-Caveat Lector-

...And what about the multi-million-dollar condos on Hilton Head? Shouldn't
we deny *them* flood insurance as well? Do I smell an AGENDA here?? Stay
tuned...
S.C. Lawmaker Wants Farmers Moved from Coast
SUMTER, S.C. (AP) -- A South Carolina state senator wants the federal
government to eliminate disaster aid for farmers who build on flood plains.
"We need to help, but we don't need to help them toward a disastrous event,"
said Sen. Phil Leventis, a Democrat. "And if they build in a flood plain, it
will happen again."
Leventis said he wants to discourage growth in low-lying areas that flood
often.
Flooding in coastal North Carolina from Hurricane Floyd "has created a
public health and environmental crisis," Leventis said in a letter to South
Carolina's congressional delegation this week.
The concentrated animal production facilities and factory hog and poultry
operations in North Carolina have created major health hazards because flood
water has washed away litter piles, waste and animal carcasses.
"Hundreds of millions of gallons of manure have mixed with flood waters,"
Leventis said.
"At least 500,000 hogs and more than 4 million chickens and turkeys have
drowned," he said. "More may be dying of starvation, as their owners cannot
reach their barns to feed them."
Many of the large confined animal feeder operations are far enough from the
coast to avoid a direct hit from a hurricane, but flooding still is a
problem, he said.
"It would be foolish indeed for us to provide federal money to rebuild in
areas that aren't adequate," he said.
Leventis said he does not want to deny flood victims federal and state aid
for repairs, but wants better planning.
"I know they've experienced a disaster, but by the same token, it just
doesn't make good sense to spend relief money on an effort just to go back
in the future and make the same repairs," he said.
In 1996, Leventis worked with the South Carolina Coastal Conservation League
and the Southern Environmental Law Center to create similar legislation in
South Carolina that set boundaries for farmers to protect the state from
costly disasters.
"It is in large part because of this law, areas of our coast are not in the
same tragic situation that communities in the North Carolina coastal plain
find themselves today," he said.
The issue has become more important as the level of flooding has increased
in recent years, he said. More development has made it harder for water to
drain.
Copyright 1999 The Associated Press . All rights reserved. This material may
not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

=======================
Robert F. Tatman
Computer Help Desk
Desktop & LAN Services
Systems Department
Philadelphia Newspapers, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
215.854.2729
215.854.2788
The contents of this message represent the opinion only of the writer, and
may not be construed to indicate the endorsement of Knight-Ridder, Inc.;
Philadelphia Newspapers, Inc.; The Philadelphia Inquirer; or the
Philadelphia Daily News.
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."