-Caveat Lector-

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/eo/19991115/en/19991115003.html

Twenty years later, Roman Polanski admits he did it.

 Back in 1978, the acclaimed director of Chinatown and Rosemary's Baby
fled the country amid allegations
 he raped a 13-year-old girl. He hasn't stepped foot in America since.
Now, the French-born director, who
 once said, "When you are 12, you no longer need the parents," is
finally accepting blame for the crime.

 "There was no plot against me. There was no setup. It was all my
fault. I think my wrongdoing was much
 greater than Bill Clinton's," the 66-year-old says in the December
issue of Esquire magazine.

 "There's a different justice for people who are public figures and
those who are not," he adds.

 Indeed.

 Polanski, then 42, took 13-year-old Samantha Geimer to Jack
Nicholson's house (he was out of town),
 loaded her up with Quaaludes and champagne and then had sex with her.
He pleaded guilty to one count
 of unlawful sexaual intercourse with a minor, but fled to Europe to
avoid a prison sentence of up to 50
 years.

 In his autobiography, the filmmaker said the judge who heard the case
reneged on a deal that would have
 had Polanski behind bars for just 90 days, and, faced with the
prospect of years in the slammer, he
 decided to take off.

 As recently as two years ago, lawyers represented Polanksi were
negotiating for the director's return to the
 States--with him serving no jail time--but nothing came of those
talks.

 About the same time, Geimer came forward to say she wouldn't mind if
Polanski came back to the U.S.

 "I really wish this would be over, that he would reach agreement with
courts, no longer be a fugitive," she
 said.