-Caveat Lector-

SkeptiNews 991201b - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

* Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
* Nothing contained here is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy, or meaning.
* PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE THE ENTIRE BULLETIN WHEN YOU REPLY; CUT/PASTE, EH?
* No mitochondria were mutated to produce this bulletin. Not enough time.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ This day in history: http://www.capitolhillblue.com/history.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Computer virus tears through companies. SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A computer
  virus rampaged through corporate systems, devouring files, crippling
  e-mail systems and affecting thousands of computers Tuesday, according
  to anti-virus experts. The Mini-Zip virus, related to one that caused
  a serious outbreak in June, was expected to renew its assault Wednesday
  morning as unsuspecting users checked their e-mail inboxes. Prepare to
  die: http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562345881-19a

: What's your favorite virus? Have your files been devoured yet? Have you
crippled any email systems lately? When will a hyper-cyber-virus infect all
systems on the planet, bringing our technological civilization to its knees?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ SCIENTIFIC UFOLOGY. “There is a problem with the so-called science of UFO-
  logy. Those practicing it are anything but scientific in their approach to
  it. All too often we in the UFO community talk about applying the rigors
  of scientific methodology to our study, and then we fail to do so. For the
  most part, we believe in science but all too often reject it when it does
  not conform to our beliefs about UFOs.” http://www.caus.org/pn120199.htm

: Can you describe the "scientific method?" Can this method be applied to
the study of UFOs? Has it ever been? D'ya have a workable, testable, viable
explanation for UFOs, supported by the preponderance of the data? Why not??
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Human route out of Africa suggested. (AP) Scientists examining hereditary
  material in cells suggest that modern humans followed a migration wave
  from Africa to Asia more than 50,000 years ago after an earlier exodus to
  the Mediterranean & Greece. Blood samples of people from east Africa and
  India showed close genetic similarities that indicate a common African
  ancestor. The researchers examined mitochondria, units outside of the
  cell's nucleus that act as a cell's energy source. Mitochondria were once
  parasites but are now symbiotic. They have their own genetic material -
  passed only by the mother from generation to generation - which lets
  scientists trace ancestry between geographically distant human popula-
  tions. http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562337396-9dc

: Why did our ET breeders 'seed' Africa [and not the Americas] with early
humans? Why did they infect our cells with mitochondria? Is ET DNA mitochon-
drial? Can ETs be recreated by breeding mitochondria? Would that be wise??
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ UFO Close Encounter Of 1678. Jane Lead (1623-1704), British mystic and
  poet, experienced nightly prophetic visions, which she struggled to
  interpret in the light of Christian doctrine. Many of her incredibly
  detailed visions are larger than her interpretations allow and they
  spill over into the numinous in all kinds of unexpected ways. In her
  remarkable spiritual diary, entitled A Fountain of Gardens (1700), we
  find the following account... http://www.caus.org/pc120199.htm

: Do you have large visions? Are you informed by aliens? Are ETs gods? Who?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Japan cops raid religious group. TOKYO (AP)  Police searching for evidence
  of fraud raided the offices of a Japanese religious group that promised to
  cure diseases by examining the soles of people's feet. The headquarters of
  Ho-no-Hana Sampogyo, near the base of Mt. Fuji, 95 miles west from Tokyo,
  and 73 other spots nationwide were raided. Ho-no-Hana Sampogyo refused to
  comment. The name roughly translates as "teaching of the flower-three
  teachings." http://infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562344361-a6e

@ KEY BOOKS ON FASCISM - The Cunning of History by Richard Rubenstein:
  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0061320684/progressiverevieA/
@ Rise & Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany by W.L.Shirer:
  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0449219771/progressiverevieA/
@ Friendly Fascism: The New Face of Power in America by Bertram Myron Gross:
  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0896081494/progressiverevieA/
@ They Thought They Were Free: The Germans, 1933-35 by Milton Sanford Mayer:
  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0226511928/progressiverevieA/
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ Three Reasons for Govt UFO Secrecy. "(1) We have no defense for this
  if they are hostile; (2) People in general will panic if told the
  truth; and (3) People are basically ignorant and cannot or will not
  comprehend this." We are mere worms: http://www.caus.org/mc120199.htm

# WHAT COST SECRECY? What is the price of secrecy & intelligence? Just how
  secret does the price-tag have to be on what our govt spent on foreign
  intelligence? Just how secret did the price-tag have to be on what the
  government spent on Richard Nixon's begonias? Taxpayers are curious:
  http://www.capitolhillblue.com/Dec1999/120199/secrecy120199.htm

: What's your favorite govt secret? Were Nixon's begonias extraterrestrial?
Should alien garden plants be classified? Was Nixon a Reptilioid? Are you?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

MarsBars:

# Mars Polar Lander set for landing. PASADENA, Calif. (AP) - NASA's Mars
  Polar Lander is in excellent shape and on track for a safe landing Friday.
  The probe is expected to spend 90 days searching for water and studying
  Mars' climate history, unless it crashes like the last Martian probe.
  See http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562340046-eef

# Polar lander ready for Mars. (BBC) The Mars Polar Lander spacecraft will
  soon make the first-ever landing near Mars' south pole. Mars trembles:
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_543000/543835.stm
  http://science.nasa.gov/newhome/headlines/ast30nov99_2.htm

# Martian mysteries under the microscope:
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_543000/543997.stm
# Evening clouds on a Martian volcano:
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_460000/460031.stm

# NASA Aims Beyond Mars. There's lots more going on at NASA than next
  month's Red Planet rendezvous. Dozens of Jet Propulsion Laboratory
  missions are searching for answers to the mysteries of space. Vroom:
  http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,32669,00.html?tw=wn19991130
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

  "There's something so rootless and chaotic about the Clintons. They seem
   like a virus or alien that needs a host body to survive. They've invaded
   our national psyche and we're going to have to keep living with their
   weird marital problems and tangle ambitions forever and ever. Their
   business will never be finished. They are never going to go away
   because they have not place else to go." --Maureen Dowd, N.Y. Times

* Rev. Ric Carter, ULC * http://skepticon.da.ru * FAX: 603-415-3736
* Fringe * Science * Faith * Sex/Drugs * UFO/PSI/Y2K * Conspiracy *
* email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* (sorry, I can't answer all email - but thanks for your feedback)
* SkeptiChat/News archives: http://www.sonic.net/~ric/sc/files.htm
* THE OFFICIAL MAILING LIST OF THE *SEVENTY*SEVENTH* MILLENNIUM!!