Subject: NSA to Spy with FBI - but wont tell CIA who's in charge!
From: <A HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] ">[EMAIL PROTECTED] </A> (E Right)
Date: Tue, 07 December 1999 12:23 AM EST

NSA to Spy with FBI - but wont tell CIA who's in charge!

NEW YORK, Dec. 5 /PRNewswire/ -- The National Security Agency is now
drafting "memoranda of understanding" to clarify ways in which it can help
the FBI track terrorists and criminals in the United States, territory in
which it is generally off-limits, Newsweek has learned. --
www.newsweek.com

ER> NSA is going to spy on Americans? You know, the NSA, the ones who have
a system allegedly called ECHELON, which can monitor everyone's phone
calls everywhere? They want to monitor the internet now. They will be
working with the FBI who required the telephone companies to install
wiretap friendly (CALEA *) relays, and of course they have protected
"SECRET EVIDENCE" which no one can cross examine...

ER> Our intelligence oversight committees don't have a clue what's going
on by the way, since they still haven't been told if ECHELON exists or
not, and what it has been doing over the last decade.

ER> Is this "terrorism" boogey man (which has been decreasing by the way!)
creating a totalitarian secret police state? It appears so. The NSA swears
they wont share their database and info with the CIA, but folks, our
intelligence agencies allegedly were centralized under the CIA years ago.
The Director of the CIA is supposed at the top of the intelligence
gathering hierarchy, so we are to assume they wouldn't know what they are
in charge of? Preposterous!

Read more closely:

NEW YORK, Dec. 5 /PRNewswire/ -- The National Security Agency is now
drafting "memoranda of understanding" to clarify ways in which it can help
the FBI track terrorists and criminals in the United States, territory in
which it is generally off-limits, Newsweek has learned. The FBI, never
known for its technical know-how, welcomes the help from the high-tech
NSA, but some senators are uneasy about letting the NSA eavesdrop more in
the United States <ER: MORE???>....

While a secret court must approve any national-security wiretaps on U.S.
citizens, there is still the risk of abuse. Under pressure to perform
better, the NSA and CIA could overreach. Under the existing rules, the NSA
and CIA are supposed to spy on foreign threats while the FBI tends to
crime at home. But the Internet has blurred boundaries, and as the bombing
of the World Trade Center in 1993 demonstrated, foreign terrorists have
targeted the United States.

ER> Clue, shooting the wrong civilians, bombing the wrong aspirin
factories, and burning the wrong church CAUSES TERRORISM! The Oklahoma
terroristic attack would NOT have happened if Ruby Ridge and the Waco
massacre never happened.

But the NSA may be losing its grip on the technology front. "The agency
has got to make some changes," because "by standing still, we are going to
fall behind very quickly," concedes Air Force Lt. Gen. Mike Hayden, the
new chief of the NSA, in an interview with Newsweek. The old tools, such
as spy satellites and global-listening stations to pick up broadcast
transmissions and massive computers to sort and decipher them, are
relatively ineffective on the new Info Highway. <Oh here it is - they want
to SPY ON THE INTERNET! WINK, LIKE THEY NEVER DID THAT BEFORE?> The
agency's problems have already been costly. The intelligence community's
failure to predict that India would test a nuclear weapon in 1998 <NO
AGENT ON GROUND PROBLEM?> suggests that the NSA is becoming hard of
hearing. <BECAUSE THEY HAVE BECOME LAZY THINKING MACHINES WILL TELL THEM
EVERYTHING?> Some intelligence experts speculate that Washington has had
difficulty finding its most-wanted terrorist, Osama bin Laden, because
Islamic extremists use European-made encrypted mobile phones, reports
Newsweek in the December 13 issue (on newsstands Monday, December 6). <ER:
The Maxwell Smart excuse, the old complicated gadget trick? Did these
folks consider they might find Bin Laden if they look outside our border?>

SOURCE Newsweek - Web Site: <A HREF="http://www.newsweek.com">http://www.newsw
eek.com</A>

ER> Why don't the intel.govs start working on bombing the right enemy
buildings overseas and work your way up from there before you do try this
on US civilians...

xxx
EXCERPTS:

NSA Patents New Technology To Monitor Millions Of Phones Calls

The US National Security Agency has designed and patented a new technology
that could aid it in spying on international telephone calls. The NSA
patent, granted on 10 August, is for a system of automatic topic spotting
and labeling of data. The patent officially confirms for the first time
that the NSA has been working on ways of automatically analyzing human
speech.

The NSA's invention is intended automatically to sift through human speech
transcripts in any language. The patent document specifically mentions
"machine-transcribed speech" as a potential source.

Bruce Schneier, author of Applied Cryptography, a textbook on the science
of keeping information secret, believes the NSA currently has the ability
to use computers to transcribe voice conversations.

"One of the holy grails of the NSA is the ability automatically to search
through voice traffic. They would have expended considerable effort on
this capability, and this indicates it has been fruitful," he said.

To date, it has been widely believed that while the NSA has the capability
to conduct fully automated, mass electronic eavesdropping on e-mail, faxes
and other written communications, it cannot do so on telephone calls.
<WINK>

While cautioning that it was difficult to tell how well the ideas in the
patent worked in practice, Schneier said the technology could have
far-reaching effects on the privacy of international phone calls.

"If it works well, the technology makes it possible for the NSA to harvest
millions of telephone calls, looking for certain types of conversations,"
he said.

"It's easy to eavesdrop on any single phone call, but sifting through
millions of phone calls looking for a particular conversation is
difficult," Schneier explained. "In terms of automatic surveillance, text
is easier to search than speech. This patent brings the surveillance of
speech closer to that of text." <ER: Translation - they are going to
monitor ALL PHONE CALLS to find interesting ones to concentrate on!>

The NSA declined to comment on the patent. As a general policy, the agency
never comments on its intelligence activities.

Yaman Akdeniz, director of Cyber-Rights & Cyber-Liberties UK, warned that
with the new patent and a proposed AT&T and BT joint venture, which will
allow US law enforcement agencies to tap the new communications network:
"We might have a picture in which all British communications are monitored
by the NSA."

<ER: DUH!>

By Suelette Dreyfus
<A
HREF="http://www.independent.co.uk/news/Digital/Features/spies151199.shtml">ht
tp://www.independent.co.uk/news/Digital/Features/spies151199.shtml</A>
11-17-99

---
* CALEA
Federal Communications Commission
1919 M St., N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20554

In October 1994, Congress passed and the President signed the
Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA or the Act). The
Act was designed to respond to rapid advances in telecommunications
technology and enable law enforcement personnel to continue to conduct
electronic surveillance efficiently and effectively.
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.
Em Hotep, Peace Be,