 ~~~~~~
 Wednesday January 19, 2000

 Flu comes from Outer Space, claim Scientists
 Stuart Millar

 It made the festive season a misery for many and threw NHS policy into
 crisis. But the flu may have worse in store, according to scientists who
 claim to have discovered an alarming explanation for the epidemic - a virus
 from outer space.

   Dismissing as dogma the conventional medical wisdom that flu is a virus
 passed by human contact, the distinguished astrophysicist Sir Fred Hoyle,
 and his colleague at Cardiff university, Chandra Wickramasinghe, warn that
 we may be on the brink of a global epidemic.

  In a report to be published in the journal Current Science, they claim the
 outbreak was caused by dust deposited high in the atmosphere by passing
 comets being forced down to earth by energy generated by cooler patches on
 the sun's surface, known as sunspots.

  They reach the peak of their activity, the maxima, every 11 years,
 coinciding, the scientists say, with all major flu outbreaks since 1761,
 including the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic blamed for 20 million deaths
 worldwide. The latest cycle began to peak in September and the maxima is
 due sometime this year.

 - from:
 The Guardian
 http://www.newsunlimited.co.uk/Distribution/Redirect_Artifact/0,4678,0-12415