wouldn't the forest service have a .gov ending not .us?
----- Original Message -----
From: Dave
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 1999 10:35 PM
Subject: [CTRL] Urgent:KeepRoadsOutofUSForests!

-Caveat Lector-

I hope this gets thru- I've never seen an email address with a / in it.

It is of course, of great interest and importance to do whatever may be done
to return the FOREST SERVICE to the position of guardian of public interest
administering publically owned lands.

It may take quite a bit of doing, since the Forest Service has been engaged
in assisting politically connected persons to PLUNDER public lands for many
years.

A step in the right direction would certainly be an immediate cessation of
any and all road-building into Publically owned U.S. Forest Service
administered lands.

Somehow, the people need to put the same sort of energy expressed at Seattle
WTO into insisting that the Federal Bureacracy administer it's public trust
in the interests of the PUBLIC and NOT in the interest of the few wealthy
and politically connected individuals who seem to wish to reduce every
mountainside into artificially "forested" logging fields.

Dave Hartley
http://www.Asheville-Computer.com/dave

>Subj:   URGENT: TAKE ACTION TO PROTECT WILDERNESS
>Date:   Tuesday, December 14, 1999 12:30:02 PM
>From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>Dear EcoFriendly Friends:
>
>PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO YOUR MAILING LIST TODAY. COMMENT DUE DEC
20th

>Last week, I attended the Forest Service meeting about the Roadless Area
>Initiative proposed by President Clinton. While I would have preferred an
>open forum, the local Forest Service staff was available to answer
>questions.  Here is what I learned.
>
>The amount of logging on private and commercial lands is rapidly
escalating.
>(We can no longer count on these lands to be available to support
wildlife.)

>Roadless area designation is not the same as wilderness.
>
>In 1972, of the 62 million acres inventoried for RARE II,  the agency
>recommended only 15 million for wilderness status.  (Most of this was not
>the habitat needed by wildlife.)
>
>For example, in my area, RARE II roadless areas constitute only 10% of
>Colville National Forest.
>
>Forest roads are one of the major vectors for introducing invasive,
>non-native plants which compete and sometimes decimate the native plant
>communities.
>
>The Forest Service employees like to use the word "manage."  The do not
seem
>to use the word "wilderness" as freely.
>
>The Forest Service has requested public comment by December 20th.  Urge
them
>to protect all roadless areas by prohibiting activities that may affect the
>wilderness eligibility of roadless areas including roadbuilding, logging,
>mining and motorized use.
>
>Also, to include all roadless areas, inventoried and uninventoried and not
>just those greater than 5,000 acres of adjacent to existing designated
>wilderness areas.
>
>Tell them, that Roadless areas should be managed to protect their
wilderness
>character and eligibility for future Wilderness designation.
>
>The United States Forest Service c/o Roadless P.O. Box 221090, Salt Lake
>City, UT  84122 or e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>Remember, the Forest Service serves  the public.  It is not their job to
>define the landscape for us.  As citizens these lands are ours.  How will
we
>protect them for future generations?
>
>Janice Ceridwen
>Colville, WA
>
>(509) 684 - 1829
>
>Janice Ceridwen
>Colville, WA
>[to unsubscribe: send 'unsubscribe ncndiscuss-l' to [EMAIL PROTECTED]]

Janice Ceridwen
Colville, WA

screeds are not allowed. Substance-not soapboxing!  These are sordid matters
frauds is used politically  by different groups with major and minor effects