-Caveat Lector-

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 01:07:28 -0500
From: Eric Eldred <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: An All-Too-Brief History of the Internet?

I am reading an interesting online book:

 A Brief History Of The Internet by Michael Hart and Max Fuller,
(c) 1995

at (sorry for the URL--you'll have to unwrap it):
http://www.netlibrary.com/api-bin/viewbook.dll?clientID=229156&EV=83057&infobase=1085022.nfo&softpage=All_Frame_Pg

I wonder if Michael Hart and Max Fuller gave
permission to NetLibrary to publish the book
online at their site?

I found it a bit ironic that the work
includes this quote:

 "as long as the Information Superhighway is not taken over
 by the INFORMATION RICH and denied access to others other
 than for a fee they may not be able to pay, and shouldn't
 have to pay."

when the New York Times today says (free subscription
required):

at
http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/12/biztech/articles/09book.html

""""

NetLibrary, [the publishers of the work cited above]
for instance, has outposts in China, India
and the Philippines where workers are converting books
to electronic copies by typing the text into
computers. Scanning the material directly into a
computer posed too much potential for errors,
according to the company. And so now the digital
versions are copied in other parts of the world and
then edited and refined by "book builders" at
netLibrary's rapidly expanding headquarters in
Boulder, Colo., where two shifts of employees work,
from 7 a.m. to midnight. The company is converting
about 50 books a day, but by December, the rate will
rise to 200, said David Melancon, the company's
marketing director.

A start-up, with $105 million in new financing,
netLibrary is aggressively pursuing major libraries to
buy electronic collections so that library users will
have 24-hour access to titles, with full-text
searches. Since August, it has sold more than $1.5
million in electronic books to libraries like the one
at the University of Texas, which bought 1,000 copies
and acquired 5,000 more titles through consortium
purchases. At this point, netLibrary's digital
collection is dominated by reference and scholarly
titles from academic presses, but the company intends
to offer popular trade book titles that could also be
offered to individual users by subscription.

"Everybody realizes how quickly the business is going
to change," Melancon said.  "And once it starts,
having first-mover advantage is huge. The key to
grabbing the market is having the most content."

""""

And this from the article:

>But because of security and piracy concerns, Simon &
>Schuster is still reluctant to allow Microsoft access
>to its titles for use with new digital display software
>that will be available next year for reading, searching
>and annotating books on a computer.

----

So now we know how they are going to get content
to establish a market?

There is nothing in the article about the 10,000
books in English available free online.  I go to
the Columbia U. web site that is supposed to contain
online books about foreign policy, and I find I
can't enter without paying for a password, and I
can't even read the books there that are published
by the federal government without copyright.  What
happened to the idea of a university as a beacon
of light, of truth to the world, of a library where
anyone is free to enter and read anything she wants?

Isn't the web moving to online books as pay-per-view?
Should we cooperate with this?  What will happen
to the fair use rights of users when all books
will be available only by subscription, and
covered by a license that gives the consumer no
rights at all?  Should the U.S. have changed
copyright law to allow books printed in China or
the Phillipines to be copyrightable--the sweatshops
there will be typing in the books, instead of
workers in the U.S.?  The media giants have taken
the next 20 years of the public domain--what is
next?

Maybe we should take our books off until Microsoft,
Bertelsmann, and the other media giants who say they
invented the etext decide it's not a market
they can dominate, and quit appropriating our books
to make money for themselves?

[Moderator note: The Project Gutenberg version of "A Brief History of
 the Internet" does give a general license for other folks to distribute
 it under certain conditions.  At
 ftp://uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu/pub/etext/gutenberg/etext95/bhoti01.txt
 you can see the license details in the "small print" section, and also
 read the rest of Michael Hart's book without needing frames. - JMO]
NOTE: ADDRESSES CHANGING SOON!   Watch for details.