-Caveat Lector-

On 30 Oct 99, at 11:08, earthman wrote:

> NOW.....the site above is where a disciple of robert
> monroe went recently to see the gathering and to see
> what is going on there with it!!
>
> a long article results....the one that the link goes
> to...
> it is all there folks......the whole nine yards...i
> thought ya would like to read this from yet ANOTHER
> explorer!!
> ...be prepared tp be amazed...this robert monroe
> OBE-thing is *NOT* just for to go local obe!!

As Andrew Hennessey said in his post about Ascension, I have
some reservations about this sort of anticipation of what we
commonly regard as "death." I've had some experience (non-drug)
in these realms of OBE and NDE, certainly regard life as a
transitory experience, and yet still feel a great deal of attachment
to the beauty of this planet (which is awesome, if you've stopped to
notice lately)...and do wonder about the passivity this sort of
experience--as described in The Gathering--might engender. I
suppose it's all to the good if it helps folks handle fear...but on the
other hand....

It occurs to me that one of the good things about the 60s-early 70s
when so many people were experimenting with tripping was that
people had to learn to accept the individuality of each person's
visions...material that emanated from the individual unconscious.
That acceptance generated a great deal of trust and tolerance--at
least in certain small groups of people.  The writer of The Gathering
suggests that what he experienced is a collective vision...and that
worries me. It reminds me a little too much of Bo and Peep. (The
San Diego suicides).

In Buddhist circles, if you have an experience like this, one of the
first things your teacher will tell you is to forget it. Fantastic
visionary experiences are not considered conducive to real spiritual
growth. Maybe this guy will have more to tell us when he learns to
make that Castenadian leap.

Just my 2 cents worth.