Saul Engelberg & Leonard Bushkoff©1996
Michigan State University Press
East Lansing. Michigan 48823-5202
ISBN 0-87013-414-0
257 pps. -- First Edition -- In-print
--[2]---

11
ENTER THE BOSTONIANS

THE GREAT IRONY FACED by Hill, Kennedy and the others leading the Manitoba in
the early 1880s was that increasing success brought greater volatility in the
price of Manitoba securities and serious complexities in financing. A
solution was eventually found in 1885, by bringing in new, truly committed
investors-the Bostonians who controlled the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy
line—but only after four years of mutual assessment, decision—making,
bargaining and negotiation.

The situation had developed as follows. The Manitoba was very much a growth
stock, successful in financing (thanks to Kennedy), and equally so in
construction and operations (thanks to Hill). And there was noticeable proof
in the dividends it began paying late in 1882.

The stock's high price, relative to earnings, attracted enthusiastic
speculators. The bulls bought and sold to drive prices up, using legitimate
news and not-so-legitimate rumors to trap unwary buyers. The bears thrived on
bad news, and worked to force prices down by generating panic among unknowing
investors. The Manitoba did, to be sure, enjoy some protection through the
centralization of its holdings in the hands of Kennedy and the former George
Stephen Associates: of its 200,000 shares, no more than 70,000 were traded.
Should the floating supply increase unexpectedly, however, the line might
face unpredictable price fluctuations.

The threat derived from subtle, yet decisive, divergences at the peak of the
Manitoba pyramid. As we have seen, George Stephen and Donald Smith were
combining their involvement in the Manitoba with leadership of the Canadian
Pacific project. Here was an idea whose political and nationalistic time had
come; virtually every Canadian public figure stood behind it. It required
mobilizing every dollar that a capital-short Canada could yield. And so
Stephen and Smith had to sell small blocks of 1,000 or so from their Manitoba
holdings (probably about 25,000 shares each), shifting the proceeds into the
Canadian Pacific venture.

Such sales of course depressed the price of Manitoba stock, and this troubled
Hill and Kennedy—though there was little they could do about it, aside from
discussing the issue with Smith and Stephen. The two Americans understood
that their Canadian associates had little choice but to support the Canadian
Pacific. The question was how to avoid the chaos inherent in unpredictable
sales to unknown—and very possibly ill-intentioned—buyers. For the market was
extremely "thin," i.e., sales of relatively small amounts result in highly
volatile prices.

As the leader in financing the Manitoba, Kennedy faced a corollary problem:
how to use such "unreliable" stocks in securing loans? Certainly the bankers
were impressed by the Manitoba's long-term prospects. But it was risky for
them to accept as collateral a stock so unpredictable and wide-ranging in
price as to create difficulty should a loan happen to go bad. Witness Hill's
statement to Kennedy in September 1882 that he was unhappy about the increase
in Manitoba stock to 165 because large blocks were being sold; he preferred
steadier, consistent prices at around 150-55.[1]

The predictable occurred. On 10 October, Kennedy sold 1,100 shares of
Stephen's stock. These-and other-sales pushed Manitoba stock down, with
Kennedy suggesting to Hill in late October that the fluctuations would
continue so long as it was uncertain at what intervals and in what amounts
the Canadians would try to market some of their holdings. And this Stephen
and Smith, driven by the inherently unforeseeable requirements of the
Canadian Pacific's construction crews, did not themselves know. As Kennedy
later wrote, the large Canadian holdings—which might be sold at any
moment—hung over the Manitoba like the sword of Damocles. In effect, events
were in the saddle, and men could only ride.[2]

Inevitably, news of these sales reached the press, and Kennedy complained
that, despite his best efforts, this had a bearish effect on Manitoba stock.
He proposed listing it on the London Stock Exchange: the broader the market,
the less the Manitoba stock would become the plaything of speculators.[3]

Kennedy and Hill were working closely together, buying and selling on joint
account to try to stabilize the Manitoba stock price and thus retain control.
In January 1883, for example, Kennedy decided to cease buying unless the
price declined two or three points. Hill readily deferred to his judgment:
"In regard to the purchase of stock, I can hardly advise you, but ... I am
satisfied to do as you think best, being on the ground and able to judge from
day to day."[4]

Without informing Hill, however, Kennedy had kept this trading secret from
his junior partners in J. S. Kennedy & Co. Such secrecy was hardly unknown in
a business world where partners whose relationship was essentially unequal
often went their own way, and doubtless Kennedy, as the senior, could
rationalize it in terms of the overriding need for security. But his secret
trading might well injure any partner who also was trading in Manitoba.

So Kennedy was embarrassed when Hill inadvertently spilled the beans in a
letter that had been sent to the firm, not to Kennedy personally. The letter
also referred to Kennedy's use of $71,462 of Hill's money in settling a
transaction, Kennedy himself having been short of personal funds at that
time. Kennedy explained matters to Hill in February 1883:

My firm here referred your letter to them of [the] 1st to me. I am sorry you
wrote
them on the subject as I did not want any one here to know that you and I had
been buying Manitoba stock and now I have had to admit and explain to them all
about it so far as the 500 shares referred to in the letter are concerned ...
I had
not the money at the moment to pay my half so I drew the whole amount
[$71,462] from my firm and had it charged to your account. On the 18 January
having plenty of money then on hand I paid up my half of the cost ... My firm
knew nothing about the transaction except that so much money was at one time
drawn from and at another time so much paid in your account.[5]

Kennedy's intense penchant for secrecy had caught him in a web of his own
making.

Throughout 1883, Kennedy and Hill continued to try to stabilize Manitoba
stock, buying or selling as circumstances required. In May, Hill asked
Kennedy to sell all of Hill's stock over 30,000 shares, leaving him with
$3,000,000 at par. The price was left to Kennedy's judgment; Hill later wrote
Kennedy that "you are on the ground and know what you can do."[6]

After a price decline of several months, the latest of a long series of bear
attacks came in July 1883; Kennedy and his associates responded very
aggressively. Initially, Kennedy alone supported the market. But he lacked
the resources to withstand the bears, and so joined in a pool of 40,000
shares that Stephen formed to fight back by buying Manitoba shares; Kennedy
and Hill each contributed one-fifth.

The onslaught continued, nevertheless, and with it, the sharp fluctuations in
Manitoba stock prices that bedevilled Kennedy personally, not least during
his customary European vacation that summer. "I had intended remaining here
for a little while longer," he wrote to Hill in late August from St. Moritz,
"but the advices I have had about the bear raids in New York on the Manitoba
and the Canadian Pacific stocks and the unsettled aspect of affairs generally
have made me feel uneasy so that I cannot derive any pleasure or comfort from
a longer stay over here and will therefore leave ... I hope the bears will
get caught and get such a twisting that they will not have the courage to
attack the stock again."[7]

The pool was the only instrument readily at hand with which to counterattack
speculators. Though a small pool of like-minded men would doubtless hang
together, they might well lack sufficient resources. A larger pool would
indeed have the resources, yet probably would lack the cohesion and sense of
common purpose required for a united front. In pools to defend the Manitoba
and the Canadian Pacific, Kennedy trusted Hill completely, Stephen and Smith
slightly less, and other financiers-who might be tempted by immediate
profit-still less. For example, Kennedy abruptly withdrew from a Manitoba
pool in October 1883, informing Hill that Thomas Pearsall, an investor and
broker for George S. Scott & Co., which was managing the pool, actually had
lent stock to the bears; Kennedy felt betrayed. In another case involving a
pool member, Kennedy was outraged to discover that a good friend of Stephen
and Smith had actually sold 1,400 shares of Manitoba, while buying 2,700
shares of Canadian Pacific.

I am sure you will feel just as I do," Kennedy privately protested to Hill,
"that it is folly ... [for] you and I to be in a pool to protect Manitoba
stock if some of our friends are going either directly or indirectly to
advise or allow their friends to sell out the one in order to buy the other,
and that we had better even at some sacrifice and inconvenience close the
pool."[8] Kennedy was partially mollified when the rules were slightly
changed and the pool was revived.

But he essentially distrusted pooling, wanted to end this particular example,
and informed Hill that Stephen would accept their decision. The pool simply
wasn't successful; it benefited the brokers, who drew commissions, but not
the participants; and Kennedy felt no need for brokers to make decisions that
he could make for himself. In a word, pooling made him "miserable."[9] "The
whole thing," he wrote later, "is an outrage. I was never in such a thing and
I certainly never will be again; it has made my life miserable for I feel
that I am being humbugged and cheated and I cannot and will not endure
it."'[10]

The Manitoba pool was in fact dissolved in mid-November 1883; Kennedy was
pleased. But this dissolution encouraged the bears, whose raids soon drove
the stock down to its par of $100. This in turn spurred purchases by the
solid, permanent investors whom Kennedy and Hill wanted. The constant leakage
of Canadian shares nevertheless remained very worrisome, and, in March 1884,
the price of Manitoba stock slid—unaccountably—to $90. Kennedy soon
discovered that Duncan McIntyre, who had brought the Canadian Central into
the Canadian Pacific, had sold 2,500 of Smith's holdings—and that Kennedy and
Hill could do nothing whatever about it.[11]

The bear raids continued during the stock market panic of May 1884, though
Kennedy did receive limited help from sales by J. Kennedy Tod & Co. to
English and Scots investors.[12]

In October, Kennedy reported to Hill that the bears, having pushed Manitoba
stock below eighty, were bragging that it would soon fall to seventy or even
sixty. Kennedy, though ordinarily quite cool in difficult situations, was
furious at men whom he saw, not as normal, hard-bargaining businessmen, but
as wreckers and destroyers. "I feel like doing something to try and stop such
people from making money out of their neighbors by such methods, and if the
earnings are likely to turn out better than they did in the corresponding
month last year ... to go on and buy stock enough to give the bears a
twist."[13]

The Manitoba had faced a complex situation for at least four years. It was
young and booming, eager to use every dollar to expand, yet without the solid
wealth needed to both continue constructing and also solidify its position.
Kennedy did indeed have wealth, and Hill was putting all his limited funds
into the line, whereas Stephen and Smith were taking money out, rather than
putting it in. How, then, to solve the problem? Kennedy and Hill conceived of
a solution: find an ally, reliable, reasonable and rich. As we shall see,
this brought them to the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, an outpost of Boston
rectitude and sagacity in the Midwestern plains.

The Burlington, a large, exceptionally well-managed line with dispersed
ownership, was operating more than 3,000 miles of track in the early 1880s,
extending from Chicago south to St. Louis and west to Denver. It compared
favorably to the Pennsylvania as the best managed railroad in the country.
Social class, family relationships, and shared backgrounds in the "Athens of
America" contrasted sharply with the managerial elite of most railroads. The
Burlington was dominated by John Murray Forbes and his cousin, Charles
Elliott Perkins, who led a like-minded group of wealthy and prominent
Bostonians. Their traditions were those of international trade, especially
the China trade, in which the enormous distances and the virtual
impossibility of enforcing moral strictures made integrity and mutual trust
absolutely essential. The Bostonians therefore were far less interested in
quick profits than in solid long-term relationships that could bring
consistent yields.

But, like all railroads in that free-wheeling era, the Burlington had to be
prepared to fight for survival against other lines. One strategy involved
alliances with neighbors, if only to ensure preferential treatment for
freight (in those unregulated days) when it entered the neighbor's turf. Such
alliances could be consolidated through purchasing sufficient stock to place
a friendly representative on the board of directors.

The Bostonians also had to contend with another survival issue: of the
several lines battling in the intensely competitive market of the
trans-Mississippi West, which would triumph and which would go under? An
alliance with the Manitoba might give the Burlington an edge in its expansion
to the Twin Cities—and perhaps beyond.

More general considerations also favored an alliance. Experience had taught
railroaders that it was unwise to reach too far, that it was very difficult
to either finance or manage sprawling enterprises; far better to organize
them into divisions, more responsive and accessible to meticulous leadership.
All these calculations, both general and strategic, underlay the inspection
trips which Perkins conducted in 1883 over both the Manitoba and the Northern
Pacific; not surprisingly, he informed Forbes that he favored the Manitoba.
Henry D. Minot, a Forbes grandson, studied both railroads in 1884. So
momentous a potential transaction was being conducted very cautiously.

High-level discussions began in April 1885, when Forbes and Perkins arrived
in St. Paul to further study the Manitoba and start testing the waters with
Hill. He informed Kennedy that he had told Forbes that, "while we had a good
money making, property and were not seeking a customer, I thought any
arrangement that would strengthen our system and be of real benefit to us
would be fairly considered."[14]

Buyer and seller gradually edged closer over the next several months. The
Burlington was interested in expanding from Chicago to the Twin Cities. So it
sought terminal rights at the Manitoba's facilities in St. Paul, as well as
the use of Manitoba trackage from there across the Mississippi into
Minneapolis. Above all, the Burlington, eager to guarantee traffic for its
northern expansion, wanted the Manitoba to direct a specified amount of its
freight via that line to Chicago. There also was the question of the number
of shares that Hill, Kennedy, Stephen and Smith would sell to the Forbes
consortium; the two Canadians were, as we have seen, eager to gain cash for
the ever-expanding needs of the Canadian Pacific. Finally, the Bostonians
wanted Minot to join the Manitoba board of directors and also become a vice
president. Minot, living in St. Paul, would function as an ambassador,
representing the Bostonians, and passing them the latest information from the
Manitoba headquarters.[15]

Word began circulating by summer that Hill was willing to offer $5 million in
Manitoba stock to the Burlington men. Nevertheless, uncertainties remained
regarding what they would do and when: Forbes had at least a dozen
-prospective investors-many of them relatives-to nudge into line.

Kennedy was miffed by the continued uncertainty. He wrote Hill on 1 July to
announce that there was definite information from brokers that the Bostonians
were buying. Yet neither he nor Hill had received a direct offer as yet.[16]

An alliance also had its appeal to Kennedy. To join with the powerful
Burlington offered a way to defend the Manitoba against incursions by the
Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul, and also by the Chicago, Rock Island &
Pacific. Both he perceived as "bent on revenge," as they contested territory
in the Manitoba's backyard, in Iowa and southern Minnesota.[17]

So Kennedy wrote to Hill in July that "it is therefore all the more important
that we make the alliance that now presents itself, and that we make it as
soon as we can ... and then I think our jealous neighbors and especially the
Rock Island and the Milwaukee and St. Paul will be very careful about what
they do for they must know the inevitable consequences should they provoke
conflict."[18]

Kennedy himself was not personally disturbed by the need to offer some of his
25,000 Manitoba shares to the Bostonians; the capital he gained would enable
him to follow his preference of diversifying his holdings. Moreover, the
minority block the Bostonians would obtain sufficed for influence, but not
control. That remained securely in the hands of Hill, Kennedy, Stephen and
Smith.

So Kennedy traveled to Boston that summer of 1885 to close the deal, wiring
Hill that a Forbes emissary had predicted that all would go well, though
Forbes needed time to settle various legal technicalities.[19] Kennedy met
with Albert E. Touzalin of the Burlington, and Henry Lee Higginson of Lee,
Higginson & Co., the Boston private banking firm. He reported to Hill "that
he [Touzalin] and two others of his associates had ... [conferred] with
Forbes who had returned to town with them, and ... that Forbes would not
close until they had ascertained through one of their counsel that the
mortgages of the St. Paul & Pacific had all been properly foreclosed and ...
that 'little Minot' [Henry D. Minot] had suggested this as a matter that
should be looked into ... and when Forbes took a position there was no use
trying to move him from it."[20]

Too many players were involved among the Bostonians for a quick decision,
however, and this in turn meant a leakage of information regarding what
would, after all, be a major boon to the Manitoba. Inevitably, its price
rose, as buyers were attracted. Stephen and Smith had promised to sell to the
Bostonians at par; they could hardly be expected to do so as the price rose
above it. What to do? Hill and Kennedy were forced to intervene to try to
bring the price down by selling, though this would cost them when they
eventually bought the stock back. Conceding all this, Touzalin was apologetic.
 Kennedy impressed on the Bostonians that he and the other associates would
indeed sell their Manitoba stock to them well below par, but only if it were
held for investment. This moral guarantee was, in fact, a corollary to the
ultimate agreement.[21]

That was signed on 3 August 1885. It involved Kennedy on one side, and
Touzalin, Higginson, and Charles A. Whittier, a Higginson partner, on the
other. Railroad securities were marketable at seven to ten times their
earnings. The $5,000,000 the Bostonians now paid certainly was in that range,
though close to its upper end. The purchase occurred in two stages. First,
Kennedy contracted to sell-at below the market price- 12,500 shares owned by
Stephen and Smith. Then, in mid-September, Kennedy sold 7,500 shares from the
joint account held by him and Hill: 4,750 shares from Kennedy's total, and
2,750 from Hill.[22]

This two-stage formula reflected caution and prudence: would the Bostonians
honor their moral commitment to hold, rather than sell, the Manitoba stock?
By consulting the stock transfer books at his disposal, Kennedy learned that
they had indeed been true to their word, and stage two therefore could
proceed.[23]

V   V   V

Kennedy suggested to Hill in October that they sell some Manitoba stock, as a
recently-formed pool apparently had raised the price. With the Manitoba now
firmly controlled by him and Hill, Kennedy felt free to follow his natural
bent toward diversification, fearing the risks of excessive investment in any
one company.[24]

The speculators nevertheless remained interested in the growing and
profitable Manitoba, despite its increased solidity. Furthermore, although
the Canadian Pacific had been completed, there was always the possibility
that Stephen and Smith, preferring to hold less Manitoba and more Canadian
Pacific, might be tempted into selling by an attractive offer. Speculative
success required participation—or at least toleration—by either Kennedy or
Hill.

Witness the action in February 1886 of Thomas Pearsall, who offered either to
buy or option Kennedy's entire holding of some 20,000 shares. Kennedy
refused, capably analyzing the situation for Hill:

Pearsall, in addition to the parties he is working with here, is working with
our friends in Montreal [Stephen and Smith] and that they are ready for any
scheme that will run the stock up. They want to capture either you or me....
If either of us were to sell out entirely, that means resigning our positions
as director and officer of the Road and then we would be chargeable with bad
faith by those who have taken an interest in the property on the faith of our
connection with it.

Kennedy's position was quite clear: "I will be delighted," he concluded, "to
see the day when the speculative element is completely eliminated from the
stock."[25]

Pearsall was not dissuaded, however. In October, he proposed yet another bull
pool to Kennedy. The strategy was simple enough. Kennedy, Hill, Stephen and
Smith were all to hold their stock off the market, thus driving the price up
until they—and certainly the two Canadians-could rake in big profits by
selling. Kennedy was noncommittal, but dismissed this scheme, writing to Hill:

I am not going to tie up my stock in order that a ring of speculators may
safely ... go to work to '"jeremy diddle" the market, get prices up
fictitiously, and then dump out their stock on the innocent public at a good
Profit, and I am sure you are not going to aid or abet any such scheme....
They simply want us to hold the cow while they milk it, and I think we have
both had enough of that sort of thing already. Very possibly Stephen and
Smith are to be in the pool and get their share of the "swag" for tying up
their stock. You and I cannot afford to be ... mixed up with such schemes. I
think we have both established a reputation for fair and honest dealing and
as officers of the Company the stockholders look—and have a right to look—to
us to protect their interests in every respect and how then could we either
by express consent or by silence give aid to such a scheme as Pearsall
proposes? Were we to do so and should it become known, as sooner or later it
probably would, you would find that the credit of the company would soon
stand very different from what it now does.[26]

Though Hill agreed, Stephen and Smith-who no longer were Manitoba directors
or officers-may well have joined in Pearsall's scheme, which was carried out.
The rumor mill. was used to encourage heavy sales to unsophisticated
outsiders. Much to Kennedy's satisfaction, the pool ended by midOctober
1885.[27]

The Manitoba -Burlington alliance took tangible form when the Chicago,
Burlington & Northern opened for traffic in mid-1886. The Northern did indeed
rent the Manitoba's terminals in the Twin Cities, as well as the track
connecting them. Kennedy opposed granting the same privilege to other lines,
anticipating that the Manitoba itself would eventually need the
facilities.[28]

By the decade's end, the Manitoba had emerged unscathed from the speculators'
attacks. Stephen and Smith had ceased to be vital stockholders. In any case,
the Canadian Pacific had been completed, and they no longer felt pressured to
constantly sell their Manitoba stock. The Bostonians were too conservative to
be tempted by the speculators. Finally, the Manitoba's net operating income
stabilized during 1883-89, even as it financed its construction by selling
bonds, rather than capital stock. So the speculators turned to more
attractive targets.

The new relationship with the Bostonians had broad significance. It brought
together two groups who were eventually to coalesce into one, when the
Manitoba/Great Northern bought the Burlington in 1901. And it brought to the
Manitoba's headquarters in St. Paul a new vice president, Henry D. Minot,
"young Minot,"—he was twenty-six, and Forbes' grandson-as both the watchdog
of Bostonian interests and tangible proof to the financial world that the
Manitoba now had direct access to the Boston investment community. Kennedy
soon wrote to Hill that "it is certainly to your interest and mine to have a
good block of our stock amongst such Boston investors as Minot appears to be
associated with." What mattered about Minot was who, not what, he knew.[29]

There was, nevertheless, a certain inherent tension between Minot's loyalty
to his associates in Boston, and his new position as the de facto second vice
president at the Manitoba headquarters in St. Paul and as a member of the
executive committee: tact and sensitivity were required on all sides. Minot,
however, was very eager to make a name for himself. The Manitoba, and
especially the closeness to Hill it afforded, was to be his opportunity.

The key to that opportunity, apparently, was financing. Hill ran the line,
and Minot fully accepted that reality. But Kennedy, at age fifty-five, and
far off in New York, may have seemed vulnerable to this highly ambitious
young man, with his Lee, Higginson connection to the Boston capital market.
Minot even suggested to Hill in November 1885 that Kennedy might, perhaps,
sell much of his Manitoba stock and then resign from the board of directors.
That would, of course, leave the way wide open for Minot himself.

It was not long before Kennedy grew aware of these ambitions. Though he had
dealt with Hill for many years, theirs was a long-distance relationship,
primarily by letter. Minot, however, now stood at Hill's right hand. And
Kennedy was disturbed by various pinpricks from Minot. The latter, for
example, asked for a personal share of the Manitoba stock sold to the
Bostonians. Kennedy believed that Minot's cut should come from those sold to
Lee, Higginson & Co., but he and Hill ultimately decided to each provide
1,000 Manitoba shares for Minot to buy-at par.[30]

Minot went farther in the autumn of 1885 by urging Kennedy to place 5,000
shares with him, at well below market price, to be sold to conservative
Boston investors. Kennedy wanted immediate payment, but Minot refused, and
Kennedy brusquely ended the deal.[31] This skirmish opened a war of
attrition, as Kennedy, accustomed to deference and perhaps worrying that
Minot wanted, eventually, to shunt him aside, found himself bombarded by
selfaggrandizing letters from Minot that bore unsolicited advice and
suggestions. Minot, for example, suggested that, "as a matter of propriety
and prudence," he himself take over Kennedy's task as the agent in
transferring stock. At one level, Minot's proposal was perfectly reasonable;
at another, it was grossly insensitive.[32]

Minot also differed from Kennedy in wanting to bring Lee, Higginson in on a
small-scale transaction by which Hill, Kennedy, D. Willis James, Samuel
Thorne and others bought-in a private venture, unconnected with the
Manitoba-the Mason City & Fort Dodge Railroad in Iowa. Kennedy dismissed as
absurd Minot's contention that using the Boston house as the lead banker
would help deceive the railroad world regarding the true backers of the line.
Kennedy also was disturbed by what he regarded as excessive personal profits
for Minot and Lee, Higginson. This Minot of course denied, insisting that he
could succeed honestly and had no reason "to seek any illegitimate success,"
but Kennedy was not satisfied, and voiced his accusations to
others-—including Hill—in the Manitoba circle.[33]

Thorne intervened as peacemaker, trying to heal a rift that not only might
damage relations with the Boston investors, but even between Hill-who found
Minot useful-and the New York side of the Manitoba: Kennedy, James and Thorne
himself.[34] But Kennedy continued finding fault with Minot, weighing in on
25 February 1886, with a twenty-three page, handwritten letter to Hill
cataloguing Minot's various indiscretions and outright errors and
misjudgments. The financing of the Mason City & Fort Dodge project remained
the principal issue, with Kennedy demonstrating that those supplying the
capital would receive little, while Minot and especially Lee, Higginson—whose
efforts would be marginal—would do very well.[35]

The battle shifted to a new front the following month, that of minutes,
records and information generally. First, Minot and Kennedy battled over
placing Manitoba information in the minutes of the board of directors.
Western railroads invariably had been more secretive than were their older,
more established Eastern brethren, and the Manitoba was no exception.

Kennedy wanted as little as possible on the record: why give anything away to
Stephen and Smith-and the Canadian Pacific? Minot, however, sought to emulate
the Burlington, which was impressing the financial community by publishing
selected corporate records; shouldn't the Manitoba do the same? Although Hill
agreed, and a three-volume draft had been prepared, Kennedy—predictably—was
opposed, even hinting to Hill that Minot had ulterior motives: "For whose
benefit have they [the documents] been prepare,]?"[36]

Other incidents followed, with Minot and Kennedy essentially playing to Hill
as they themselves exchanged criticisms over passing information between the
offices in St. Paul and New York. There was, for example, the question of
timely reporting by Minot to Kennedy on the Manitoba's construction plans in
Montana. Kennedy insisted that he had not been informed; Minot disagreed-and
eventually was proven right. Thereafter, Minot chose to provide Hill with
carbon copies of all correspondence to Kennedy.

After a patronizing letter from Minot in October 1886, Kennedy appealed—angril
y—to Hill: "I desire ... to treat Minot courteously and show all the respect
that is due him, but when he undertakes to write to, and of, his superiors as
he has done ... I think it but proper that your attention should be called to
it, for it is not the first time he has done it, and that he should be
informed by you just what subjects he is at liberty to write about or discuss
with me."[37]

Kennedy may have been particularly touchy because he and Hill had recently
been selling St. Paul & Duluth stock. They had kept Minot in the dark, and he
had played into their hands by recommending its purchase to various
Bostonians. As a further criticism of Minot, Kennedy pounced on the recent
success by the Rock Island line in buying the Des Moines & Fort Dodge
Railroad, which he and Hill themselves had wanted. Minot had failed in
conducting the negotiations, as Kennedy chose to remind Hill.[38]

By late 1886—early 1887, Minot's future was becoming clouded. He had
considered resigning the previous summer, doubting that he was accomplishing
much for himself, for the Manitoba, or for the Boston investors. Kennedy, who
had a history of demolishing younger rivals, insisted confidentially to Hill
in January 1887 that Minot must go—and at once. Hill, who respected and
needed Minot's administrative skills and appreciated the links he provided to
Boston capital, was not so sure: could they wait until June? Kennedy
disagreed and demanded immediate action.[39]

The real question of course was the reaction of the Bostonians to Minot's
departure. Would they back him strongly, moderately, or not at all? For Hill,
this was a vital issue; for James, who was tilting against Minot, it was
significant but not decisive; and for Kennedy, who wanted Minot out no matter
what, it had become entirely irrelevant.

Kennedy played his trump card that summer: a threat to resign. "I supposed
Minot's case had been settled in view of his treatment of me. I will leave
the Company if Minot is re-elected to the board." This threat, or promise,
was successful. Minot resigned that summer as vice president and as a
director. But Hill immediately found a place for him as president of the
Eastern Railway of Minnesota, a Manitoba subsidiary. And Hill showed how
important Minot was for him in 1889, when Hill reconstituted the Manitoba
board-from which Kennedy, James and Thorne had resigned—with both Minot and
his brother, William, Jr., as members. (Minot died in a railroad accident the
following year. )[40]

The Mason City & Fort Dodge Railroad, a critical battle in the Minot-Kennedy
altercation, continued to be troublesome for those involved in its finances.
Barely a hundred miles long, it had some appeal to Hill, first as a coal
carrier between the Iowa coal fields and the Manitoba line, and then, by the
mid-1880s, simply as an unconnected feeder line to the Manitoba. And Hill
brought in Kennedy and a very few others; this was to be a closely-held
enterprise, not the open and more public venture that Minot had envisaged.

The purchase agreement in early 1886 called for Hill, Kennedy and Henry W.
Cannon (a friend of Hill) to subscribe to a bond issue needed to expand and
improve the line. It was hoped that Kennedy's name might help sales abroad.
The line essentially became a joint venture between Kennedy and Hill, with
each owning about forty percent of the stock, while the remainder was split
between five associates.[41]

But the line quickly proved disappointing. Its cost was high, the Iowa coal
fields it was supposed to tap were themselves problematic, and its location
on the extreme southern edge of the Manitoba's territory undercut its role as
a possible feeder line. Many years later, Kennedy was to write, "we have
never received a return of a single dollar, either in interest on the bonds
or dividends on the stock. . . ." But even at the time, Kennedy recognized
these problems: by November 1886, he was urging Hill to find a buyer.[42]

Fully fifteen years passed before this happened, in part because Hill
remained unwilling or unable to grapple with the issue. In April 1887, the
Illinois Central expanded in Iowa. Kennedy hoped that it might be interested
in the Mason City, and volunteered to open negotiations. He found yet another
prospect in the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul, but Hill replied with a
contrary suggestion that they expand the Mason City by building to Omaha.
Nothing came of this, nor of Kennedy's more realistic suggestions; as trial
balloons, they all floated away.

Ten years passed before one came to earth. In July 1898, Kennedy discovered
that A. B. Stickney, the leader of the expanding Chicago Great Western, was
considering building a line between Mason City and Omaha. Had an opportunity
arrived to dispose of the Mason City, whose purchase would cost Stickney less
than building a new line? The Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul was another
potential buyer. Hill, at first mildly interested in selling, then said no.

Kennedy, always eager to liquidate unprofitable investments, was not
dissuaded for long. "James, Thorne, and myself," he wrote Hill, "feel it is
necessary that something be done to protect our interests in the Mason City
road which has been so disappointing from the very first, and if we do not
make some arrangements now that we have an opportunity, we may practically
lose our entire investment." But nothing substantial happened for a full
year; Kennedy was extremely disappointed by Hill's rejection of his
suggestions.[43]

Kennedy nevertheless kept trying. In April 1899, he informed Hill that rumor
had it that the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul was seriously considering
building to Duluth. Would the Milwaukee consider buying the Mason City's
existing line at a price comparable to that of building its own new line?
Kennedy grumbled, "I may say for myself and also for James and Thorne, that
we are most desirous to get out of the investment at any sacrifice. . . ."
Again the result was nil, until 1901, when Hill—at last!—sold the Mason City
& Fort Dodge and the related Webster County Coal Company to the Chicago Great
Western for $1.5 million.[44]

V   V   V

The infusion of reliable, non-speculative capital which the Bostonians
brought to the Manitoba stabilized its financial situation-and shielded it
against speculators—thus freeing it for the great drive into Montana that
followed in the late 1880s. But there was a price. The entrance of newcomers
brought difficulties to what previously had been an exceptionally cohesive
cadre of leaders, men who had shared years of work, worry and mutual support
under very trying circumstances. Kennedy, in what was hardly his finest hour,
responded by forcing Hill to choose between Minot and himself. Predictably,
Hill chose Kennedy, thus restoring the relationship that Minot had threatened.

141-156

--[NOTES]--

1. J. J. Hill to J. S. Kennedy, 15 September 1882; J. S. Kennedy to J. J.
Hill, 30 October 1882, James J. Hill Papers, James Jerome Hill Reference
Library, St. Paul, Minnesota.

2. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, 15, 17 November, 29 December 1883, 9 January
1884, Hill Papers.

3. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, 1, 9, 24 November 1882, Hill Papers.

4. J. J. Hill to J. S. Kennedy, 10 January 1883; J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill,
Personal, 16 January 1883, Hill Papers.

5. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, 5 February 1883, Hill Papers.

6. J. J. Hill to J. S. Kennedy, 4 May, 14 August 1883, Hill Papers.

7. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, St. Moritz, Switzerland, 23 August 1883; J.
W. Sterling to J. J. Hill, 26 July 1883, Hill Papers.

8. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, Private, 10 October 1883, Hill Papers.

9. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, 10 November 1883, Hill Papers.

10. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, 12 November 1883, Hill Papers.

11. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, I March 1884, Hill Papers; "Duncan McIntyre,
Dictionary of Canadian Biography, 12: 635-37.

12. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, 12 May 1884, J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill,
Private, 29 May 1884, Hill Papers.

13. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, I I October 1884, Hill Papers.

14. J. J. Hill to J. S. Kennedy, 21 April 1885, Hill Papers.

15. J. J. Hill to J. S. Kennedy, 29 April, I May 1885; J. J. Hill to H. D.
Minot, 8, 12 June 1885; J. J. Hill to J. S. Kennedy, Personal, 8 June 1885;
H. D. Minot to J. J. Hill, 22 June 1885, Hill Papers.

16. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, Ristigouche, Canada, I July 1885; J. J. Hill
to J. S. Kennedy, 20 June 1885, Hill Papers.

17. J. J. Hill to J. S. Kennedy, 8 June, 13 July 1885; J. S. Kennedy to J. J.
Hill, 3 July 1885, Hill Papers.

18. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, Rye Beach, N.H., 18 July 1885, Hill Papers.

19. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, Boston, 21, 22 July 1885, Hill Papers.

20. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, Boston, Telegram, 22 July 1885; J. S.
Kennedy to J. J. Hill, Rye Beach, N.H. 23 July 1885, Hill Papers.

21. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, Rye Beach, N.H., 23 July 1885, Hill Papers.

22. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, Rye Beach, N.H., 1 August 1885, J. S.
Kennedy to J. J. Hill, Private, 25 August 1885; J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill,
26 August 1885, Hill Papers.

23. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, 18 September 1885, Hill Papers.

24. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, Confidential, 12 October 1885; J. S. Kennedy
to J. J. Hill, 14, 20 October 1885, Hill Papers.

25. J. S. Kennedy to 1. J. Hill, Confidential, I February 1886, Hill Papers.

26. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, 5, 9, October 1886, Hill Papers.

27. J. J. Hill to J. S. Kennedy, Telegram, 11 October 1886; J. J. Hill to J.
S. Kennedy, 11 October 1886, Hill Papers.

28. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, 15 October 1886; J. S. Kennedy to J. J.
Hill, Private, 16 October 1886, Hill Papers.

29. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, 3 September 1885, Hill Papers.

30. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, Private, 25 August 1885, Hill Papers.

31. J. J. Hill to J. S. Kennedy, 23 September 1885; H. D. Minot to J. J.
Hill, 5 November, 5 December 1885, Hill Papers.

32. H. D. Minot to J. S. Kennedy, 22 January 1886, Hill Papers.

33. H. D. Minot to J. Kennedy Tod, 23 January 1886; H. D. Minot to J. S.
Kennedy, 12, 17 February 1886; J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, Private, 16
February 1886; H. D. Minot to J. S. Kennedy, Personal, 19 February 1886; J.
S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, 20 February 1886, Hill Papers.

34. H. D. Minot to J. S. Kennedy, Telegram, 23 February 1886; S. Thorne to J.
J. Hill, 24 February 1886, Hill Papers.

35. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, 25 February 1886, Hill Papers.

36. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, 21 May 1886, Hill Papers.

37. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, Private, 4 October 1886; J. S. Kennedy to J.
J. Hill, 16 April 1886, Hill Papers.

38. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, 12 November 1886, Hill Papers.

39. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, Confidential, 20 January 1887; J. S. Kennedy
to J. J. Hill, 11 February 1887, Hill Papers.

40. D. W. James to J. J. Hill, 17 July 1887; J. J. Hill to J. S. Kennedy, 22,
26 July 1887; J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, 22 July 1887, H. D. Minot to J. J.
Hill, 12 August 1887, Hill Papers; New York Times, 15 November 1890, 1: 5; Bos
ton Transcript, 15 November 1890, 9: 4.

41. Richard S. Prosser, Rails to the North Star (Minneapolis: Dillon Press,
1966), 140; H. Roger Grant, The Corn Belt Route: A History of the Chicago
Great Western Railroad Company (De Kalb: Northern Illinois University Press,
1984), 56, 60; Memorandum of agreement in regard to purchase of securities of
the Mason City & Fort Dodge Railroad Company, 5 January 1886; J. S. Kennedy
to J. J. Hill, 4, 5, 17 February 1886, Hill Papers.

42. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, 22 November 1886, 13 April 1899, Hill Papers.

43. Grant, Corn Belt Route, 58; J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, 17 January 1890,
8 January 1891, 27 July 1898, 13 April 1899, 31 December 1900, Hill Papers.

44. J. S. Kennedy to J. J. Hill, 13 April 1899, Hill Papers; Grant, Corn Belt
Route, 62; E. T. Nichols to W. C. Toomey, 16 March 1901; J. J. Hill to
directors of the Mason City & Fort Dodge, 16 March 1901; W. C. Toomey to E.
T. Nichols, 16 March 1901, Hill Papers.
--[cont]--
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.