 Waiting for the Man
Harry Shapiro©1999
Helter Skelter Publishing
London
ISBN 1-900924-08-0
252 pps. -- 2nd Edition – In-print
First Published 1988 by Quartet Books
-----
--In New York there were 1,300 licensed clubs and speakeasies, while Chicago
boasted 24,000 night spots in 1926. Trumpeter Rex Stewart said musicians
never had it so good in the twenties: 'You could get fired at I I p.m. and by
midnight be sitting on another bandstand blowing.'[9]

As most of the gangsters were immigrants, they felt an affinity both with the
struggling white musicians from their own cultural groups and with the black
musicians from the South. They were largely intolerant of racism and more
than one offensive patron found his tyres slashed when he got back to his
car. There was also an age affiliation; in 1925 Legs Diamond, Lucky Luciano,
Louis Lepke, Vito Genovese, At Capone, Carlo Gambino and Meyer Lansky were
all under thirty.--

----

3
LIGHT UP AND BE SOMEBODY —
    MEZZ AND MARIJUANA

I's gwina save all my nickels and dimes/To buy me a Mary Jane
--'High Sheriff Blues'

For the cats and kittens of the Jazz Age, marijuana was kicks, climbs,
jollies and high times jumpin' to the beat of a hot horn or a mean licorice
stick.
--Albert Goldman

My ... memories will always be lots of beauty and warmth from gage. Well,
that was my life and I don't feel ashamed at all. Mary Warner, honey, you
sure was good ...
--Louis Armstrong

Once the war in Europe was over and the boys were home. America experienced a
period of spiritual emptiness. The new religion was materialism,
accumulation, the worship of everything new and big. And as in the 1960s, the
affluence and conspicuous consumption of the 1920s brought a reaction among a
section of the younger generation who could afford the luxury of being
unorthodox. They sought escape in anti-establishment music, sexual pleasure,
alternative lifestyles and 'other worldliness'.

For the flappers 'other worldliness' meant a craze for ouija boards, rather
than Eastern mysticism. And instead of 'back-to-nature' communes, the
adolescents of sixty years ago turned to the 'loose passion' and vitality of
black culture. The idealism of an earlier age gave way to realism: all the
straight world had to offer was disillusionment and stagnation; the past had
been blown up in the trenches and the future held nothing but the dubious
promise of 'progress'. Black culture seemed to offer honesty, spontaneity and
even a new spiritual meaning to two groups in particular: affluent people
looking for excitement where the rules and pretensions of polite society did
not apply; and Jewish immigrant groups sympathetic to the problems of
minority status.

Contrary to the expectations of-the temperance movement, Prohibition
encouraged the well-to-do to 'take a walk on the wild side'. Cafe, cabarets
and restaurants had been a feature of urban nightlife for decades, but the
speakeasies and basement dives selling illicit booze to the strains of jazz
added a new dimension to the thrill of 'steppin' out down market'. Milton
Mezzrow, jazz clarinet player and focal point of this chapter, summed up this
situation in his autobiography Really the Blues, published in 1946:

'It struck me as funny how the top and bottom crusts in society were always
getting together during the Prohibition era. In this swanky club which was
run by members of the notorious Purple Gang, Detroit's bluebloods used to
congregate — the Grosse Point mob on the slumming kick, rubbing elbows with
Louis the Wop's mob. That Purple Gang was a hard lot of guys ... and
Detroit's snooty set used to feel it was really living to talk to them
hoodlums.[1]

Among the young whites (often Jewish or Italian) in revolt against
traditional values, the most rebellious were jazz musicians. Jazz had emerged
as the urban voice of black culture, essentially a protest music in which
blacks played out their daily experiences. This found favour with white kids
seeking a vehicle for their own thrash against society, a music guaranteed to
shock the squares, as rock 'n' roll did in the mid-fifties. One musician in
particular epitomised the religious zeal that alienated whites felt for black
lifestyles. He was white, he was Jewish, and he became the archetypal hip
musician of the Jazz Age, the first White Negro.

Milton 'Mezz' Mezzrow was born 'on a wintery night' in 1899 to a respectable
middle-class Jewish family on Chicago's Northwest Side. As a kid, he spent
much of his time on the streets, getting into trouble, fighting, petty
thieving and hanging around poolrooms. Throughout his early life he had an
unfortunate knack of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. At sixteen,
he was caught riding in a stolen car and sent to Pontiac Reformatory. 'During
those months I got me a good solid dose of the coloured man's gift for
keeping the life and spirit in him while he tells his troubles in music.' [2]

Inside Pontiac, Mezzrow met his first black musicians: Yellow, a cornet
player, and an alto saxophonist called King. Race riots inside the prison
(and later Chicago's fourday city-wide race riot in 1919), gave him a taste
of Jim Crow, although on the streets of Chicago he'd bloodied himself often
enough against shouts of 'Kike'. By the time he was released, Mezzrow had his
life plan sorted out: 'I knew that I was to spend all my time from then on
sticking close to Negroes. They were my kind of people. And I was going to
learn their music and play it for the rest of my days.'[3]

The Great Migration of blacks from the South to the North saw Chicago's black
population increase by 150% in the years 19 10 to 1920, the largest influx
coming after 1916, with the promise of high post-war wages. Blacks settled on
the South Side of Chicago in such numbers that it became a city within a
city, independent of the mainstream of Chicago life.

Along with tens of thousands of blacks looking for routine day jobs came
musicians
 from New Orleans. 'Cook's Tour' histories of jazz set out an-over-simplified
itinerary for the spread of jazz through America. The linear journey from New
Orleans to Kansas City, Chicago and New York, prompted by the closing down in
1917 of black Storyville, New Orleans' red light district, ignores in Kenneth
Allsop's words all the 'jazz, semi-jazz, near jazz and tributary jazz' heard
throughout the South and Middle West. Brass-band music, ragtime, tent-show
music, vaudeville, church music and a host of related localized musical
idioms fed into the genre. Nevertheless New Orleans represented the best the
new music had to offer and gave to jazz its sleazy reputation.

The New Orleans spirit was one of permissiveness and non- interference, very
much a musician's creed. From its earliest days a city of low life, thieving,
gambling and above all prostitution, New Orleans 'tolerated with impartiality
small-time hustlers and high crimes, self-serving royal governors and
fifty-cent whores'.[4] In a town of corruption and easy money, the
establishments that thrived were bordellos, gambling joints, saloons,
cabarets and dance halls. The customers needed entertaining, so music was a
growth industry, although there were few professional musicians. In fact
music was a subsidiary of the gambling business: 'The hustlers gamblers and
racetrack followers were often hard-working musicians in their off-season or
when their luck boned down and they needed a little ready cash.'[5] They also
used drugs in a big way and naturally, before 1914, everything was there for
the asking. But by the time war came, drugs were illegal and the Navy,
worried about the moral well-being of young sailors, had Storyville closed
down.

In fact the exodus of jazz musicians from New Orleans began much earlier.
Mezz Mezzrow's cars were first turned by the Original Creole Jazz Band, who
had been drawing in the crowds at Chicago's Big Grand Theatre and the North
American Restaurant since 1913. Their star players included Sidney Bechet,
Freddie Keppard, drummer Tubby Hall and pianist Lil Hardin, who later married
Louis Armstrong. Initially, the Chicago Musicians' Union had made it hard for
Southern jazzmen like Jelly Roll Morton, Keppard, Bechet, Jimmy Moore and
Nick La Rocca to find regular work, but resistance crumbled in the face of an
avalanche of public demand. Chicago jazz really started cooking when Joe
'King' Oliver, a superstar cornettist from New Orleans, arrived in 1918. He
formed his own band in 1920, sent for Louis Armstrong, and drew a crowd of
open-mouthed white kids like Mezzrow, Eddie Condon, Bix Beiderbecke, Dave
Tough, Pee Wee Russell, Jimmy McPartland and Frank Teschemacher, who together
pioneered the Chicago style.

Mezzrow was hooked by Bechet's soprano sax. sound, rushed out and bought one,
together with some sheet music, and declared himself to be a musician,
spending every spare minute learning or listening to jazz.[6] On his
twenty-second birthday,  11 December 1923, he became a fully paid-up member
of the Local Tenth of the Chicago Federation of Musicians.

I got to be part of the fixtures at the Pekin and a lot of other South Side
spots. Making friends with Jimmie Noone, Sidney Bechet, Joe Oliver and
Clarence Williams, I began to feel like I owned the South Side ... Anytime I
breezed down the street, cats would flash me friendly grins and hands would
wave at me from all sides ... I was really living then.[7]

One of the earliest white bands to copy Joe Oliver's style was the New
Orleans Rhythm Kings. The clarinet player was 'a little hyped-up Italian guy
with pop eyes' named Leon Rappolo:

One night during intermission at the Friars Inn, Rapp took me into his
dressing room, where he felt around on the moulding and came up with a
cigarette made out of brown wheatstraw paper ... He sounded more like he was
sighing than smoking ... After a lungful he closed his lips tight and held it
until he was about choked and had to cough ... 'Ever smoke any muggles?' he
asked me. Man. this is some golden leaf I brought up from New Orleans. It'll
make you feel good. Take a puff.' The minute he said that, dope hit my mind
and I got scared — working in my uncle's drugstore had made me know that
messing with dope was a one-way ticket to the graveyard. I told him I didn't
smoke and let it go at that, because I looked up to him so much as a
musician.[8]

In the early twenties, marijuana, muggles, muta, gage, tea, reefer, grifa,
Mary Warner, Mary Jane or rosa maria was known almost exclusively to
musicians. Hemp had been grown in the States since the oldest days of white
settlement, as a valuable cash crop for clothes and rope making — so
valuable, that the state of Virginia fined farmers for owning it. The plant
grew wild in many regions, including along the banks of the Mississippi, but
apart from the odd literary figure who picked up on the hashish experiences
of French artists like Baudelaire, Gautier and Rimbaud. nobody knew of
marijuana's other properties until the Mexican Revolution of 1910.

Marijuana smoking was commonplace in Mexico. The revolution sent thousands of
Mexicans streaming over the border with the weed stashed in their packs.
Smoking among Americans was initially confined to black soldiers living in
garrison border towns like El Paso. Almost inevitably, marijuana found its
way along the coast to New Orleans, a bustling sea port where sailors coming
from the West Indies and Africa were the other major importers of the drug
into America.

The story of marijuana in America was a rerun of Chinese opium smoking and
the alleged over-use of cocaine by blacks. Marijuana was branded as an
'alien' drug (nobody made the connection with hemp) taken by a naturally
excitable, volatile minority group (Mexicans), who turned nasty under its
influence. Wherever Mexicans lived in any number, there were local ordinances
against marijuana smoking. By 1933 seventeen states had banned the drug, but
it was not regarded as a sufficient national problem to warrant its inclusion
in the legislation of 1914 nor had the press latched on to it yet.

Organised crime was not a product of the Prohibition years between 1919 and
1933, nor was it always synonymous with the Mafia. Irish and American gangs
had been operating in New York, Chicago and San Francisco for most of the
nineteenth century. Southern Italian immigrants came to America after the
civil war, but only in the 1890s did Sicilian gangsters begin to make their
presence known on the New York waterfront. Jewish gangsters were also well
represented in the underworld and the likes of Arnold Rothstein and Meyer
Lansky ranked in notoriety with the top Mafia personalities.

Nevertheless Prohibition did secure the ascendancy of the Mafia in the
underground hierarchy and allowed the organisation of an enormously
profitable service industry, providing the nation with limitless quantities
of illegal booze. The mob raked in millions of dollars during Prohibition and
used the proceeds to fund every conceivable type of 'personal service':
prostitution, gambling, loan-sharking, protection rackets and the supply of
illegal drugs on a scale never before known, aided and abetted by corrupt
politicians and policemen. It was Arnold Rothstein who during these years
developed a new angle to mob operations: the 'laundering' and investment of
money earned from the proceeds of crime into legitimate business. The Mafia
made a major incursion into the entertainment business and, ironically much
to the benefit of jazz, gangsters dominated the clubs, cabarets, dives and
bars in many American cities. Indeed, if black musicians had needed to rely
on legitimate ballrooms, theatres and restaurants for work, the story of jazz
would have been very different.

The gangsters provided endless opportunities for musicians to play. John
Hammond of CBS reckoned that three quarters of all the jazz clubs and
cabarets were mobcontrolled. In New York there were 1,300 licensed clubs and
speakeasies, while Chicago boasted 24,000 night spots in 1926. Trumpeter Rex
Stewart said musicians never had it so good in the twenties: 'You could get
fired at I I p.m. and by midnight be sitting on another bandstand blowing.'[9]

As most of the gangsters were immigrants, they felt an affinity both with the
struggling white musicians from their own cultural groups and with the black
musicians from the South. They were largely intolerant of racism and more
than one offensive patron found his tyres slashed when he got back to his
car. There was also an age affiliation; in 1925 Legs Diamond, Lucky Luciano,
Louis Lepke, Vito Genovese, At Capone, Carlo Gambino and Meyer Lansky were
all under thirty. To musicians they liked they were generous. Earl Hines
recalled 'Scarface (Capone) got along well with musicians. He liked to come
into a club with his henchmen and have the band play his requests. He was
very free with his $100 tips."[10] When the mob moved in, no expense was
spared. Louis Armstrong had a long residency in Chicago's Sunset Cafe; long
residencies enabled bands to develop a style and make progress. When the
Fletcher Henderson Orchestra from New York were booked to appear in 1927, the
Sunset Cafe was redesigned to accommodate them. The mob owned the Lincoln
Gardens, home of King Oliver, and Charlie's, whose main attraction was the
Bud Freeman/Dave Tough Quintet. Like many establishments during Prohibition,
Charlie's looked like a bomb ruin from the outside, so as not to attract
roving Federal agents looking for booze, but inside was a sumptuously
furnished, highly exclusive restaurant. The biggest nightspot owner in New
York was Owney 'The Killer' Madden and the jewel in his crown was the Cotton
Club. Sonny Greer, the house drummer, was given $3,000 worth of drums. Rival
club owners fared less well. The owners of the Plantation Club, set up in
Harlem in competition with the Cotton Club, were found dead and the club
smashed to bits, two days after it opened — retribution for enticing away Cab
Calloway and his Orchestra.

Musicians were allowed loans without crippling interest rates, given
investment advice, access to drugs and a free rein for their own sidelines.
Jelly Roll Morton sold drugs and ran prostitutes, while Duke Ellington was
offered a piece of major bootlegging action in New York.

So what were the rules of the game? Basically, you kept quiet, kept playing,
kept straight, did what you were told and didn't ask questions. The
environment was tough, nerves were stretched to breaking point, physical
injury was not uncommon. Muggsy Spanier saw two men shot dead in front of
him, but had to carry on playing. Comedian Joe Lewis survived having his
throat cut when he transferred from one gangcontrolled North Side club to
another. Pianist Pinetop Smith was shot dead on the stand and Bix
Beiderbecke, the first of many music superstars to live fast and die young,
died from pneumonia brought on by excess of bootleg gin.

Even the famous had to watch their backs: when Louis Armstrong changed
managers, he had day-and-night bodyguards for months. It has been suggested
that the careers of Fletcher Henderson and Joe Oliver went into steep decline
after they fell out of favour with the mob. Oliver finished up as a janitor
in a Savannah poolroom. Mezz Mezzrow once took his life in his hands with At
Capone. Told by Capone to sack his singer at the Capone-owned Arrowhead, Mezz
screamed back, 'Can't sing? ... Why, you couldn't even tell good whisky if
you smelled it and that's your racket, so how do you figure to tell me about
music?' Luckily Capone just burst out laughing. 'Listen to the Professor! The
kid's got plenty of guts.'[11]

Mezzrow established himself running his own band, first at Capone's
Arrowhead, then the Roadhouse and then the Martinique Inn, Indiana Harbour,
all in the Chicago area. The Martinique was run by Monkey Pollack, a Jewish
club owner who spoke Yiddish with a Texan drawl and fancied himself as a
gunslinger. It was here that Mezz, albeit reluctantly, first smoked some New
Orleans sweet leaf:

After I finished the weed, I went back to the bandstand. Everything seemed
normal and I began to play as usual. I passed a stick of gage around for the
other boys to smoke and we started a set. The first thing I noticed was that
I began to hear my saxophone as though it was inside my head, but I couldn't
hear much of the band in back of me, although I knew they were there. All the
other instruments sounded like they were way off in the distance; I got the
same sensation you'd get if you stuffed your ears with cotton and talked out
loud. Then I began to feel the vibrations of the reed much more pronounced
against my lips and my head buzzed like a loudspeaker I found I was slurring
much better and putting just the right feeling into my phrases. I was really
coming on. All the notes came easing out of my horn like they'd already been
made up, greased and stuffed into the bell, so all I had to do was blow a
little and send them on their way, one right after the other, never missing,
never behind time, all without an ounce of effort. The phrases seemed to have
more continuity to them and I was sticking to the theme without ever going
tangent. I felt I could go on playing for years without running out of ideas
and energy. There wasn't any struggle; it was all made to order and suddenly
there wasn't a sour note or a discord in the world that could bother me. [12]

Given Mezz's initial reluctance to smoke marijuana, it would have been no
surprise if his first experience had been a bad one: expectations of a drug
experience play a large part in how the experience actually evolves. But even
allowing for Mezzrow's tendency to exaggerate (a further two pages of purple
prose follow), his first taste of marijuana was obviously intensely
pleasurable and convinced him that he played better for it.

Mezzrow's experience wasn't unique; it was widely felt among the jazz
community that marijuana helped the creation of jazz by removing inhibitions
and providing stimulation and confidence. Hoagy Carmichael described the
influence of marijuana and gin while listening to another aficionado of the
Holy Smoke, Louis Armstrong: 'Then the muggles took effect and my body got
light. Every note Louis hit was perfection. I ran to the piano and took the
place of Louis' wife. They swung into "Royal Garden Blues". I had never heard
the tune before, but somehow I couldn't miss. I was floating in a strange
deep blue whirlpool of jazz.'[13]

Mezz was an instant convert and quickly established a reputation for having
the best weed around. In 1925, now based in Detroit, he found the local stuff
decidedly second-class. 'A couple of times I had to make a trip back to Chi
[cago] to pick up a fresh supply from my connection. a little Mexican named
Pasquale. Chicago was home for high-class dope because thousands of Mexicans
arrived in the twenties looking for work and traded it to supplement their
meagre incomes. In those days we used to get a Prince Albert tobacco can full
of marijuana ... for two dollars. The grefa they pushed around Detroit was
like the scrapings off old wooden bridges compared with the golden leaf being
peddled in Chicago.'[14]

The marijuana musicians soon formed a clique, sharing the experiences of the
drug, writing songs about it, looking down on musicians who drank and the
music they made (excepting Bix Beiderbecke, whom they worshipped): 'Their
tones became hard and evil, not natural, soft and soulful, and anything that
messed up the music instead of sending it on its way, was out with us.'[15]

Not everyone agreed with Mezzrow's view of the role of the marijuana in
producing good music. John Hammond maintained that dope 'played hell with
time' and Artie Shaw's view was that during the twenties and thirties, a lot
of good jazz went down in spite of marijuana rather than because of it. The
validity of either viewpoint is questionable; certainly nobody has proved
that anyone actually plays better when stoned — the relaxation of inhibitions
might push musicians to go for things they might not otherwise try, but if
they are too stoned they won't make it and everything will collapse. On the
other hand many musicians resent being linked with drugs and like Artie Shaw
might play down or deny any possible advantages that might accrue from them.

While the musicians in Detroit used marijuana, the gangsters and (according
to Mezzrow) most of the rest of the city had a yen for something more
oriental. Despite the general legality of marijuana, as opposed to the total
prohibition of opiate drugs, jazzmen got drawn into the illegal camp
primarily because they relied on the largesse of the gangsters for continued
employment. When a psychotic throwback who is paying your wages laughs at
your joint and suggests you try something stronger, how can you 'just say
no?' Mezz said 'yes' and from that first time, he liked it.

Moving back to Chicago in 1926, Mezzrow met a bunch of talented white
musicians who first played together as a high-school jazz outfit called the
Austin Blue Friars, eventually becoming Chicago's star white musicians —
Jimmy McPartland (cornet and alto sax), Bud Freeman (tenor sax), Charlie
Watts' hero Dave Tough (drums) and Frank Teschemacher (alto sax and
clarinet), whom Mezz saved from alcoholism by turning him on to marijuana.

Playing up a storm and getting high with the renamed Austin High School Gang,
the years 1926 to 1929 were good for Mezzrow. Then Depression signalled the
end of an era on which the curtain finally dropped when Prohibition collapsed
in 1933. The love affair with New Orleans jazz and the heyday of Chicago jazz
were over; many musicians, including the Austin High Gang, headed for New
York, the new jazz town. Mezz however stayed in Chicago vainly trying to keep
the purist jazz flame alight, scuffling around the town to make a living for
himself, his wife Bonnie (whom he married in 1925) and his stepson.
Eventually the pull of New York was too strong.

One night, on impulse and wired up on cocaine to stay awake he drove there
with a friend. On arrival he phoned the hotel where he knew the gang were
staying. 'The first voice on the line was Eddie Condon. "Hey, Roll, where are
you?" The next voice was Frank Teschemacher, "Hey Milton, did you bring any
mula?" Then I knew I was home again, back among my own people. Solid...’[16]

All accounts of Milton Mezzrow give the impression of a life centred around
joyful jazz and marijuana highs. But although he was never specific about
them, he had a number of psychological and emotional problems. New York let
him down (he couldn't find regular work) and in 1929 he fled to Paris to stay
with Dave Tough, who found French audiences more appreciative and
enthusiastic. He was trying to buy time, recovering from what appears to have
been a nervous breakdown. But things were no better when he got back: the
only work he could get was in dismal strip joints, watching leering white
businessmen ogle at bored women. Depression got to him again and he resolved
to move as close as he could persuade his wife to Harlem, for him the
Promised Land. 'My education was completed on The Stroll (a famous Harlem
street) and I became a Negro.' [17]

Mezzrow did not actually introduce marijuana into Harlem but the local stuff
was poor quality and he still had access to the best Mexican grass. This was
to be Mezz's calling card, his way into a community where he desperately
wanted to be accepted. As a musician he was limited and could not hope to
compete with black musicians, but as a marijuana dealer, he earned respect.
Very soon the word got around and everyone wanted Mezz to light them up. He
became a local hero. an overnight sensation. Like Biro or Hoover, 'Mezzrow'
became a ubiquitous name, in this case for a quality reefer, fat and
well-packed. Two dictionaries of jive defined the word Mezz as 'genuine',
'sincere' and 'anything supreme'.

Jive was a secret black language, a code with its roots in the plantation
life of the South, allowing criticism or ridicule of master or mistress
without fear of retribution. The word 'jive' itself appears to have African
origins. A variety of African tribes and cultures were herded together on the
plantations, 'but the Wolof seem to have played a particularly important and
perhaps culturally dominant role in the early slave culture of the Southern
United States'. [18] The linguist David Dalby has made some interesting
comparisons between Wolof language and American slang closely associated with
music:

Wolof       Slang
Jev — to talk disparagingly     Jive
Hipi — a person who has opened his eyes Hip
Degga — to understand       Dig

The linguistic connection between Hipi and Hip was later extended to hippy
whose lifestyle is often characterised by the psychedelic search for the
inner self, using drugs as a means to achieve self-awareness. The language of
drug subculture also fed into black jazz culture; 'hip' has been associated
with the opium smoker's habit of lying on his hip in the opium den.

Jive talking among Harlem blacks was impenetrable to those not in the know.
Two blacks might have been discussing how to kill the President, and a posse
of policeman standing by would have been none the wiser. Whereas Southern
plantation code was born out of fear, Northern city jive talk came from a
sense of hope and spirit. Dan Burley, editor of Harlem's Amsterdam News, calle
d it 'the poetry of the proletariat' and Mezzrow described it as 'jammed with
a fine sense of ridiculous that had behind it some solid social criticism ...
a whole new attitude to life.' Except for the honoured few, blacks kept
whites out with jive. And as if the language itself wasn't obscure enough,
prices and times were often doubled to add confusion. Mezz provides an
example of jive and thoughtfully a translation to go with it:

I'm standing under the Tree of Hope, pushing my gage. The vipers come up, one
by one.

First Cat:  Hey there Poppa Mezz, is you anywhere?
Me: Man I'm down with it, stickin' like a honky.
First Cat:  Lay a trey on me, ole man.
Me: Got to do it, slot. [Pointing to a man standing in front of
    Big John ~ ginmill]: Gun the snatcher on your left raise —
    the head mixer laid a bundle his ways he's posin' back like
    crime sure pays.
First Cat:  Father grab him, I ain't payin' him no rabbit, Jim, this jive
    you got is a gassed. I'm goin' up to my dommy and dig
    that new mess Pops laid down for Okeh. I hear he rifted
    back on Zackly. Pick you up at The Track when the kitchen
                   mechanics romp... [19]
Translation:

I'm standing under the Tree of Hope, selling my marijuana. The customers come
up, one by one.

First Cat:  Hello Mezz, have you got any marijuana?
Me: Plenty, old man my pockets are full as a factory hand's on
    payday.
First Cat:  Let me have three cigarettes [fifty cents' worth].
Me: Sure will, slotmouth (a private inner-racial joke,
    suggesting a mouth as big and as avaricious as the coin
    slot in a vending machine). Look at the detective on your
    left — the head bartender slipped him some hush money,
    and now he's swaggering around as if crime does pay.
First Cat:  I hope he croaks. I'm not paying him even a tiny bit of
    attention. [Literally, father grab him' means Lord snatch
    the man and haul him away; and when you 'don't pay a
    man no rabbit, you're not paying him any more attention
    than you would a rabbit ~ butt as it disappears over a
    fence.] Friend, this marijuana of yours is. terrific. I'm
    going home to listen to that new record Louis Armstrong
    made for the Okeh company. I hear he did some wonderful
    playing and singing on the number 'Exactly Like You'. See
                   you at the Savoy Ballroom on Thursday ... [That is, the
                  maids' night off when all the domestic workers will be
                 dancing there.][20]

Although always a marijuana enthusiast, Mezzrow never tried to push it on
people. He dealt mainly to friends and acquaintances; it was a family affair
rather than a hardnosed business deal. Ironically, when he was eventually
busted in 1940 after the drug had been banned nationwide, he was caught
giving it away.

Mezz was almost an underground national celebrity; visitors to New York
sought him out to turn them on and no tea pad or rent party was complete
without its stash of best-quality Mezz. Yet something was missing in all this
adulation: the music. He was better known as a reefer man than as a musician.
Mezzrow saw his marijuana-dealing as virtually a community service. Now, in
the early thirties, the white mobsters (who owned many clubs in Harlem) were
trying to turn it into a racket albeit on a small scale compared with the
post-war years. Being dragged down to the level of white gangster scum
enhanced the sense of inferiority Mezzrow already felt towards blacks.

In this state of rock-bottom self-esteem, Mezz met a drummer named Frankie
Ward who reintroduced him to opium. His only previous experience of the drug
had been with the mobsters back in Detroit: now he was more than ready to
have all his fears and anxieties blotted out. From 1931 until 1935, Mezz
spent a large part of his time in a cleaned-out six-foot-square coal bin
which served as an opium pad. It had been set up by a dealer called Mike, in
the basement of a tenement — where he was caretaker.

Mezz was in trouble. Even the guys whom he smoked with regularly begged him
to give it up and not waste his talent as a musician. Like everyone who gets
into opiates Mezz believed he could break the habit whenever he wanted to.
Some can, and are able to use drugs like opium, morphine and heroin on a
'recreational' basis without ever becoming dependent. Mezzrow was not one of
these. He tried hard to give it up and get his music together again. He made
an appointment with a big-time radio booking agent to see if it was possible
to fulfil his dreams of organising a racially mixed band. The agent greeted
Mezz warmly, but all he wanted to talk about was setting up a marijuana
distribution operation. When Mezz did get a contract he was allowed just one
black singer. He had a black arranger as well though and everything looked
fine until another bandleader poached his musicians: then it was back to the
bunker for consolation.

In 1934 he tried again to come off and failed. Louis Armstrong, a long-time
friend, offered him the chance of becoming his musical director. He gave Mezz
$1,000 to clear his debts and meet his living expenses, but Mezz could not
bring himself to tell Armstrong of his addiction. This time Mezzrow knew it
was make or break. It is often the way that when there are more reasons for
coming off drugs than staying on, a user will go for broke, however
unpleasant the experience. And judged by his own description, Mezzrow had a
tough time withdrawing from opium over several weeks. But he did it.

One night I was sitting there listening and then I got up and took my docket
and locked myself in my room. I put the horn together and looked at it for a
long, long time . Then I raised it to my lips and blew. A beautiful, full,
round and the note came vibrating out, a note with guts in it, with life and
pounding strength. And then I started to cry. I had cried plenty the last
four years, but this time my tears were tears of pure joy. I was human. I was
awake. I was alive again. [21]

Busted for marijuana dealing in 1940, Mezz did a three-year stretch on
Riker's Island. His dealing days were over. Once outside, he carried on as
musician and record producer, and married a black girl. Eventually he moved
to Paris, where so many musicians, black and white, have gone into exile and
seen their careers reborn among appreciative and receptive audiences. He died
there in 1972 at the age of seventy-three.

pps. 26-36

--[notes]—
Chapter Three
1. Mezzrow, p. 98
2. ibid., p. 4
3. ibid., p. 18
4. Ostransky, p. 2
5. Sidran, p 44
6. Before he switched to clarinet, Mezzrow wanted to be a saxophonist
7. Mezzrow, p. 55
8. ibid., p. 59
9. Morris, p. 22
10. ibid. , p. 25
11. Mezzrow s p . 72
12. ibid., pp. 79-80
13. Leonard, pp. 60-1
14. Mezzrow, p. 99
15. ibid., p. 101
16. ibid., p. 115
17. ibid., p. 2 10
18. Robert Palmer. Deep Blues London: Macmillan, 1982, p. 31
19. Mezzrow, p. 216
20. ibid., pp. 345-6
21. ibid., p. 275
-----