</A> -Cui Bono?-

> Hristov believes the head is the first hard evidence of pre-Hispanic
> transoceaniccontacts between the Old and New Worlds.

Actually, it's not.  A few years ago, some researchers of ancient Egyptian
mummies found evidence of tobacco and coca in the tissues they analyzed...
which points to 'Old World' contact with the 'New World' a good thousand or
so years before the Romans....not to mention that the ancient Egyptians had
obviously not learned to 'just say no'...  ;-)

> There is also no evidence of ancient cultures from Europe or
> elsewhere making a significant mark on pre-Columbian cultures.

Hmmm....the number of pyramids one finds in pre-Columbian cultures sort of
disputes that statement...not to mention the number of pre-Columbian legends
of their own ancient history, telling of a time of interaction with a white
race that arrived in boats from the east....

Back in the 70s, either National Geographic or Smithsonian magazine (I
subscribed to both at the time, so I'm not sure which it was) had an article
on the huge stone blocks which are underwater just off Bimini...the infamous
"Bimini Road" which some people feel validates Edgar Cayce, as they first
'arose' (or at least, became generally visible) in 1967, which was the year
Cayce had predicted that Atlantis would start rising from the sea...

The article concluded that these blocks actually are the remnants of an
ancient harbor wall, most likely built by the ancient Phoenecians (a
conclusion
drawn based on the construction technique)...I thought it was interesting
that
a mainstream magazine would have an article like that.  It wasn't
speculating
that Phoenecians built the wall, it presented evidence to show how the
researchers came to that conclusion, and included drawings of the recreation
of
the harbor and town as it would have appeared at the time it was built.

So that kind of sets aside the statement that no ancient cultures had
significant
dealings with pre-Columbian peoples...

June