</A> -Cui Bono?-

Newsmax-January 19, 2000

TWA 800: Government's Position Exposed

Seventh in a NewsMax.com exclusive series of installments based
on James D. Sanders' book "Altered Evidence," exposing the
government's tampering with evidence, cover-up and misleading the
public in the crash of TWA Flight 800.

 The National Transportation Safety Board testimony before
Congress on March 11 changed the public debate. If they could
produce any glue from the plane, it prima facie meant there could
be no residue from the exhaust of a missile inside the Calverton
hangar. In other words, the government’s position was that glue
repels missiles.

 It was a stupid argument that was immediately and
enthusiastically embraced by major media as the truth.

 The senior NTSB scientist at Calverton hangar, Dr. Merritt
Birky, chairman of the Flight 800 Fire and Explosion Group, said
the "brown to reddish-brown-colored material” he sent to NASA for
testing was "consistent with a polychloroprene 3M Scotch-Grip
1357 High Performance contact adhesive.”

 The NTSB then circulated this report among major media, alleging
this was independent proof that my residue was glue — another
easily debunked argument that was instead immediately and
enthusiastically embraced by major media as the truth.

 The NTSB did not connect my residue samples with the samples
sent to NASA. It merely adopted the "glue repels missiles”
hypothesis. Major media, in turn, embraced this buffoonish
hypothesis.

 One phone call to NASA chemist Charles Bassett, the man who
performed the test for Birky, would have exposed the fraudulent
NTSB claim. Bassett’s name and phone number could be found in the
Fire and Explosion Group Report available to all journalists.

 But no one within major media picked up the phone and made a
call to confirm the story being handed out by the NTSB — a story
that, if true, destroyed my credibility. The opposite side of the
argument was if the government was found to be lying, its shrill
denials would be prima facie false, and it would stand convicted
in the court of public opinion, guilty of a cover-up, criminals
under the law.

 As usual, major media filed their stories, exclusively using
government propaganda as fact, with no attempt to fact-check or
balance the story.

 But I did pick up the phone and call Charles Bassett. He then
provided me with an affidavit that said in part: "The tests
performed by me at NASA-KSC on samples Dr. Birky said were from
Rows 17, 19, 24 and 27 of the Flight 800 cabin interior did not
address the issue of the origin of any reddish-orange residue
[James Sanders had tested by West Coast Analytical Services]. The
tests I performed for the NTSB cannot answer such a question."

 In a tape-recorded telephone conversation, Merritt Birky
obliquely confessed having lied in his Fire and Explosion Report
and to the media:

 Question: So Sanders did an elemental analysis and the whole
world was shocked that [he] thought it was a missile fuel. You at
the NTSB went ahead and got what you thought was the same residue
and did an analysis yourself.

 Birky: A different analysis.

 Question: A different analysis, right. And concluded that this
residue was, in fact, not missile residue, it was 3M adhesive.
And I think it would have been good if you did an elemental
analysis, not to prove whether it was adhesive or not, but to
prove if it was the same stuff. To make sure that you and Sanders
had the same stuff. Therefore, when you say the residue is
adhesive, you mean it is the same residue that Sanders is talking
about.

 Birky: No. Because you see the problem is before we even got
that far we knew that 3M had already changed their formula. They
had represented that to us when we tried to get some reference
samples. Well, that’s old material. We haven’t the foggiest
notion what that formula is, nor do we have any of the old
formulation; we don’t know what was used at that time on those
seats. So, in trying to prove that we have the same sample as
Sanders, I’m not sure it gets us very far. Supposing Sanders’
comes out differently?

 Question: Right, right.

 Birky: Then what are you going to say? Well, you’re not going to
put the thing to bed.

 Contrary to sworn testimony before Congress and dozens of leaks
to major media alleging the residue was glue, the truth from
Merritt Birky’s lips exposed the government position. The residue
was not glue. The government never had reason to believe it was
glue.

 The truth is that within days after March 10, 1997, both the
NTSB and FBI came into possession of what remained of the samples
sent to me by Terry Stacey. The FBI and NTSB did not need to go
to the hangar for additional samples. They had them in their
possession. The NTSB sample came from CBS News, and the FBI
sample was seized under subpoena from West Coast Analytical
Services.

 If theirs was an honest investigation, all the NTSB and FBI had
to do was have Charles Bassett at NASA test my samples while
keeping the media and Congress fully informed. Dr. Birky admitted
the NTSB did not take this path because it was afraid the results
would confirm my missile theory and debunk their mechanical
hypothesis.

 One can only be afraid of such results if "mechanical” failure
was predetermined at the highest levels of the United States
government to be responsible for the loss of 230 lives.

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      *Mike Spitzer*     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                         ~~~~~~~~          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

       Shalom, A Salaam Aleikum, and to all, A Good Day.