-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a prelude to war!

 **********                   VOICE OF THE GRUNT
 **********
 **********                 03 November 1999
 **********

 TABLE OF CONTENTS                      ARTICLES
    Hack's Column
    Lap Dogs or Tigers                          1
    Mac Notes                               2
 From The Field:
    Hope For The Future                         3
    Why Are Marines Different                       4
    Another Example of Veterans Getting The Shaft           5
    A "Hackworthing" Story                      6
 Medal of Honor:                                7
    Barnum, Harvey C., Capt., USMC
    Co. H, 2d Battalion, 9th Marines, 3d Marine Division (Rein).
    Ky Phu in Quang Tin Province, RVN, 18 December 1965.
 Commentary:
    Public Tragedy Renews Bonds of The Blue Angels          8
 ARTICLE 1
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 "LAP DOGS OR TIGERS?"
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 By David H. Hackworth, 02 November 1999

    Everyone on Sen. John Warner's (R-Va.) Armed Services Committee is worked
 up because British Lt. Gen. Mike Jackson didn't blindly follow the orders
 of NATO commander U.S. Gen. Wesley Clark.

    Last June, Clark ordered Jackson, then the NATO commander in Kosovo, to
 push the Russian troops out of Kosovo's main airport. Jackson told Clark,
 "No, I am not going to do that. It is not worth starting World War III."

    Remember, Russia still has thousands of nuclear-tipped ICBMs pointed at
 us, and it would make many a hard-liner's day if the launch order was
 given. Jackson -- who's since been promoted to full general, presumably, in
 part, for the wisdom of this decision -- wisely concluded that the gain of
 winning King of the Mountain against the Ruskies wasn't worth the possible
 pain.

    Sure, discipline is essential in the military. But soldiers should not be
 robots and blindly follow dumb or illegal orders.

 Back in 1817, Napoleon said, "Insubordination may only be evidence of a
 strong mind."

    Of course, look who's talking. Insubordination came naturally to me from
 buck private to full colonel. I found it easy to find ways around obeying
 or passing on orders that would cause my guys unnecessary hassle or blood.
 Or orders that were just flat stupid, like Gen. Westmoreland's early
 Vietnam War, guaranteed-to-get-troopers-killed rule of engagement order:
 "Don't fire at the enemy until he fires first."

    Maybe I was born with rebellion in my genes. Family legend has it that in
 the 1770s, my Revolutionary War ancestor John Hackworth told his CO,
 "Captain, ya'r attackin' the wrong hill. Ain't goin' with ya'. But follow
 me, I'll take ya' up the right 'un."

    In Korea or Vietnam, if I got an order that was stupid -- like sending my
 soldiers into minefields to count enemy dead -- I'd "Wilco" (will comply)
 that order -- in this case from Col. Ira Hunt, my superambitious fruit-case
 boss at the time -- then tell my troops to ignore same. My loyalty was to
 my troops and their tender bodies, not some Perfumed Prince's career. And I
 know a lot of limbs and lives were saved that way.

    British Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson won one of the most decisive naval
victories of
 the 19th century after "not seeing" his commander's signal to "discontinue
(the) engagement" during the Battle of Copenhagen in 1801. He explained
later, "I have only one eye; I have a right to be blind sometimes."

    In 1914 at Tannenberg, German corps commander Gen. Hermann von Francois
 repeatedly disobeyed orders. He ended up bagging 90,000 prisoners,
 destroying a complete Russian army and winning a major victory.

    During the Korean War, my patrol captured a squad of Chinese soldiers. By
 the time we got back to our front lines, it was dark. It was a nine-hour
 hike to the battalion C.P., and since some of the POWs were wounded, it
 would have taken more than half of the men in my rifle platoon to get them
 back for interrogation. Because my CO needed my soldiers to defend the
 front, he ordered me to shoot them. I told him to get stuffed.

    If Lt. William Calley's soldiers had refused to follow his insane order --
 which killed between 300 and 400 unarmed Vietnamese women and children at
 the village of My Lai -- one of our country's most shameful acts wouldn't
 have happened. And perhaps the Jane Fonda gang's term "baby killers"
 wouldn't have become part of the cruel legacy of the Vietnam War.

    During my first four years in the Army, I had total obedience hammered
 into me. But 20 years later, I'd learned that the best way to run an outfit
 was to drop the Prussian "Yes, Sir; No, Sir" nonsense. At the end, I
 encouraged my soldiers to challenge my orders and sound off. It worked.
 Many a time a youngster came up with a far smarter idea than mine, which
 made the operation better and saved lives.

    Maybe Warner and committee, besides trying to eliminate all the waste and
 redundancy in the services, should find out if our all-volunteer armed
 forces' leaders are lap dogs or attack dogs with the chutzpa to stand up
 and be counted.

 If I were in Warner's boots, that would be my priority.
 ARTICLE 2
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 ******MAC NOTES******
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 By Robert L. McMahon, 02 November 1999

    Thank you to everyone that wrote in regarding my comments last week on the
 "Airfare" issue and the Kosovo refugees. I agree that perhaps the scenario
 is not as bad as I first imagined, but I still think it's odd for the U.S.
 State Department to make a request for payment from war refugees.

    I would also like to reiterate my previous request that you please stop
 passing the Jane Fonda P.O.W. story around. It is false and a near total
 fabrication. Ms. Fonda did visit North Vietnam and allow herself to be used
 for propaganda purposes back in 1971. However, she was never spit upon by
 any P.O.W, was never "slipped pieces of paper" by P.O.W.'s, and her actions
 never caused the death of any of our captive servicemen. None of us like
 what she did, but please do not help create a false mythology about her
 actions.

    Hack is back in the CP now and working on getting some R&R. Thank you to
 all of you who wrote me during his book-tour and dropped by to see him at
 certain of his signing engagements. I understand that certain stores were
 sold out within an hour of the doors opening. I have my wife reading his
 book now and she is completely taken with the story. She never thought a
 "military" book would be her speed, but she's really enjoying it.

    Have to keep this short because I'm heading out to St. Louis today on
 business. I may be out there pretty regular the next few weeks, so please
 keep the traffic light.

 Have a good week. Don't bunch up.

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 http://www.freeyellow.com:8080/members7/rlmcmahon/
 ARTICLE 3
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 HOPE FOR THE FUTURE
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 SUMMARY: An optimistic piece from a new LTC. This piece was edited by our
 Colonel Bruce Clarke, a West Point Classmate of General Shinseki.
 By Lt. Col. Steven A. Beckman, USA

 My Dad (a vet of WWII, Korea and Viet Nam) has been a fan of yours for some
 time. Last year, while I was in Bosnia, he would mail me copies of your
 column. I still remember your column "Sending the 1st Cav to Bosnia is
 Dumb" (my paraphrase).

 While running the 1st Cav's Intel Center in Bosnia, I got to see the
 corporate, take no risks military close up. I got to see the hole our over
 reliance on technology has put our Army into...especially when the threat
 is low-tech and very human. I also got to see beltway fed PP fools. That
 having been said, the majority of the 100 soldiers who worked for me were
 simply magnificent. They did literal back flips to answer the near
 impossible, usually ill conceived and often contradictory intelligence
 tasks we received.

 Often the answers we provided were not what the chain of command wanted to
 hear. My soldiers almost got used to the generals in the chain of command
 telling us that our analysis was off base. In fact, they took quiet
 pleasure in letting time prove them right. I was humbled by the fact that
 they didn't need any belated praise from the upper echelons...a simple,
 "Hooah, that's good stuff" from me was all they cared about. It's with
 these soldiers (and a battalion Commander who shared with me the sabot
 rounds fired by those more senior) in mind that I recount the following:

 Tomorrow, 29 Oct, I will pin on silver LTC oak leaves. It's going to Take
 place in Fredricksburg, TX at the Admiral Nimitz Museum. My Dad and wife
 will pin on the new leaves and an old salt, retired RADM Grojean (an old
 WWII submariner) will officiate. I'm doing it there because it is a special
 place. The place is visited often by the men who fought a tough war, in
 nasty places against a determined enemy. These old GI's, Marines and
 Sailors still have a sparkle in their eyes. One can only be humbled to be
 amongst that kind of company. I think being humbled is a good way to start
 off as a no time in grade LTC.

 I found a picture, while digging through an old scrapbook, of then COL, now
 GEN Shinseki, with a soldier putting a pie in his face. Back in '88 the XO
 of 2d BDE 3ID gave me the vital task of designing a program to raise money
 to purchase brigade coins. Being Cheekier than I am now, I proposed a
 raffle within the BDE with the winners getting the opportunity to put a pie
 in the face of their BN and BDE Commanders. The BDE XO thought I had lost
 my mind, but COL Shinseki was game.

 When the day came, he dutifully stood there and let the winning PFC do the
 deed. He didn't lose any military decorum, in fact I've never seen an
 officer more respected by his troops (the grunts and tankers). I remember
 him telling the division commander, after what appeared to be a
 particularly dumb, short fused tasking came down, "Well Sir, if you want it
 bad, that's just how you are going to get it."

 He took the sabot rounds and shielded the troops from the wrath of those
 above him. He could also be pretty humble. I only once heard him raise his
 voice (behind closed doors to a deserving Company Commander). I know there
 is a real soldier at the helm of the Army, and hopefully, we can reverse
 some of the rot I've seen since 91.

 It's easy to fall into the corporate, ticket punch Army. I won't speak for
 myself, but for every PP that has screwed the soldiers, I'm also seeing
 real soldier loving officers pin on new brass and command battalions. I
 wish the ratio wasn't so close to 50-50, but they are out there...some of
 them even wear stars.

 So between the old vets and my knowledge of our Chief of Staff, I'll be
 pinning on silver oak leaves with a little bit of hope for the future of
 our Army.

 Please remind the guys in the ranks occasionally, that there are officers
 at all levels whose number one thought in the morning and at night is the
 training and welfare of their soldiers.

 Thank you for your service and the columns.

 Hell on Wheels, Rock of the Marne, and First Team!
 ARTICLE 4
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 WHY ARE MARINES DIFFERENT?
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 SUMMARY: An Army officer sums up what makes Marines different.
 By Col. Daniel F. Bolger, USA
 (Excerpt from DEATH GROUND: TODAY'S AMERICAN INFANTRY IN BATTLE

 "What makes Marine infantry special? Asking the question that way misses
 the most fundamental point about the United States Marine Corps. In the
 Marines, everyone--sergeant, mechanic, cannoneer, supply man, clerk,
 aviator, cook--is a rifleman first. The entire corps, all 170,000 or so on
 the active rolls, plus the reserves, are all infantry. All speak the
 language of the rifle and bayonet, of muddy boots and long, hot marches.
 It's never us and them, only us. That is the secret of the Corps."

 "If Army infantry amounts to a stern monastic order standing apart, on the
 edge of the wider secular soldier world, Marine infantry more resembles the
 central totem worshiped by the entire tribe. Marines have specialized, as
 have all modern military organizations. And despite the all-too-real rigors
 of boot camp, annual rifle qualification, and high physical standards, a
 Marine aircraft crew chief or radio repairman wouldn't make a good 0311 on
 a squad assault. But those Marine technical types know that they serve the
 humble grunt, the man who will look the enemy in the eye within close to
 belly-ripping range. Moreover, all Marines think of themselves as grunts at
 heart, just a bit out of practice at the moment. That connections creates a
 great strength throughout the Corps."

 "It explains why Marine commanders routinely, even casually, combine widely
 disparate kinds of capabilities into small units.... Marines send junior
 officers and NCOs out from their line rifle companies and expect results.
 They get them, too."

 "Even a single Marine has on call the firepower of the air wing, the Navy,
 and all of the United States. Or at least he thinks he does. A Marine acts
 accordingly. He is expected to take charge, to improvise, to adapt, to
 overcome. A Marine gets by with ancient aircraft (the ratty C-46E Frog, for
 example), hand-me-down weapons (such as the old M-60 tanks used in the Gulf
 War), and whatever else he can bum off the Army or cajole out of the Navy.
 Marines get the job done regardless, because they are Marines. They make a
 virtue out of necessity. The men, not the gear, make the difference. Now
 and again, the Marines want to send men, not bullets."

 "This leads to a self-assurance that sometimes comes across as disregard
 for detailed staff-college quality planning and short shrift for high-level
 supervision. Senior Army officers in particular sometimes find the Marines
 amateurish, cavalier, and overly trusting in just wading in and letting the
 junior leaders sort it out. In the extreme, a few soldiers have looked at
 the Corps as some weird, inferior, ersatz ground war establishment, a bad
 knockoff of the real thing. 'A small, bitched-up army talking Navy lingo,'
 opined Army Brigadier General Frank Armstrong in one of the most brutal
 interservice assessments. That was going too far. But deep down, many Army
 professionals tended to wonder about the Marines. Grab a defended beach?
 Definitely. Seize a hill? Sure, if you don't mind paying a little. But take
 charge of a really big land operation? Not if we can help it."

 "Anyone who has watched an amphibious landing unfold would be careful with
 that kind of thinking. The Marines actually have a lot in common with their
 elite Army infantry brothers, if not with all the various Army headquarters
 and service echelons. True, Marine orders do tend to be, well...brief. But
 so do those of the airborne, the air assault, the light-fighters, and the
 Rangers, for the same good reason: Hard, realistic training teaches
 soldiers how to fight by doing, over and over, so they need not keep
 writing about it, regurgitating basics every time. More enlightened
 soldiers consider that goodness. A three-inch thick order, a big CP, and
 lots of meetings do not victory make. The Marines consciously reject all
 that. And why not? Despite the occasional Tarawa or Beirut, it works."

 "A Corps infused with a rifleman ethos has few barriers to intra-service
 cooperation. The Army talks a great deal about combined arms and does it
 down to about battalion level, often with great wailing and gnashing of
 teeth. Marines do it all the way down to the individual Marine. Soldiers
 have defined military occupational specialties and guard their prerogatives
 like union shop stewards. Finance clerks don't do machine guns. Mechanics
 skip foot marches to fix trucks. Intell analysts work in air-conditioned
 trailers; they don't patrol. Marines, though, are just Marines. They all
 consider themselves trigger pullers. They even like it, as might be
 expected of an elite body."
 ARTICLE 5
 ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF VETERANS GETTING THE SHAFT
 SUMMARY: Someone over at the VA better start reading up on the generation
 that saved the world from Fascism. Apparently they have not heard who the
 greatest generation was.
 By T. Matison

 Nearly a year has past now since I stood in a covered enclave, with the
 rain and wind blowing about me, as the final words were spoken at my Dads
 funeral. It was a gut wrenching experience as the Naval Honor Guard fired
 their salute and the distant sounds of Taps was heard, played at another
 ceremony nearby (Mom didn't want it played at Dads), but the timing
 couldn't have been better. Placed next to the 'cigar box' which contained
 his ashes was a photo of Dad in his uniform, in black and white, with his
 hat cocked back on his head which was how they wore them in the 40s and
 50s. No name tag, no medals, just a cocky and proud CEM who didn't wear his
 ego on his chest. Dad was 81 when he died. A cancer took him, a cancer that
 I believe came as a result of his participation in the nuclear tests after
 W.W.II, but of course, the government denies this.

 Dad had prostate cancer, a cancer that the VA states is not figured into
 the covered illnesses. He also however had skin cancer removed from his
 groin, and later cancer throughout his back; hot spots in his neck,
 shoulders and spine. Though in pain, he complained little. His greatest
 pain was not the illness, but from what he felt was the betrayal of the
 service he gave so much for.

 Dad was on the USS Salt Lake City, CA 25 throughout the war. In the end,
 the ship was selected for the nuclear tests at Bikini in 1946 (Operation
 Crossroads). Dad was there (Onsite Participant). After the detonation
 tests, he and a crew went back aboard ship and stayed, taking readings and
 attempting to "scrub down" the ship. His mission was to start the
 generators for power. He was first to arrive and the last to leave. He
 sometimes wore film badges to determine radiation levels. After "Able and
 Baker" detonations, it was determined that it was "too hot" to stay on
 board so they left. The ship was later towed to California and was sunk
 during target practice.

 He often talked about his 20 years in the Navy, including being on board
 the ship after the nuclear tests. It wasn't till many years later that he
 requested a copy of his service records after being treated for skin
 cancer. What he found, to his astonishment, was that his participation in
 the tests were no where to be found. In place during this time period was a
 notation signed by the Executive Officer that he attended a "fire fighting
 school" in Hawaii. He was then faced with, 'If it wasn't in the record, it
 didn't happen.'

 This started a crusade to correct the omission, subsequently learning about
 and joining the Atomic Veterans Association. Through this organization he
 met other veterans that were exposed to radiation and were denied
 assistance. The DoD line being it could not be proven their health problems
 were the result of their radiation exposure. Through his association with
 the NAAV (National Association of Atomic Veterans) he did finally receive
 recognition that he had been there. Research done by the Nuclear section of
 the Naval Department and the Defense Nuclear Agency confirmed this. They
 had skimpy records at best regarding total REMs exposed to the sailors, but
 it was something. He filed a claim concerning skin cancer and waited while
 the wheels of government turned.

 As the years went by his health deteriorated. Severe arthritis in his neck,
 shoulders, knees and hands (which cropped up in 1957 when he retired) were
 his daily companions. His ability to receive the medical care which was
 promised to him back in 1937 was reduced, forcing him to pay more and more
 to receive civilian care. He was then treated for prostate cancer. Claims
 were submitted to the VA and other government organizations but always
 returned with delays, 'that your claim is currently being researched.' You
 see, if you wait long enough it won't matter, as they will all be dead.
 That is what happened to my Dad.

 My brothers and I are grateful to the Navy that we were able to receive the
 benefits when we were young. But the benefits that were promised to my Dad
 evaporated and he became a non-priority in his later years. He was denied
 the proper care he was entitled to and victimized by the denial/omission of
 his official involvement in the Bikini tests. According to his official
 Navy records, he was never involved in any of these tests.

 Those who wrote the entries of the service records are no doubt dead,
 following the guidance of their superiors, under the guise of national
 security I assume. I don't blame them for the testing that was done. Their
 knowledge of radiation was limited at the time and they had no way of
 knowing the long term effects of exposure. But to ignore the health
 complaints of veterans who willingly did their duty and to hide behind
 dated research or biased medical opinions is wrong. It's financial, as I
 assume it will open up Pandora's Box and all sorts of claims would be made
 if the standards were relaxed. I find it interesting that the cancers
 allowed by the VA is in inverse proportion to the amount of specific
 cancers found by the NAAV in their limited Morbidity Study. Veterans are
 dying at a record rate now and very soon now it really won't matter,
 because if you wait long enough...
 ~~> more articles in Section B~~>

**COPYRIGHT NOTICE** In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107,