-Caveat Lector-

U.S. Congressional Thanksgiving Proclamations

I777

By THE CONTINENTAL CONGRESS-A PROCLAMATION

Forasmuch as it is the indispensable duty of all men to adore the
superintending providence of Almighty God; to acknowledge with tbeir
gratitude their obligation to him for benefits received, and to
implore such farther blessings as they stand in need of; and it having
pleased him in his abundant mercy not only to continue to us the
innumerable bounties of his common providence but also smile upon us
in the prosecution of a just and necessary war, for the defence and
establishment of our unalianable rights and liberties; particularly in
that he hath been pleased in so great a measure to prosper the means
used for the support of our troops and to crown our arms with most
signal success: It is therefore recommended to the legislative or
executive powers of these United States, to set apart Thursday, the
18th day of December next, for solemn thanksgiving and praise;

'' that with one heart and one voice the good people may express the
grateful feelings of their hearts, and consecrate themselves to the
service of their divine benefactor"; and that together with their
sincere acknowledgments and offerings, they may join the penitent
confession of their mamfold sins, whereby they had forfeited every
favor, and their humble and earnest supplication that it may please
God, through the merits of Jesus Christ, mercifully to forgive and
blot them out of remembrance; that it may please him graciously to
afford his blessings on the governments of these states respectively,
and prosper the public council of the whole; to inspire our commanders
both by land and sea, and all under them, with that wisdom and
fortitude which may render them fit instruments, under the providence
of Almighty God, to secure for these United States the greatest of all
blessings, independence and peace; that it may please him to prosper
the trade and manufactures of the people and the labor of the
husbandman, that our land may yield its increase; to take school and
seminaries of education, so necessary for cultivating the principles
of true liberty, virtue and piety, under his nurturing hand, and to
prosper the means of religion for the promotion and enlargement of
that kingdom which consisteth in righteousness, peace and joy in the
Holy Ghost. And it is further recommended, that servile labor, and
such recreation as, though at other times, innocent, may be unbecoming
the purpose of this appointment, be omitted on so solemn an occasion.

Friday, October 3lst. I777. RESOLVED, That a committee of three be
appointed to prepare a recommendation to the several states, to set
apart a day for thanksgiving, for the signal success, lately obtained
over the enemies of these United States: The members chosen,

Mr. S. Adams, Mr. R. H. Lee, and Mr. Roberdeau.

Saturday, November 1st, 1777. The comittee appointed to prepare a
recommendation to the several states; to set apart a day of public
thanksgiving, brought in a report; which was taken into considera ion,
and agreed to.

Friday, November 7th.1777 . Congress ORDERED, That a duplicate of the
recommendation to t he several states to set apart a day of
thanksgiving, signed by the president, be sent to the several states,
and to General Washington and General Gates.

1778

BY THE CONTINENTAL CONGRESS-A PROCLAMATION

It having pleased Almighty God, through the course of the present
year, to bestow many great and manifold mercies on the people of these
United States; and it being the indispensable duty of all men
gratefully to acknowledge their obligations to him for benefits
received:

RESOLVED, That it be, and hereby is recommended to the legis- lative
or executive authority of each of the said states, to appoint
Wednesday, the 3oth of December next, to be observed as a day of
public thanksgiving and praise, that all people may, with united
hearts, on that day, express a just sense of his unmerited favors;

1779

BY THE CONTINENTAL CONGRESS-A PROCLAMATION

Whereas it becomes us humbly to approach the throne of Almighty God,
with gratitude and praise for the wonders which his goodness has
wrought in conducting our fore-fathers to this western world; for his
protection to them and to their posterity amidst difficulties and
dangers; for raising us, their children, from deep distress to be
numbered among the nations of the earth; and for arming the hands of
just and mighty princes in our deliverance; and especially for that he
hath been pleased to grant us the enjoyments of health, and so to
order the revolving seasons, that the earth hath produced her increase
in abundance, blessing the labors of the husbandmen, and spreading
plenty through the land; that he hath prospered our arms and those of
our ally ; been a shield to our troops in the hour of danger, pointed
their swords to victory and led them in triumph over the bulwarks of
the foe; that he hath gone with those who went out into the wilderness
against the savage tribes;...

1780

BY THE CONTINENTAL CONGRESS-A PROCLAMATION

Whereas it hath pleased Almighty God, the Father of all mercies amidst
the vicissitudes and calamlties of war, to bestow blessings on the
people of these states, which call for their devout and thanksful
acknowledgments, more especially in the late remarkable interposition
of his watchful providence, in rescuing the person of our commander in
chief and the army from imminent dangers, at the moment when treason
was ripened for execution; in prospering the labors of the husbandmen,
and causing the earth to yeld its increase in plentiful harvests; and,
above all, in continuing to us the enjoyment of the gospel of peace.
It is therefore recommended to the several states to set a part
Thursday, the 7th day of December next, to be observed as a day of
public thanksgiving and prayer; that all the people may assemble on
that day to celebrate the praises of our Divine Benefactor; to confess
our unworthiness of the least of his favors, and to offer our fervent
' supplications to the God of all grace; that it may please him to
pardon our heinous transgressions and incline our hearts for the
future to keep all his laws; to comfort and relieve our brethren who
are any wise afliicted or distressed; to smile upon our husbandry and
trade; to direct our public councils, and lead our forces, by land and
sea, to victory; to take our illustrious ally under his special
protection, and favor our joint councils and exertions for the
establishment of speedy ' and permanent peace; to cherish all schools
and seminaries of education, and to cause the knowledge of
Christianity to spread over all the earth. Done in Congress, this I8th
day of October, I780, and in the fifth year of the independence of the
United States of America. Wednesday, October I8th. I780. Congress took
into consideration the resolution reported for setting apart a day of
thanksgiving: and prayer, and agreed to.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]     The Patriot Resource Center:
                                  http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/6627/