</A> -Cui Bono?-

Apparently in some instances the Border Patrol has defined "reasonable
distance from the border"  to be within 100 miles!

FAIR USE - For Educational or Research Purposes Only

>THE SAN DIEGO UNION TRIBUNE SUNDAY, JANUARY 16, 2000
>Citizens vent frustration with Border Patrol
>East County residents say rights are usurped
>By Cheryl Clark
>STAFF WRITER
>
>PINE VALLEY - About 70 East County residents yesterday expressed outrage
over how they say the U.S. Border Patrol is
>running roughshod on their civil liberties.
>
>Border Patrol agents, the residents said during an emotional two hour
meeting, have shot two of Jack Driscoll's heifers, parked
>and locked patrol cars in driveways making Vance Chapman late for work,
frequently delayed motorists at the Interstate 8
>checkpoint, and used rude and crude language when responding to questions.
>
>"They think they're above the law, and they're not," Chapman said.
"Frankly, I'd rather have the Mexicans."

>Added resident Michele Perez: "Now it's us against them. The Mexicans are
beside the point."

>Residents said that agents chasing illegal immigrants throughout the night
often run or drive through their property, cutting
>fences and unlocking gates that allow their livestock to get out. Noisy
helicopters flying overhead with lights shining down wake
>them, residents said.
>
>Border Patrol spokesman Roy Villareal acknowledged some misunderstandings
and problems, but denied that agents killed
>livestock. A meeting last month in Supervisor Diainne Jacob's office
brought the sides together to talk, and Villareal said the
>agency has taken steps to improve.
>
>Another agency spokesman, Rob Smith, said Friday that agents "weren't
invited to the meeting, so we're not going to crash the
>party." Smith said he assumed that residents wanted some time to "air
concerns but didn't want to do it in front of us."

>The Border Patrol is distributing brochures and holding classes to help
residents understand the agency's legal authority and
>policies.
>
>But that is part of the problem, residents say.
>
>They say agents are cavalier and aggressive in enforcing a long-standing
federal statute residents think usurps their rights.

>Title 8, Section 1357 dealing with aliens and nationality allows Border
Patrol personnel to "board and search... any
>conveyance, or vehicle, and within a distance of 25 miles from any such
external boundary, to have access to private
>lands, but not dwellings, for the purpose of patrolling the border to
prevent the illegal entry of aliens into the United
>States."
>
>And, the agents can do so without a warrant or a knock, Smith said.
>
>Yesterday's meeting was led by a panel of immigration activists, including
Roberto Martinez of the American Friends Service
>Committee; Norberto Cisneros, an immigration attorney in private practice;
Vincent Brunkow of Federal Defenders of San
>Diego; and Michael Huspek, a California State University San Marcos
professor of communications who is writing a book
>about the border.
>
>Cisneros said that when he first heard of the statute, "I couldn't believe
it," adding that he could find no attempts to challenge it.

>"If (the Border Patrol's power) is reasonable and necessary, that's
something that could be tested in court," he said.

>The panel urged residents to write letters to elected officials and to
document every incident.

>Not all residents in attendance were angry. Campo/Mountain Empire Kiwanis
Club president Bob Hays said his group
>"supports the Border Patrol 100 percent." While some of the Border Patrol
actions may not be the most desirable, Hays said
>the alternative would be worse.
>
>Five years ago, Border Patrol agents were a welcome sight in these rural
hills. The 50 or so agents generally were well-known
>and often friends, the residents said. Their uniforms represented a
protection against the increasing illegal immigration.

>All that drastically changed in 1994 with Operation Gatekeeper, which
stepped up efforts to stop immigration at the Imperial
>Beach-Tijuana crossings.
>
>The migration moved east, with far more undocumented immigrants entering
through the Campo, Manzanita and Tierra del Sol
>hills than ever before.
>
>Now instead of 50 agents operating out of the Campo office, there are 360,
and the once-peaceful coexistence has eroded.

>The residents' emotions were raised even higher yesterday when just as
they gathered in the auditorium of Mountain Empire
>High School they learned that one of the meeting's organizers, Yvonne
Reese, had been detained by agents while on her way
>to the meeting. An agent allegedly was bitten by her dog while he was
chasing immigrants on her property.

>Reese said she was detained for more than two hours, just until the
meeting was over. She said she never saw the dog bite the
>agent.
>
>Villareal acknowledged that Reese was detained and her dog was impounded
for rabies testing.

>"It doesn't appear that either the agents or Yvonne Reese provoked the
dog's attack," Villareal said.