-Caveat Lector-

>From The Irish Times,
http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/world/1999/1130/wor5.htm
-
Tuesday, November 30, 1999

Pyramids to rent for New Age pilgrims

EGYPT: Late at night, long after the last foot-sore tourists have headed
back to their hotels, pilgrims of a different kind gather silently at the
Great Pyramid of Giza.

Forty-four souls, assembled from as far afield as the United States,
Britain, Norway, New Zealand and Israel, patiently await security clearance
before ascending to the 4,500-year-old structure, whose meaning has
confounded minds for centuries.

The crackle of Egyptian police walkie-talkies occasionally punctures the
serenity, but these New Age pilgrims are unperturbed. For them, the night
vigil is a homecoming.

"We are a group of people from around the world who have come to spend some
time with Ma in Israel and Egypt," says Mr George Riemer, a stockbroker from
Bend, Oregon. "The one thing we have in common is that we are all seekers of
truth."

Chalanda Ma is the group's Indian-born, California-based guru. A small,
intense woman draped in a white sari, she explains the significance of the
Great Pyramid.

"The pyramids carry the consciousness, the constant of light. It is a pure
vehicle of light and harvests those seeking for the light and who come here
with the knowledge. Space will activate their energy," she says.

Her group has no name. "I have no beliefs, I do not function with beliefs.
In the word belief, there is the word lie, and for me this is not the
truth," she says. Ma leads her followers in a twohour ritual in the King's
Room in the heart of the Great Pyramid.

"Ask yourself, are you committed to yourself, to God? Do you have the
willpower to love yourself, and God? Are you following the path of light, or
of darkness?" she asks, eyes closed, her voice resonating in the chamber.

One by one her devotees lie down in a lidless granite sarcophagus. "Heal!"
Ma exhorts, striking it with a metal rod, as her acolytes produce an eerie
drone from musical bell-jars.The session ends in the Queen's Room, where the
group meditates, humming in unison.

As they activate their energy, an electricity generator powering the lights
drones in the background. Down the corridor come the faint sounds of the
guards chatting in the entrance.

"It's just like coming home, that's all I can say. Amazing," says one
follower from Israel, summing up the general feeling afterwards. This is her
first visit to Egypt. "But I know I have been here before, in ancient
times," she adds.

If the antiquities authorities at the Giza pyramids find such groups odd,
they are not saying so out loud.

Parties of 15 pay 3,600 Egyptian pounds (about £1,200), and another 70
pounds for each additional person, to have the Great Pyramid to themselves
for three hours. Chalanda Ma and her retinue paid 5,630 pounds for their
chance to commune with truth.

Antiquities officials say about 40 groups a month have been renting the
pyramid for New Age rituals in the run-up to the next millennium, and they
expect business to double in 2000.

"This year has been the highest, because of the millennium. Next year there
will be perhaps 2,000 people per month," says Mr Ahmed al-Haggar, chief
inspector at the Giza Pyramids.

But all visits, day and night, to the interiors will stop from midDecember
until January 1st, as plans unfold for a spectacular New Year's Eve concert
at the pyramids arranged by French musician Jean-Michel Jarre.

Giza plateau director Mr Zahi Hawass said security concerns lay behind the
decision to bar access to the inner chambers.

"New Year is big - everyone wants to be here in front of the Pyramids," he
said. The unpredictable could not be ruled out.

Last year a German tourist jumped to his death from the Cairo tower in the
belief that a visit he had just made to the Pyramids would keep him safe.

Mr Hawass also finds his patience tried by what he calls the "pyramidiots" -
theorists who accuse the Egyptian authorities of concealing the truth about
the origins of the monuments.

"When people come and meditate there is no problem. But there are those who
really are nuts, fill the Internet with lies and think we are hiding
evidence about the lost civilisation.

"The pyramidiots want to steal the pyramids for themselves," he says. "But I
don't mean that those who meditate inside the pyramids are pyramidiots," he
adds. "They are nice people and they should be respected." - (Reuters)

--
Dan S