Subject: CIA - Selling Intelligence
From: Ralph McGehee <A HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>
Date: Thu, 21 October 1999 09:30 AM EDT

--------------A353272E527F33100A5EE549

                    Selling Intelligence

   Tenet's address at Georgetown's School of Foreign Service showed
why he has become the CIA's super salesman. He talked about the CIA
infiltrating terrorist groups, rescuing pilots and thwarting bombings.
He offered a rationale for spending billions on spies: "In my view, the
intelligence community's calling is to help policymakers identify
opportunities to advance peace and democracy in the world." Tenet
relentlessly talks up the troops--troops whose morale, especially in
operations, had hit rock bottom by July 1997 when he took over. "At
the end of the day, the men and women of U.S. intelligence--not...
high-speed computers--are our most precious asset."
Vernon Loeb Washington Post 10/21/99 A21.

   McGehee commentary: My fondest wish is to believe such talk, but
after a 25-year career in the CIA and nearly that many years conducting
research since retiring -- I have come to a different appreciation of
the Agency and is operations.

   First, Tenet talked exclusively about intelligence while
deflecting any substantive discussion of covert operations --
when operations are the raison d'etre of the CIA. The CIA spends
one percent of its budget for all-source intelligence--indicating
the emphasis in reverse of this aspect.

   Secondly, Tenet decries high-speed computers; e.g. Internet. The
CIA may be the last institution on earth to avail itself of this
invaluable resource (Encyclopedia Britannica is now online). CIA
cannot, of course, freely use such information, as its intelligence
collection and analysis only support its policy, not truths. The
CIA is an hermetically-sealed society that must remain such if
it is to support its policies, unchallenged by facts. I discovered
this when it fought any reality about Vietnam, using both false
intelligence and domestic propaganda.

   Subsequent research proves this is its overall purpose. Give
the policymakers--in and outside the CIA--what they want to hear,
your budgets increase and your fantasies transform reality. If
its unreality results in the destruction of people, democracies
or other unwanted types of government, who cares?

   To ensure that it is not inconvenienced by reality, it recruits
persons with rigid personalities and other anti-intelligence
characteristics.  The poorly qualified recruits go about collecting
desired intelligence from like-minded foreign assets and the
spinning "intelligence cycle" deflects all truths.

   One of the universal criticisms of the CIA's procedures
has been the emphasis on recruitment's of spies resulting in
fraudulent claims, the promotion of those willing to play the
recruitment game; and, bad or contrived intelligence. Yet
Tenet begins each morning's staff meeting by asking, "who
did we recruit and what difference will it make"

   If the CIA is to become an Intelligence Agency it must concentrate
on analysis. You cannot fight terrorism, weapons of mass destruction,
and its other priorities by talking proud while whistling Dixie.

   I realize, of course, that my message will anger or be ignored by
intelligence mavens, but it is my duty as a citizen to make my
observations public.

Ralph McGehee
<A HREF="http://come.to/CIABASE">http://come.to/CIABASE</A>

--------------A353272E527F33100A5EE549--