</A> -Cui Bono?-

>The Labour government's proposal to repeal the anti-gay "Section 28" of the
>Local Government Act has triggered a noisy, homophobic campaign by the
>Conservative Party and Christian right.

c'mon guys, there isn't a christian right in the uk

its a nice bit of observation to note that it may have been intended to
catch out the commies etc ... but ...

you miss the point entirely here.

The campaign to halt the repeal is not really about suppressing gay values -
simply stated the law as it stands is sufficient to halt prejudice and
bigotry against gender minorities at this time without any change.
repeal of section 28 however will simply give a loud and vocal minority the
opportunity to impose their minority agenda on a sensitive and confused
agegroup largely comprised of a majority who would probably appreciate the
freedom to discover their own sexual identity apart from the aggressive
caricatures of heterosexuality that appear in soaps and magazines.
The law is fine as it is for everyone.

This is one case where the establishment has it exactly right -
remove clause 28 and we could be tampering with the seventh seal in the uk
[imo]

Andrew