-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a prelude to war!

STRATFOR.COM Global Intelligence Update
December 13, 1999

Stratfor's 1995-2005 Forecast: A Mid-term Evaluation

Stratfor is now entering its end of the year cycle. This year is
obviously different, since it is also the end of the decade - and
the millennium. We've decided to pass on forecasts for the
millennium or century. The risk is mitigated by the fact that we
won't be around to take the heat for incorrect forecasts.
Nevertheless, our process doesn't go out that far. We have decided
to issue a new decade forecast to supersede the one created in
1995. The new decade global forecast will be released Dec. 19, in
our weekly mailing. More detailed regional forecasts will be
simultaneously posted to our web site. We will release our 2000
annual forecast Jan. 3, 2000. We have decided to begin our annual
forecasting process this year with a retrospective evaluation of
our last decade forecast, which covered 1995-2005. Since we are at
mid-course on that forecast, it is important to evaluate which
elements have been fulfilled, which we still expect will be
fulfilled and which we were wrong about. The original forecast can
be found at [ http://www.stratfor.com/services/giu/decade.asp ]. We
will assume that our readers have had access to it in reading this
evaluation.

Analysis:

Our decade forecast began by asserting that we were in the grip of
two contradictory trends. On one hand, we said that we were in a
period of unprecedented economic prosperity and growth. On the
other hand, we foresaw increasing international tension. We feel
comfortable that this fundamental trend has been in place for the
past five years, will continue into the next decade and will
intensify, as we will discuss in the new decade forecast next week.
The assumptions, made in 1995, that global prosperity and conflict
are incompatible have proven generally untrue. There are two
reasons for this. First, prosperity and growth can generate
conflict quite as easily as they can defuse it. For example, World
War I occurred during a period of tremendous prosperity. Second, as
we point out later in our decade forecast, a general global
prosperity does not mean universal prosperity. One of the trends we
forecast was a growing disparity between the U.S. economy and that
of Asia and Russia. That has happened and will increasingly tend to
destabilize the system.

In our specific economic forecasts we said:

"The United States is by far in the best financial and demographic
position to capitalize on this tendency [massive economic growth]."
Obviously, we were correct on this forecast and continue to be
extremely bullish on the U.S. economy. As we will see next week, we
do not foresee major economic problems until after 2005, although
we certainly do expect a short recession before then.

"The European Union's enjoyment of this period will be limited
somewhat by Germany's ongoing digestive problems - absorbing the
old East Germany - and an inability to create a Monetary Union."
Here we were both clearly right and very wrong. Germany has
certainly had serious economic problems that have limited Europe's
economic dynamism. On the other hand, we were clearly in error on
our Euro forecast. It was in fact created.

It is worth pausing to consider why we made that error. Monetary
policy is the key to economic policy. It is also the place where
politics and economics meet directly. The European Union contains a
large number of economies, all at different points in their
business cycle. The creation of a single monetary policy must, by
definition, help some countries while it hurts others. A one-size-
fits-all policy doesn't work. In the United States, diverging
economic interests helped drive the South to secede from the Union.
Its ability to secede was not decided economically or politically,
but militarily. Since there was no central military power in Europe
to force nations into the Euro, or to keep them there once policies
harming particular national interests were in place, it followed
that resistance to the new currency would be substantial.

We therefore predicted that the Euro wouldn't get off the ground.
But we didn't calculate two things into the equation. The first was
the level of commitment to the Euro from the European financial
community and national leaders. Failing to create a monetary union
would have been politically destabilizing. Second, we failed to
appreciate that in a condition of general prosperity, in which the
smaller, more vulnerable economies would do particularly well, the
pain of a single European monetary policy would not be felt
intensely. Therefore, the Euro was created. Obviously, it has had
mixed reviews on a number of levels. Its real test will come during
the next downturn of Europe's business cycle, when the divergences
will become more intense along with the pain. We were clearly wrong
on the creation of the Euro, but we remain very skeptical about its
long-term viability.

"Japan will share least in the new prosperity. The follies of the
1980s, when Japanese corporations sacrificed market share in order
to maintain cash flow and pay enormous debt service, will continue
to haunt Japan." We were obviously accurate in this forecast and
view it as still in place for at least the next few years.

"We strongly feel that the last decade's surge in East Asian
economies will be peaking during the 1996-97 cycle." We were
clearly correct on this assessment. There is some debate on how
badly China was hurt in the crash. It is our view that China's
damage is much more substantial than official figures indicate. Our
forecast did contain one error: we were focused on East Asia and
did not recognize until the summer of 1996 that Southeast Asia
would also be pulled down economically.

"We find the economic prospects for the Indian Ocean basin
particularly interesting. India's own growth possibilities, coupled
with growth in South Africa, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia hold
open the possibility of a powerful growth surge in the region."
Obviously, our inclusion of Indonesia in this group was an error.
As well, the Indian Ocean basin has not yet surged, although there
are interesting signs of strength. Clearly our prediction here has
not, after five years, come to fruition. We will consider next week
whether the region holds any promise in the next five or ten years.

"The worst is over for the Third World. Increased global prosperity
has placed a floor under mineral and agricultural prices." Here we
were both wrong and right. Both agricultural and mineral prices
moved toward new, historic lows from 1995-99. However, there are
increasing signs that the long-term bottom we were expecting did
occur over the past year and that prices will trend upwards for the
next five. If so, then our forecast that the worst is over for the
Third World will be fulfilled, albeit late in the decade forecast.

Among our political forecasts:

"The United States will, we think, revert to a blue-water strategy,
maintain its naval power to the edge of Eurasia, but as far as
possible, avoid engagement on the mainland beyond attempting to
maintain the balance of power through political and economic means.
Behind that naval war, the United States will experience
unprecedented levels of prosperity, returning to a psychology
redolent of the interwar and pre-World War I period." The U.S.
intervention in the former Yugoslavia not withstanding, the growing
indifference of the American public to events in the
Eastern Hemisphere does indicate that the psychological sensibility
is increasingly in place. U.S. risk taking - as opposed to low-risk
presence - has clearly declined. There is also a clear split
between the public's psychology and the policy-making elite's views
that limits risk taking. We regard the Kosovo war as an endpoint to
U.S. policy, rather than as a harbinger of future actions.

Areas of instability:

"The Russian borderlands where Russia will seek to reassert itself,
meeting resistance at various points from Germany, the Islamic
countries and China, each of whom will, for their own reasons,
support breakaway elements." Russia is clearly reasserting itself
in its borderlands, particularly in the Caucasus. Russia has begun,
but not intensified, a program for reasserting its authority in the
Baltics and Ukraine. Germany has clearly been extremely cautious in
resisting the mild Russian probes to this point. We continue to
stand by the forecast that Germany and Russia will, despite
Germany's wishes, experience tension over the future of the
European portions of the former Soviet Union, particularly if the
United States is unprepared to act on its own. One area in which we
were clearly in error was the assumption that the Chinese would
resist Russian attempts to reassert authority in Central Asia.
Quite the contrary, China is encouraging Russian assertiveness to
increase its own security against Islamic forces, and out of a
desire to see a stronger Russia for partnership against the United
States. Thus, Russia is reasserting itself in Central Asia, but
with Chinese encouragement rather than opposition.

"China itself where we expect growing instability, including the
strong possibility of fragmentation and civil war, between the
interior and coastal regions." This was clearly our most dubious
forecast. The ability of the Chinese government to contain
political tensions has proven much more formidable than we
expected. There has obviously been substantial political strife and
Beijing has shown serious insecurity, as the Falun Gong crackdown
indicates. Yet the Party, security and military apparatus
have managed to maintain order. Nevertheless, we are
not prepared to abandon this forecast at this point. We see China
as much more fragile than most observers and will argue, next week,
that the ability of the regime to survive its failures may be
substantially less than currently appears to be the case.

"Western Europe where non-military political competition between
the UK, France and Germany will result from their different
perspectives on the role of the EU in stabilizing Europe's and
Germany's eastern frontiers." We did not have beef and mad-cow
disease in mind when we made this forecast, but it does symbolize
some of the relationship's underlying tensions. The main tension
has not yet emerged, primarily because the Russian threat has not
yet emerged fully in Europe. When it does, as we expect, it will
not create a new Cold War. Rather it will be a much lower level of
ongoing friction. This will mean that the United States will not
insert itself in Poland or Hungary. It will be left to the
Europeans themselves to define a policy. Germany's interests will
differ greatly from the United Kingdom's. We think this will become
visible in the next five years.

"East Asia, where Japan's growing politico-military power, coupled
with economic stringency, will prompt more aggressive policies, and
will become the scene of increasing U.S.-Japanese competition."
Japan, with one of the largest military budgets in the world today,
is clearly a major politico-military power, albeit not yet a
particularly aggressive one. Nevertheless, growing discussion about
an Asian Monetary Fund and other regional institutions with Japan
in a leading role clearly point toward Japan becoming a major force
in Asia. Regionalism without a military component, as we saw in
East Timor, doesn't really work. As the region's largest economic
power and major regional naval power, Japan is the logical regional
power. Now, a major domestic political upheaval will be needed for
Japan to adopt a more aggressive foreign policy. However, given the
inability of the Japanese government to solve the country's
economic problems, the ongoing de-legitimization of the current
political elite will, we believe, result in substantial political
realignment during the next five years.

We wrote in our conclusion: "The key to understanding the next
decade will be to understand that the international system is in
massive disequilibrium. One power - the United States - has an
overwhelming economic and political advantage. Ordinarily, it would
be in the interest of such a power to impose a Pax on the world.
However, because of geography - the location and size of the United
States - the costs of imposing such a pax substantially outweigh
the benefit." This remains very much the driving geopolitical
reality of the world and will continue to dominate the next decade.

Given what other people were saying in 1995, we think we've done
pretty well. We certainly were right on most of the economic
issues, save the Euro, and we are still fairly confident about its
future vulnerability. The United States has experienced an
unprecedented boom. Asia peaked. Many of our economic forecasts
materialized in the first five years of our ten-year forecast.

On the political side, we were generally correct in U.S. behavior,
except for the anomaly of Kosovo. Russia has certainly become more
assertive along its borders. We were weakest, we think, in our
predictions on Chinese politics. We called the economic turn fairly
well, but clearly underestimated China's ability to maintain
political order in the face of severe economic problems. In a
sense, the same is true of Japan. Both countries have been able to
endure economic problems that ought to have created massive,
uncontainable political disruptions. Yet in both countries, the
disruptions were contained. The issue is whether destabilization
has been avoided or whether it has simply not yet occurred. That,
among other themes, will be dealt with next week in our new decade
forecast.

(c) 1999, Stratfor, Inc. http://www.stratfor.com/

**COPYRIGHT NOTICE** In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107,