 Rejects 'fair use' argument
 for copying articles

 By Jon E. Dougherty
 Thursday, November 11, 1999
 © 1999 WorldNetDaily.com

 A federal judge has ruled against the operator of a popular
 online conservative discussion forum, rejecting the owner's
 claim that reposting entire news stories constituted a
 "fair use" of copyrighted material.

 Judge Margaret Morrow of the U.S. District Court in Los
 Angeles rejected FreeRepublic.com's request to dismiss the
 case, and said owner Jim Robinson was not protected under
 "fair use" provisions of existing copyright law when he
 copied and posted entire newspaper articles on his site.
 The court sided with both plaintiffs -- the Los Angeles
 Times and the Washington Post -- by writing in her 28-page
 ruling on Monday that Robinson was "not entitled to assert
 a fair use defense to the claims of copyright infringement
 alleged in the complaint."

 Both newspapers claimed that Robinson -- who posted or
 allowed the posting of articles for the purpose of
 soliciting comments from site members -- was damaging their
 websites, and that by posting entire articles both
 newspapers were losing online advertising revenue. They
 also said consumers were less likely to pay their standard
 $1.50 fee to access archived stories if the FreeRepublic
 was reproducing them for free.

 Robinson told WorldNetDaily he believes Morrow's decision
 is wrong and pledged to fight the ruling.

 "She ignored any testimony or evidence we put forward and
 sided with the barest of assertions made by the
 plaintiffs," Robinson said, adding that the only factor out
 of four he presented that the court agreed with was his use
 of non-fiction material. "It's harder to get a 'fair use'
 ruling on fictional materials."

 Robinson also said the judge ignored the fact that his
 website "only uses a small portion" of each newspaper every
 day, and said that by law users of copyrighted material are
 permitted to do that. "We use individual articles; however,
 they copyright the entire paper," he said.

 One source, who requested anonymity, said his
 interpretation of copyright law "limited users to either a
 certain number of words or no more than a certain portion
 of a news story" when reprinting copyrighted information,
 rather than the entire article.

 Another aspect of the decision that Robinson disagreed with
 was the court's characterization of FreeRepublic as a
 commercial website. He told WorldNetDaily that Judge Morrow
 said because he received donations through his site, "that
 makes me a commercial enterprise, but that's completely
 false."

 In disputing Morrow's claim, Robinson said he has recently
 filed for non-profit status but that the paperwork has not
 yet been approved. "We have never operated the FreeRepublic
 as a commercial venture -- not at any time," he said. "She
 just ignored that. She said in the courtroom that the only
 reason for our existence was to raise donations."

 Binyamin L. Jolkovsky, editor of another Internet news and
 commentary site, the Jewish World Review, sees merit in
 both sides of the case, but said he was more concerned
 about the loss of impact FreeRepublic could have as a
 "valuable and informative site" if Robinson loses his case.

 "For small sites like ours, it's somewhat damaging when
 somebody copies entire articles and reposts them
 elsewhere," he said, "especially when you're a site that is
 paying for content."

 On the other hand, he said, "they have been very kind to
 me. We've had a lot of their readers come to JWR."

 "I don't want to see FreeRepublic weakened because I think
 it's an absolutely amazing site," he said. "As something is
 breaking live, on television for example, site members (at
 the FreeRepublic) will immediately post a synopsis of the
 event, and that's just incredibly useful."  Jolkovsky said
 the plaintiffs couldn't completely stop Robinson or his
 members from posting allowable amounts of copyrighted
 information.

 He also believes that if the newspapers decide to seek
 monetary damages from Robinson, who is reportedly in bad
 health, "I think it would be the epitome of corporate
 America picking the wrong battle."

 Robinson said he views the court's decision as "the same
 liberal encroachment that is going on throughout." He sees
 his defeat as "just a step" to limit future use of
 copyrighted materials on the Internet. He said neither
 plaintiff has said it will pursue monetary remuneration
 from FreeRepublic, "but they may just be saving that for
 the end."

 A trial has been set for June of next year, but in the
 meantime, Robinson and his attorney, Brian L. Buckley, plan
 to file motions to dismiss the case or motions for
 reconsideration.

 "The judge got it wrong," said Buckley, adding that unless
 Monday's ruling is reversed, "it will have a tremendous
 chilling effect and will impinge free discussion."

 "We haven't decided yet what we're going to do, but we're
 going to do something," he said.

 Jon E. Dougherty is a staff writer for WorldNetDaily.

  © 1999 WorldNetDaily.com, Inc.