-Caveat Lector-

Now we come very close to the true nub of the matter... A long time ago, in
the course of a discussion of secrecy and nonviolence, I proposed what I
called the "Sears Roebuck catalog approach to information security": publish
absolutely everything. Send copies of everything to everybody. Sure, the
plans for a neutron bomb might be in there somewhere, but unless you have a
very good index, odds are even the KGB wouldn't find them.

The Internet is, in fact, the safest place to keep information such as this,
provided you don't put up a sign pointing at it and saying, "This is
information but you're not allowed to look at it." The best search programs
(I use WebSeeker, from Blue Squirrel Software, which pulls from up to
thirteen different search engines) are still basically looking for keywords
and <META> tags. Most web designers deliberately put in such markers
specifically to attract search engines. But there is so much stuff on the
Web now that even a top search engine like Alta Vista will find no more than
about eighty percent maximum of relevant sites. So you can see that an awful
lot of information is out there "hidden" in plain view.

This has two important implications. First, since the Oligarchy depends in
information control to maintain its power, that power is in jeopardy because
the Web contains uncontrolled and, by virtue of its "open hiddenness,"
uncontrollable information. Second, and most important, we see here the
penultimate manifestation of Shannon's Law: Information is the negative
reciprocal of probability, I=-(1/p). The implication of this fundamental law
of information theory for us is this: *the more information you have in a
given system, the less certainty.* Strictly speaking, this refers to a state
such as a static-filled TV screen...since each pixel represents a unit of
information, static is maximum information, but it's also minimum certainty
as to what you're seeing. In such a situation, your mind tries to create its
*own* certainty by reading images into something that is really without form
and void.

This is closely analogous to the condition created by the Internet. There is
*so* much information out there (or rather out *here*) that no one can find
it all, let alone control it all. Different agencies, governmental and
private, are trying to control the information chaos, but by the very nature
of the phenomenon they will never be able to do so. The genie is out of the
bottle, and can never be put back in.

[more to come...]

        <snip>