-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 12/6/99 6:10:40 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> China says Seattle scraps Falun Gong endorsement
>
>  By Matt Pottinger
>
>  BEIJING, Dec 2 (Reuters) - The mayor of Seattle has scrapped plans to
honour
>  the leader of the Falun Gong spiritual movement under pressure from China,
>  Chinese state media said on Thursday.

Then there is this latest article by I. M. Fatuous of Independant News
Service:

    The President has desided to scrpa parts of the Constitution when
visiting Chinese dignitaries displayed their chagrin at the "individual
freedom" that was intended in the document.  The Chinese stated that this
freedom was tantamount to anarchy and did not allow for normal order and
state control which are essential to the running of any good fascist police
state.
    The President went on to apologize for having kept such provisions as
freedom of speech for so long a time without considering the consequences.
He went on to beg the Chinese for forgiveness.  In related news the President
has finally reached an unprecedented agreement with the Chinese which he
characterized as "of immense importance to the United States and our National
Security in the years to come".  The Presidet authorized the Chinese Military
to link up with our law enforcement agencies to root out "extremists,
religious wackos, right wing commandos, freethinkers, intellectuals, or 'any
one else having ideas contrary to that of the Central Party Apparat'",
although not yet authorizing the use of deadly force in the apprehension of
such groups the use of Non-Lethal weapons has been authorized.
    A spokesman has poo pooed the ideas expressed by some members of
Congress, under requests to remain anonymous, that this represents no threat
to American sovereinty and damages our security.  The spokesman did admit
that technically the Chinese WERE put IN CHARGE and that they have the power
to make all law enforcement decisions, they have nonetheless agreed to abide
by some restrictions that we have placed on them to satisfy some old
fashioned members of the citizenry.  He said he hoped that in the coming
years such restrictions could be lifted and security for the US would be
assured. . . .

***********************************
"Welcome to the desert of the real."  Morpheus, "The Matrix".

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human
mind to correlate all its contents.
  We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of seas of infinity,
and it is not meant that we should
  voyage far.  The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have
hitherto harmed us little; but someday
  the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying
vistas of reality, and of our
  frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation
or flee from the deadly light into the
  peace and safety of a new dark age."  H.P.Lovecraft; "The Call of Cthulhu"