-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a prelude to war!

992148.  Travis KC-10 refuels Raptor for first time

by 1Lt Tom Crosson
60 Air Mobility Wing Public Affairs

TRAVIS AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. (AFPN) -- Four KC-10 crewmembers here had a
chance Nov. 17 to help advance the Air Force's capability to achieve
complete air dominance.  They were part of test that marked the first time
in the F-22 program that aerial refueling was accomplished with a KC-10.

Instructor pilot Capt. Jeff McCleery and flight engineer TSgt. Tom "Sammy"
Hager from the 6th Air Refueling Squadron along with co-pilot Capt. Scott
Roe and boom operator SSgt. Roman Munoz from the 9th ARS teamed up with
members of the 452nd Flight Test Squadron at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.,
to help determine if there were compatibility issues between the Air Force's
new F-22 "Raptor" and a KC-10 refueler.

The F-22 has been deemed America's next-generation air superiority fighter.
Air Force officials indicate that once the F-22s are available to deploy
with U.S. joint task forces, America will have the dominant military
advantage over potential adversaries necessary to protect our national
interests with minimal risks.

One unique factor of this mission was the number of different organizations
involved.  The Travis crew teamed up with the 452nd TFS, the F-22 Combined
Test Force and engineers from Lockheed Martin Corp. to complete the test.

Captains Todd Markwald and Greg Slover, test pilots with the 452nd FTS, flew
with the Travis crew during the initial tests because they are trained in
how to deal with emergency situations regarding the F-22.  As the tests
progressed, the Travis crew became more involved so engineers could
concentrate on how well the F-22 handled the tests.

"Our goal for this test is to identify the F-22s 'envelopes', the minimum
and maximum allowable air speeds, altitude, and boom movements that both
aircraft will allow," Markwald said.  "It is important to make sure that the
F-22 is compatible with the KC-10.  If we take it to war, the KC-10 will get
it there."

During the five-day test period, the crew flew four sorties.  Each sortie
lasted approximately three hours.  Throughout the flights, both the KC-10
crew and F-22 crew followed scenarios published on test cards.  The test
cards outlined step by step what was going to be practiced.  All total, the
KC-10 made more than 250 boom connections, or "contacts" with the F-22,
off-loading 35,000 pounds of fuel.

One important factor monitored was how well the F-22 was able to connect to
the KC-10's boom.  SSgt. Dave Francey, an experimental flight-test boom
operator with the 452nd FTS, operated the boom during the initial tests.
Francey, one of two test boom operators qualified in both the KC-10 and
KC-135, was selected for this role because of his experience with recent
KC-135 refueling tests with the F-22.

While the two aircraft were connected, data was transferred from the boom to
a panel in the rear of the KC-10, monitored by two flight test engineers.
According to 1st Lt. Jay Bernheisel, a flight test engineer from the 452nd
FTS, they were able to monitor the amount of stress on the boom while the
aircraft attempted contacts at different positions and altitudes.

"The test boom operators are the single point of contact for the F-22 CTF
for this technical information," Francey said.

The highlight of the mission for the Travis crew came when Munoz had a
chance to become the first boom operator in Air Mobility Command to aerial
refuel an F-22.  He made four contacts with the F-22, most of which were
done at an altitude of 3,000 feet at speeds of nearly 350 knots.  He said
that the experience was exciting, but admitted that the task was almost
"business as usual."

"It was an honor to be the first in AMC to refuel the F-22," Munoz said.
"It will be gratifying to know that someday my inputs helped write the T.O.
(technical order) for refueling the F-22s."

Although the test flights seemed to be successful, it will take engineers
some time to go through all the data that was compiled to determine how
successful they were.  "We forward all test data to the CTF and the
contractors." Bernheisel said.  "They will then determine if any
modifications need to be made to make the F-22 more compatible."

There are currently two F-22s being tested at Edwards AFB.  Since they first
arrived in February 1998, they have undergone a series of tests from
structural ground tests to validating various flying qualities.

992148a,b,c.  Travis KC-10 refuels Raptor for first time - image cutlines

992148a.jpg and 992148a.gif
An F-22 Raptor connects with a KC-10 Extender during tests to determine
compatibility between the two planes.  The refueler crew, from Travis Air
Force Base, Calif., assisted evaluators from the 452 Flight Test Squadron,
Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., in conducting these tests which marked the
first time the Raptor was refueled by the KC-10.   During four test flights,
more than 250 boom connections were made and some 35,000 pounds of fuel was
transferred.  (Photo by Judson Brohmer)

992148b.jpg and 992148b.gif
An F-22 Raptor connects with a KC-10 Extender during tests to determine
compatibility between the two planes.  The refueler crew, from Travis Air
Force Base, Calif., assisted evaluators from the 452 Flight Test Squadron,
Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., in conducting these tests which marked the
first time the Raptor was refueled by the KC-10.   During four test flights,
more than 250 boom connections were made and some 35,000 pounds of fuel was
transferred.  (Photo by Judson Brohmer)

992148c.jpg and 992148c.gif
An F-22 Raptor connects with a KC-10 Extender during tests to determine
compatibility between the two planes.  The refueler crew, from Travis Air
Force Base, Calif., assisted evaluators from the 452 Flight Test Squadron,
Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., in conducting these tests which marked the
first time the Raptor was refueled by the KC-10.   During four test flights,
more than 250 boom connections were made and some 35,000 pounds of fuel was
transferred.  (Photo by Judson Brohmer)

992147.  Flying formation honors Texas A&M students

FORT WORTH, Texas (AFPN) -- Pilots from Air Force Reserve Command's 301st
Fighter Wing flew a missing-man formation Nov. 26 over Kyle Field in College
Station, Texas, before the start of the Texas A&M - University of Texas
football game.

The fly-over followed an invocation and a period of silence and honored the
11 students and one A&M graduate killed during the construction of the
annual Texas A&M bonfire.

Four Texas A & M graduates flew the mission in F-16 Fighting Falcon aircraft
from the wing's 457th Fighter Squadron.  Maj. Jeffrey S. Smiley, class of
1980, led the formation, which included Maj. Bruce R. Cox, class of 1986;
Capt. David B. Efferson, class of 1990; and Capt. Christopher F. Yancy,
class of 1988.

The missing man formation is traditionally reserved for military aviators
killed in the line of duty.

"In essence it is the most sacred thing we airmen have to give," said Col.
Thomas A. Dyches, 301st FW commander.  "The men and women of the Air Force
Reserve Command want Fighting Texas Aggies the world over to know that our
hearts and prayers are with you."

The Reserve unit flew the formation to honor the students' service to the
Texas A&M community, a university that has had traditionally strong ties to
the U.S. military.

One of four Reserve F-16 wings, the 301st FW is located at Naval Air Station
Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base, Carswell Field.  It has been flying the F-16s
since 1991.

In recent years the wing has, on four separate occasions, conducted combat
contingency operations over Bosnia, northern Iraq and southern Iraq.  The
wing will deploy again this summer as part of the Air Force's Aerospace
Expeditionary Force 8.  (Courtesy of AFRC News Service)

992152.  Duke Field begins construction on short-field landing strip

DUKE FIELD, Fla. (AFPN) -- The 919th Special Operations Wing will soon have
another landing strip which will provide Special Operations aircrew members
more realistic training to hone their skills for clandestine operations.

A ground-breaking ceremony was held here Nov. 17th for the new short-field
landing strip that will be constructed east of Duke Field's current runway.
Duke Field is the home to the 919th SOW, the only Air Force Reserve unit in
Air Force Special Operations Command.

The Duke Landing Zone will be a "one-of-a-kind" runway, specially designed
for short-field operations.  It will provide aircrews the training to land
and take off from short runways and unimproved landing zones that call for
aircrews to use the maximum performance capability of the aircraft.

"We're proud that soon we can provide this type training for aircrews with
this new landing strip," said 919th SOW Commander Col. Mark Stogsdill.
"It's been about a five-year project to get us to this point."

The new runway is considerably shorter and narrower than average landing
strips.  It will be 3,500 feet long and 60 feet wide.  For comparison, the
two main runways at nearby Eglin Air Force Base, Fla., are 10,000 feet and
12,000 feet long; their width is 300 feet.  The new runway will also be
equipped with three airfield-marking patterns that will include lighting for
night use, including night vision goggle-compatible lighting.

Duke Field also conducts the flying portion of the initial qualification
training required for all MC-130E Combat Talon I aircrews, both active duty
and Reserve.

"The runway will also be a great training tool for the students, enhancing
their skills and providing the real picture and feel of a real short-field
landing zone," Stogsdill said.

The 919th SOW flies Combat Talons and MC-130P Combat Shadows.  Both aircraft
airdrop personnel and cargo, receive fuel from airborne tanker aircraft,
transfer fuel to probe-equipped helicopters and conduct
infiltration/exfiltration missions in and out of a combat zone.  Crews wear
night vision goggles to allow them to see at night.

The Combat Talon has additional equipment that allows the aircraft to
penetrate deep into hostile territory to perform its mission.  It has a
sophisticated navigation system with terrain following and terrain avoidance
radar that allows the aircraft to follow the contours of the surface at
altitudes as low as 250 feet.

Currently, to get short-field landing practice, aircrews must use long
runways and simulate landing on a shorter field by marking off the area with
markers or lights.

Construction is expected to begin later this month and should be completed
within 180 days.  The $2.96 million dollar contract for the runway was
awarded to Couch Construction of Shalimar, Fla.  (Courtesy of 919th Special
Operations Wing Public Affairs Office.)

992149.  Reserve goes to the Web in search of recruits

by Pamela S. Nault
Air Force Reserve Command Public Affairs

ROBINS AIR FORCE BASE, Ga. (AFPN) -- A campaign that mixes traditional
broadcast, print and billboard advertising with World Wide Web technology is
netting Air Force Reserve Command recruiters thousands of potential
recruits.  In the process, the accomplishment has reaped awards for the
command's contracted advertising agency.

Reserve recruiters, working with TMP Worldwide, whose specialty is
recruitment advertising, developed an advertising campaign of posters and
billboards, radio and television public service announcements, and some paid
advertisements.  But central to their campaign was developing and launching
a first-rate commercial web site - www.afreserve.com/.

While traditional advertising remains a reliable foundation for public
awareness of Reserve recruiting needs and military service benefits, the Web
is the future for targeting a broader audience in search of job
opportunities, say recruiters.

"Every indication points to the Web as the medium of choice for job
referrals," said Chief Master Sgt. Eric Snipes, chief of the advertising
branch for the Directorate of Recruiting at Headquarters AFRC.  "We're
averaging 1,500 inquiries per month through our Web site."

The command's 300-plus production recruiters operate in overdrive to respond
to every potential applicant to determine their eligibility and
qualifications.

"This is not a bad problem to have," said Snipes.  "It confirms we're headed
in the right direction in our efforts to sign-up 12,000 qualified citizen
airmen in fiscal year 2000."

For years, the Reserve relied heavily on people leaving active duty to meet
its end strength requirements.  But fewer people are leaving active duty so
recruiters must target those who have no military experience.

The agency's campaign focused on the Reserve's key selling points:  career
advancement, training, benefits, patriotism and high technology.  The
campaign extends to all levels:  non-prior and prior service members,
educators, parents, students and health-care professionals.

"Simply put, we're looking for men and women who want part-time military
experience while attending college or pursuing a civilian career," explained
Snipes.

Earlier this year, TMPW competed against 44 other agencies and firms for
1999 Employment Management Association Creative Excellence Awards.  The
annual competition featured more than 850 entries.

In addition to receiving the most Creative Excellence Awards, the agency
earned four awards of merit for its Reserve recruiting campaign.  The awards
are for:
-- Internet corporate employment site (www.afreserve.com)
-- Internet banner campaign (campus/college recruitment)
-- Radio (public service announcement)
-- Television (public service announcement) - "It's your time!" and "No day
at the beach!"

"It's always an honor to be recognized by your peers," said Steve Graham,
vice president, and national creative director for TMPW.  "We're
particularly pleased our Reserve campaign earned awards in different
recruitment advertising mediums.  This tells us our approach is on target.
We're headed in the right direction and making an impact."

TMPW recommended a new recruiting slogan "Air Force Reserve - Above &
Beyond" and branded the slogan with a new logo, a stylized aircraft soaring
overhead.  "Above & Beyond underscores a campaign of high visibility and new
technology," said Graham.

"Our objective," said Snipes, "was to deliver a clear and concise message
that promotes the Reserve's role in the nation's defense - while increasing
accessions to meet mission requirements.  We're getting results, but to
succeed, the job referrals must become accessions."  (Courtesy of AFRC News
Service)

992150.  Air Force wins Armed Forces Soccer Championship

by Bill Kinder
Air Force Services Agency

NAVAL STATION NORFOLK, Va. (AFPN) -- It may not have rivaled the Women's
World Cup Soccer Championship, but the 18th Annual Armed Forces Soccer
Championship had its moments here from Nov. 7 to 12.

Most of those moments belonged to the Air Force team that won its sixth
title in the 18-year history of the event.  The Air Force team was in
control from the opening game and finished the tournament with a 5-0-1
record.

A key to the Air Force's dominance was "our stingy defense and ability to
become very cohesive in a short period of time, and our ability to maintain
that cohesiveness during the grueling six-day tournament," said Douglas
Hill, Air Force coach.  Hill was an assistant coach at the Air Force Academy
for five years.

The tournament was a double round robin, with each team playing one game
each day of the six-day event.

The Marine Corps team took the silver medal, the Navy finished third and the
Army fourth.

The following airmen were selected to the Armed Forces all-star team:
Ryan Schaffer, Garrett Zindell, Chris Cole, Jarret Robinson and Shayne
Kiefer.

992151.  WWII vets recall B-29 air power

by Capt. John N. Bryan
Air Education and Training Command Public Affairs

RANDOLPH AIR FORCE BASE, Texas (AFPN) -- Members of the World War II-era
504th Bomb Group Association recall their group's achievements in the
Asiatic-Pacific Theater in two new books.

The books, "History of the 504th Bomb Group (VH) in World War II" and
"Accused American War Criminal," document the role B-29 Superfortress crew
members played in the war, and how the bombers helped shorten the Pacific
war against Japan.

Fiske Hanley II, who wrote the books, and Tom Schoolcraft, 504 BG
Association president, recently presented the books to Lt. Gen. David W.
McIlvoy, Air Education and Training Command vice commander.

The 504 BG began combat operations while based on Tinian Island in January
1945.  It practiced by bombing targets on Iwo Jima and the Truk Islands,
then began operations against the Japanese homeland in February.  Initial
bombing missions were flown during the day at high altitude, concentrating
on chemical plants, aircraft factories, harbors and arsenals.

Gen. Curtis LeMay studied the poor results and instructed the 504th to begin
low-level incendiary raids at night.  The raids targeted Tokyo and some of
Japan's other major cities, Nagoya, Osaka, and Kobe.  In May 1945, the group
received a Distinguished Unit Citation for striking the industrial center at
Yokohama.

"We put more bombs on target with just two squadrons in the 504th than the
other three squadron groups did," said Schoolcraft.

That same year, the 504th began using its B-29s to drop mines in the Korean
shipping lanes, called the Shimonoseki Strait, and in harbors of the Inland
Sea.

"The naval mines we dropped sank more commercial ships than all Allied
actions against Japan," according to Hanley.

During the war, the group also hit airfields used by kamikaze planes trying
to disrupt the assault on Okinawa.  And, after the war, the 504th dropped
food and supplies to Allied prisoners.

"I was one of those Allied prisoners," said Hanley, "when my B-29 was shot
down March 27, 1945, on my first mining mission.  Four hundred and
twenty-seven B-29s went down during that time -- over 5,000 B-29 crew
members -- yet less than 200 survived."

That is because the aircrew members were treated worse than normal POWs, he
said. "We had special rules like no medical attention, half rations,
handcuffs, blindfolds, continual beatings and no communications with the
other prisoners."

On Aug. 6, 1945, the Enola Gay, a B-29 stationed at Tinian Island, dropped
the world's first atomic bomb on the Japanese city of Hiroshima.  Three days
later, a second bomb was dropped on Nagasaki.

"We don't want people to think of us as villains," said Schoolcraft.  "The
A-bomb ended the war and saved millions of American and Japanese lives that
would have been lost had we invaded the mainland of Japan."

"On Aug. 14, the Kempei Tai headquarters camp commander ordered the
execution of all Allied prisoners being held," Hanley added.  "They were
preparing for the Nov. 1, 1945, planned invasion of Japan, and more than
300,000 POWs were going to be executed before the Allies invaded."

Fortunately, the camp deputy commander disobeyed the orders and took them to
Tokyo Bay, where they were eventually liberated by a Navy-Marine task force
led by Cmdr. Harold E. Stassen, Aug. 29, 1945.

Japan eventually surrendered to the Allies Sep. 2, 1945, ending World War
II.

Hanley, now a retired aeronautical engineer, lives in Fort Worth, Texas.
Schoolcraft lives in Seguin, Texas, and owns a real estate brokerage.  Both
men wanted to give a part of their aviation experiences back to the Air
Force, and, "Randolph is a good location for our books to pass to future air
warriors," said Hanley."  "We thought it was important to help present and
future airmen to better understand their heritage earned during World War
II."

"This city (San Antonio) has such a rich history of aviation, so this adds
to the culture," said McIlvoy.  "This is really important for our future
generations of airmen."

**COPYRIGHT NOTICE** In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107,

DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER
screeds are not allowed. Substanceónot soapboxing!  These are sordid matters
nazi's need not apply.