-Caveat Lector-

On 19 Oct 99, , [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> There is, however, another painting at DIA which never seems to
> make it onto the web. It depicts "Mother Earth - Father Sky",
> which is basically another way of saying Isis and Osiris.

I think this is basically inaccurate, if you are refering to Egyptian cosmology and
mythology. The Egyptians regarded the earth as male and the sky with its stars as
female ( the goddess Nut) . Osiris was a god of the Underworld. The Earth was
represented by a male goose (gander?) named Geb.

In Egyptian mythology, the Moon is male, too. Many of the goddesses were solar
goddesses. Although Ra was the Sun god, Sekhmet was his consort. (This might
indicate that many mythological concepts had male/female counterparts and that life
was not sexually polarized as it is in our present society)  It was she--originally a
powerful, revered goddess of healing, arts, magic, beauty, and you name it, who got a
really bad rep for hurling (at Ra's instructions) the Eye of Ra at the earth, causing
unparalleled death and destruction--an event which might translate into something like
the solar storms and eruptions we are seeing lately.

Curious.

Anyway, Mother Earth and Father Sky has absolutely nothing to do with Egyptian
cosmology or mythology. It seems to have more to do with Christianity and Native
American beliefs.

sno0wl