written in
his biography, "I Ain't Got Time to Bleed," where he acknowledge
smoking marijuana, engaging the services of a prostitute and drinking.

Now, Ventura is starting to pay a price for his forthrightness -- and
it may be high.

The Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights took time out from
its campaign to close a controversial art exhibit in New York to blast
the free thinking governor, saying that he "has now proven himself to
be Jesse 'The Bigot' Ventura."  A League broadside added, "Liberty
shorn of its religious underpinnings is the real sham, as the Founders
and most students of freedom have long understood.  But according to
the erudite Mr. Ventura, they all got it wrong..."

"What Ventura is saying is that organized religion has an intrusive,
and therefore deleterious, effect on American society," continued the
League press release.  "To that end, it is only logical that he might
seek to check its influence.  This bears watching as that is the
position of an anti-religious bigot..."

Others took the colorful wrestler-turned-politician to task as well.
Reform Party Chairman Russell Verney told the Washington Post that he
was "disgusted and outraged" by the Ventura interview.  Only Minnesota
Party Chair Rick McCluhan opined that any judgments should wait until
people have read the alleged quotes in the context of the full
article.  The Playboy interview will arrive at news stands on Monday.

  In related developments:

* Ventura has reportedly written to religious leaders explaining his
remarks on faith.  The Post notes that he cites instances of
"so-called religious leaders zealously marketing their beliefs," by
inducing poor people to give "their last dollar for a baptism."

* According to the Dallas Morning News, Ventura attempted to "clarify"
his remarks on religion, and told Associated Press that "he doesn't
need it but doesn't condemn those who do, including his wife."  The
News gives an expanded version of Ventura's letter to religious
officials.  "I witnessed many instances of so-called religious leaders
zealously marketing their beliefs to people too uneducated to
comprehend what they were talking about and too poor to afford the
money they were being asked to hand over."

The Minneapolis Star Tribune quoted Ventura further: "While organized
religion has not been a major influence in my adult life, I respect
the beliefs and choices of others, including my close family members."
After criticizing religious groups "zealously marketing their
beliefs..."  Ventura added: "Yet there they are, handing over their
last dollar for a baptism that they were promised was essential.  And
there were the religious marketers accepting that last dollar.  I
would think the spirit of religion would put the needs of people and
families first and profit last."

* At a late afternoon press conference on Thursday, Ventura defended
his statements.  "I think all the religious leaders will forgive me
because I think that's what religion's about."  He added, "I haven't
started any wars throughout time.  Has religion?"

Ventura is finding himself in hot water over other issues that he
touched upon in the Playboy interview.  He called for legalization of
drugs, criticized religion for the current status of prostitution as
an illegal activity, and opined that the late President John Kennedy
was likely the victim of conspiracy because he intended to wind down
the war in Vietnam.  "Minnesotan's do not embrace your views on
religion, on women, on prostitution, or drugs or conspiracy,"
Minnesota Senate Majority Leader Roger Moe told a news conference
yesterday in St.  Paul.  Similar sentiments were voiced by GOP State
Chairman Ron Eibensteiner, who suggested that Ventura should resign
since his "attacks show he has a fundamental lack of understanding of
the world he lives in."  Local religious leaders joined in the
criticism as well.

Rev.  David Tiede of the Lutheran Seminary in St.  Paul told the Star
Tribune, "It's very disappointing that the governor has no knowledge
of the thoughtfulness of many religious traditions.  It shows an
ignorance on his part."  Sen.  Dean Johnson, also a Lutheran minister
and chaplain in the Army National Guard added: "In a state where over
70 percent is a member of some organized religion or church, the
governor's remarks have struck at one of our core values.  Therefore,
it's no surprise that some people are angered and disappointed and
others are questioning the context and the true meaning of the
statement (about organized religion)."

                          Dissent in the Reform Party Ranks?

Along with fueling the national debate over the role of religion in
public life, Ventura's remarks could ignite bitter fights within his
own Reform Party.  Columnist Pat Buchanan is seriously weighing a
switch from the Republican Party to the Reform ranks, and may try to
capitalize on Ventura's recent statements.  Buchanan has already
suggested that the GOP has abandoned its core beliefs on important
issues like abortion rights, protectionism and the role of values in
the public square.  Those offended by Ventura's free wheeling -- some
say impudent or ill-timed -- remarks could jump on a Buchanan
candidacy.  Ventura has already made it clear that he does not welcome
Buchanan in the Reform Party tent and instead has encouraged
millionaire Donald Trump to consider a run for the presidential
nomination.  It is worth noting that the Catholic League press release
on the Ventura flap noted: "We would like to hear from Pat Buchanan
and Donald Trump on this subject.  We also want to know if Buchanan
and Trump will denounce Ventura for his bigotry."

The Ventura story is bound to recycle on Monday when Playboy hits the
stands.  In the meantime, it's fair to say that Jesse Ventura has
given the American people what many of them say they want -- another
opinion, and an independent voice.

                                                                 **

ATHEISTS TO PICKET THE PROMISE KEEPERS AT N.J. RALLY

American Atheists and the newly organized Union County Atheists will
picket the Promise Keepers rally tomorrow, Saturday, October 2, 1999
at the Continental Airlines Arena at the Meadowlands in East
Rutherford, N.J.  Joe Zamecki, spokesman for the UCA, says that the
demonstration will be held from 11:00 a.m.  to 2:00 p.m.  Due to
parking, though, anyone participating in the picket should rendezvous
at the American Atheist Center in Cranford at 9:30 a.m.  for a carpool
to the arena.  Appropriate signs and banners will be provided.  Those
interested should contact Mr. Zamecki through [EMAIL PROTECTED], or
visit the UCA web site at http://www.atheists.org/affiliation for more
information.

                                                  **

  POLITICAL HOPEFULS PAY HOMAGE AS ROBERTSON OPENS
     CHRISTIAN COALITION ROAD TO VICTORY CONFAB

What event attracts nearly all of the contenders for the Republican
presidential nomination?  What brings radio maven Dr.  Laura
Schlesinger, leading politicians including Sen.  Orrin Hatch or Rep.
Henry Hyde, and even baseball great Reggie White to Washington, D.C.?

They're all coming to Foggy Bottom to attend Pat Robertson's annual
"Road to Victory" Conference sponsored by the Christian Coalition.
Labeled as down and out of the political arena following a series of
legal setbacks this past year, the Coalition is celebrating its tenth
anniversary.  From the guest list, it is evident that Robertson's
group remains a powerful force within the Republican party and on the
national political scene.  Some 3,500 faithful activists are in
Washington to attend the two day festival which includes workshops on
everything from "effective lobbying" to "Our Godly Heritage," "Media
influence," and even "Y2K Readiness."  Invited or confirmed speakers
include Bill Bright (Campus Crusade for Christ), former House Speaker
Newt Gingrich, antifeminist activist Phyllis Schlafly, and every GOP
nomination contender except Sen.  John McCain (who cited a conflict of
scheduling).  Coalition-watchers are waiting to see if Texas Gov.
George W.  Bush, a close associate of Robertson, graces the crowd with
his presence.

The Washington conference prompted Associated Press writer Sandra
Sobieraj to appropriately headline her afternoon news dispatch,
"Candidates Woo Christian Coalition."  MSNBC followed suit ("Courting
the Christian Coalition"), as did the Atlanta Journal Constitution
("Campaign 2000: Christian Coalition blessings sought.") Washington
Bureau writer Mark Sherman underscored the realpolitik of the
situation, adding "Despite problems, conservative group wields enough
clout to lure GOP presidential candidates to weekend conference."

This weekend's religious right schmooze-fest could be an important
make-or-break development in the campaign of GOP hopeful Steve Forbes,
who finished second in the recent Iowa straw poll behind Bush.  Forbes
has assiduously courted the Christian Coalition and other religious
brethren, declaring that if elected president, his first act would be
signing into a law a ban on so-called partial birth abortions.  He has
staked out a leading position regarding what he terms the "right to be
born," and has reiterated his enthusiastic support for prayer in
public schools and vouchers to aid parents seeking to send their
youngsters to private and sectarian institutions.  As a result, the
Forbes campaign has picked up crucial operatives including Jerry Keen,
former Christian Coalition head for Georgia, and other key activists
from Iowa, South Carolina, New Hampshire, Louisiana and Washington
state.

Both Christian Coalition founder Robertson and the group's first
Director, Ralph Reed -- now a political consultant based in Atlanta --
are known to favor George Bush.  Reed is on the Bush payroll, and
Robertson has assured fellow religious conservatives that the Texas
governor is "profoundly pro-life" and passes other benchmarks in the
faith litmus test.  While agreeing with much of Pat Buchanan's
ideological agenda, Robertson and other Christian Coalition leaders
see the Buchanan campaign as a potential drain on the GOP's chances of
capturing the White House in the year 2000 races.  At a banquet last
night, Robertson told supporters, "The time will come when we have to
choose between two candidates for President of the United States.
Hopefully it's not going to be three."  Robertson added that he was
"filled with Clinton fatigue."

"As we prepare for the new millennium," declared the preacher, "I want
to start with cleansing the highest office of the land from the sleaze
and the equivocation and the moral rot which has embarrassed us all."

Robertson used last night's combination pulpit and podium to also warn
Republicans leaders of "deep ideological problems as they have
wrestled with the fight against the president who they do not care
about very much."

"I speak now to our Republican friends in Congress," Robertson told
his audience.  "We helped you to be elected.  Now we ask for
principled leadership.  We ask for courage.  We ask you to remember it
is better to lose fighting a noble cause then to live in peace as a
coward..."

Almost sheepishly, leading GOP figures then took the podium to explain
their situation.  Senator Majority Leader Trent Lott told the
Coalition that Republicans supported tax cuts, vouchers and a ban on
"partial birth" abortions.  He pleaded for Christian Coalition
support, suggesting that "In the Senate, it's like trying to herd
cats.  They won't herd."

Others speaking last night included Elizabeth Dole, who told the
gathering, "My commitment is to strive to lean on the lord with my
whole heart, reading his word daily and earnestly seeking his will in
my life..."

                         Still a Force For 2000

After ten years, the Christian Coalition has had its share of
successes and failures.  As Dick Polman writes in today's Philadelphia
Inquirer, despite recent setbacks including an IRS decision to deny
the group a tax exemption, "Nobody think that the coalition will crash
and burn."

If anything, Robertson has guided the Coalition into a pragmatic and
close relationship with Republican leadership -- backing Gov.  Bush,
for instance, instead of more ideologically fervent candidates like
Gary Bauer, head of the Washington-based Focus on the Family group.
Rank and file CC members are split among an array of hopefuls
including Bauer, Forbes, and even commentator Alan Keyes -- ideologues
who often speak to the heart of the Coalition agenda.  But Robertson
is more pragmatic; he wants a winner in 2000, and he realizes that
incremental change is the essence of American politics.

The Coalition has also had to embark on a costly and difficult process
of rebuilding itself at the grass roots.  It has strong chapters in
fewer than a dozen states, and membership hovers at around 1.5
million.  Robertson also took control of the leadership of the
Coalition recently, sending the group's former head, Randy Tate, into
the newly created post of senior vice president in charge of the
Coalition's Washington office.  Tate admits that the group has "lost
some momentum," but adds that there are big plans for the year 2000
races.

"We're going to register a million new people into the political
process," he declared.  "We're going to distribute over 70 million
voter guides across the country through churches.  We will be very,
very active."

            Republicans, Democrats Embracing "Faith" Agenda

Equally disturbing is the fact that, as Polman observes, "Both major
parties have moved to the right; they both claim to have 'faith-based
agendas,' and candidates discuss their religious piety in public."  He
adds that "Former coalition operatives, renowned for their organizing
prowess, occupy high posts in a number of presidential campaigns."

In fact, Vice President Gore and GOP front runner Bush have already
declared their intention to forge a "new partnership" between church
and state in order to solve social problems.  Gore's campaign handlers
have pledged to "take god back for the Democratic Party," and end the
GOP's monopoly on public religious piety.  As a result, few candidates
and politicians dare mention the separation of church and state.

For Robertson and his group, the weekend will be the equivalent of a
beef-walk, as candidates vie with each other to gain the Coalition's
support and shore up their credentials as religious conservatives.
The next 24-48 hours could also determine how Steve Forbes will fare
with the Coalition, even with the primary contests months away.  Pat
Robertson can pick and choose, and possibly even offer his followers
an opportunity to select the next president of the United States.

                                                                **

     PUBLIC FUNDING OF THE ARTS, BLASPHEMY AND FREEDOM...
    Tell us what you think in the latest American Atheist Magazine poll.

New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani and the Catholic League for Religious
and Civil Rights are protesting the "Sensations" exhibition at the
Brooklyn Museum of Art.  Among the works is the controversial "Virgin
Mary" painting which shows Mary with African features, and includes
dung and erotic pictures.  The Mayor and the League charge that the
works are "blasphemous," and Giuliani has gone to court to shut down
the exhibit and seize control of the museum.

What do you think about the public funding of the arts?  Does it
justify censorship?  Should art or other forms of expression which
provoke or insult religious, ethnic or other groups be censored?

The latest American Atheist Magazine poll wants to know.  Get
background on this important story, answer our on-line questions, and
leave your comments for others to read.  The poll is now open: point
your browser to http://www.americanatheist.org and let us know your
opinion!

                                                                **

BIG APPLE ATHEISTS ORGANIZING AT OCTOBER 4 MEETING

Ron Barrier, National Spokesman for American Atheists and a co-host of
the popular Atheist Viewpoint television program is organizing the
Metro Atheists of New York.  The first get-together will take place on
Monday, October 4, 1999 at Benvenuti's Restaurant on Staten Island,
N.Y..

The theme is "First Monday in October -- The Supreme Court and Atheist
Activism."  The dinner is to coincide with the beginning of the
Supreme Court session for 1999/2000.  Gather at 8 p.m.  Call
(718)-967-6453, visit the affiliation web site at
http://www.atheists.org/affiliation/newyorkmetro.html, or contact
rbarrier @atheists.org for further information.

                      **RESOURCES FROM AMERICAN ATHEISTS...

* For information about American Atheists, send mail to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please include your name and postal mailing
address.

* For a free catalogue of American Atheist Press books, videos and
other products, send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Kindly include
your postal mailing address.

* The American Atheist Magazine is now on the web!  Check out select
articles from the current or back issues, as well as special web-only
features.  Visit us at http://www.americanatheist.org

* If you are a current member of American Atheists, sign up for our
e-mail discussion group, aachat.  We have over 120 participants who
discuss topics such as Atheism, religion, First Amendment issues and
lots more!  Contact Margie Wait, the Moderator, through
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                               ABOUT THIS LIST...

AANEWS is a free service from American Atheists, a nationwide movement
founded by Madalyn Murray O'Hair for the advancement of Atheism, and
the total, absolute separation of government and religion.

You may forward, post or quote from this dispatch, provided that
appropriate credit is given to AANEWS and American Atheists.  Edited
by Conrad Goeringer, [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Internet Representative for
American Atheists is Margie Wait, [EMAIL PROTECTED]