</A> -Cui Bono?-

Dave Hartley
http://www.Asheville-Computer.com/dave

-----Original Message-----
From: MichaelP
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2000 5:21 PM

More than 12 hours ago the BBC World Service folk broadcast the Anglican
(Episcopalian) Bishop of Quito stating his support for the peasants  - He
stated the position clearly; I expected to find his words on the BBC's web
pages  and I intended to post them around. But I can't find them!! Instead
of which there's a more bland summary which I attach below.

Those words stated to me that the Ecuador revolution was over because of
U$ intervention, that the indigenous had lost their initiative and would
be going home, that they would invoke Ghandian/ MLK principles of
non-violence in opposition to the renewed Ecuador administration, that the
new President has threatened to eradicate the "snake" of opposition with
all necessary means -that Mr Vargas -the indigenous member of the
now-dissolved Junta -was still in town and would probably be arrested,
and  so on - Oh Yes!! and that the Bishop was using  his BBC interview to
get the truth out.

For the time being this BBC story is the best I can find as a counter to
the usual Mr. Greed spin.

MichaelP

=============
BBC   Sunday, 23 January, 2000, 11:33 GMT

"Mr Vargas has warned that his movement is still alive in the provinces"

Ecuador indians angry at 'betrayal'   ----  Indians head home after
toppling a president

Leaders of the protest movement which overthrew the president of Ecuador
have warned they will fight to oust his successor unless he can solve the
country's economic problems quickly.

Indigenous indians expressed anger and feelings of betrayal that their
uprising has led only to the former vice-president, Gustavo Noboa, being
installed.

The new president has pledged to carry on with the same tough economic
policies which provoked the original unrest.

One indian, Salvador Quishpe, told Reuters news agency: "We don't accept
the presidential succession."

As the indians streamed out of the capital, Quito, heading back to their
mountain villages, their leader, Antonio Vargas, said Mr Noboa had only
been installed after pressure from Washington.

POOR 'BETRAYED'

In an interview with a Mexican news agency, Mr Vargas denounced General
Carlos Mendoza, leader of the three-man council for betraying the
indigenous groups' drive to form a new system of government that would end
widespread corruption and represent the interests of the country's poor.

"Mr Noboa wants to take advantage of our people's fight to keep helping
the same people as always, the corrupt bankers. We will defend our
historic fight," he said.

Mr Vargas warned that although they have disbanded for now, his movement
is still alive in the provinces and ready to intensify its fight for
reform.

The indigenous indian leader was part of the three-man council which took
power briefly before being dissolved in the immediate aftermath of
President Jamil Mahuad's overthrow.

In Washington, a spokesman said the United States supported constitutional
government in Ecuador, and was in close contact with all the relevant
parties.

But one taxi-driver in Quito described the change in the corridors of
power as simply "re-arranging the furniture".

ECONOMIC TURMOIL

"It's made the indians feel like they've achieved something, but nothing
has really changed," he told the BBC's correspondent in Quito, Peter
Greste.

Mr Noboa - who has the backing of the Ecuadorean Congress and the military
leadership - has said he will continue with the former president's
economic policies.

In recent months, Ecuador's recession-plagued economy has shrunk by 7%,
while inflation soared to 40.7%

Mr Mahuad's 'dollarisation' plan announced this month was unpopular with
the indigenous population and workers' unions, which said the scheme would
further impoverish them by increasing prices but keeping salaries low.

DISCUSSIONS WITH THE US

Military chief General Carlos Mendoza, who took a leading role in the
three-man council immediately following the coup, said the decision to
install Mr Noboa was taken after talks with US officials who warned that
Ecuador would lose aid and investment if it did not restore power to the
elected government.

The US, the European Union and almost every Latin nation had condemned any
attempt at imposing a government by non-constitutional means.

Mr Mahuad, who has reportedly been offered asylum in Chile, has given his
support to the new president.

In his surprise television address, he condemned Friday's events as a
"national and international shame", but wished Mr Noboa the best of luck.

"I ask you to give Gustavo Noboa the support you did not give to me," he
said in the broadcast. "The hours ahead for the president will be very
hard... He needs the country's support.''