-Caveat Lector-

SkeptiNews 990922e - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

: Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
: Nothing contained herein is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy or meaning.
: I dreamed I saw Saint Augustine during the production of this bulletin.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ Multicolor-Text Art: http://www.orchy.com/dictionary/bigdic-t.htm
@ AnaCam AnaGram: http://anacam.com/anagram1/index.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Abductions - The Truth. Since the modern era of abductions began with the
  Barney and Betty Hill UFO close encounter of September 19, 1961 in New
  Hampshire, ufology has never been the same. Before the Hills' encounter,
  UFO sightings were investigated in a prescribed, straight forward manner
  that involved gathering supporting evidence while simultaneously trying to
  disprove a witness's account. http://www.sightings.com/ufo4/abduct2.htm

: Is disproof impossible? Does only a moron try to prove a negative? Have
you gathered sufficient evidence? Have you gone to another place and time?

@ UFOs Through The Ages... A Timeline:
  http://www.sightings.com/ufo4/historyofufo.htm
@ FIRE OFFICERS GUIDE - Disaster Control and UFOs:
  http://www.channel1.com/users/cci/disaster.htm
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Group promotes standards for 'connected home'. NEW YORK (Reuters) It may
  not be the Jetsons, but building a "wired" home is becoming easier than
  you think. A major consortium claims to have devised an easy, affordable
  standard for wiring homes to efficiently handle everything from heating to
  lighting to Internet access. "Wiring America's Homes" for less than $2000;
  see http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2561271212-ba9

: Would you rather wire your house, your head, a head for a reservation, the
White House, the Kremlin, Buckingham Palace, the celestial city, eels? Why?

# Taiwan Quake hits computer chip plants - prices to rise:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2561271602-c75
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ IF WE BUY BODY ORGANS, WHO IS GOING TO SELL THEM? If we pay for egg and
  sperm donations, and if people are dying waiting for a new kidney, why
  shouldn't a kidney donor or donor's family get some compensation as well?
  http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=17307

@ WILL THE CLONERS PUT THE ORGAN SELLERS OUT OF BUSINESS? Yes, if cloning
  research is allowed to advance without restrictions, then we could develop
  the ability to grow new organs - and make debates on buying/selling organs
  moot. http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=17284

: What body parts would you like to buy, sell, rent, lease? Would you prefer
to clone or be cloned? What's your favorite organ? Electric or acoustic? Eh?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# 2100 AD - Cornell Study Warns Of A Miserable Life On Overcrowded Earth.
  ITHACA, N.Y. -- 100 years from now, democratically determined population-
  control practices & sound resource-management policies could have Earth's
  2 billion people thriving in harmony with the environment. Lacking these
  approaches, a new Cornell U. study suggests, 12 billion miserable humans
  will suffer a difficult life on Earth by the year 2100. Only you can
  prevent overbreeding: http://www.sightings.com/politics4/miserable.htm

: Do you like lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and
lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of neighbors? Eh?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# North Bay rattled by 4.2 magnitude earthquake. ROHNERT PARK, Calif -- A
  moderate earthquake measuring 4.2 in magnitude rattled Sonoma County on
  Wednesday, but no damage or injuries were reported. Full USGS report:
  http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/nc40105370.html

: I was 3 miles from the epicenter when it happened - why didn't I feel it?
Am I numb? Did my implant misfire? Did the mind-control rays hypnotize me??
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

SkeptiLinks:

@ The First Hypertext Edition of The Dictionary of Phrase and Fable:
  http://www.bibliomania.com/Reference/PhraseAndFable/index.html
@ Is the End near?  Check out the track-record of doomsayers:
  http://www.primenet.com/~heuvelc/skeptic/predictions.htm

# Pope pledges Holy Land visit - vows to exorcise demonic Muslims:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2561271852-9b7
# Dolphins face uncertain future - hurricane renders them homeless:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2561265295-624
# Americans Less Secure Against Terrorism - Threat Grows:
  http://www.sightings.com/politics4/terrorism_p.htm

@ Office of Human Radiation Experiments (OHRE) (DOE)
  Home Page: http://tis-nt.eh.doe.gov/ohre/
  Human Radiation Experiments Archives: http://hrex.dis.anl.gov/
  Stakeholders: http://tis-nt.eh.doe.gov/ohre/roadmap/events/stakeholders/

# Feds Want Long Island's Plum Island To Be Deadly Test Center:
  http://www.sightings.com/politics4/fedswant.htm
# Challenging UFO Secrecy - But Do We Want The Truth?
  http://www.sightings.com/ufo4/truth.htm

@ OUT OF THE GENE POOL, onto the tee-shirt:
  http://healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=17328
@ PHONE-FREE BLISS AND OTHER JOYS OF MEDITATION
  http://healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=17309

@ Guilt Without Sex: http://207.240.225.250/stories/story11.html
@ 12 NEW PICTURES EVERYDAY: http://3488670202/12freepics.html
@ Foot Fetish: http://www.footfetish.com/sys/click/6481

# British Cold War spies identified - insignificant:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2561254665-b9d
# Also: List of alleged British spies, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2561253480-d33

@ East Timor Cynicism Quiz - If you believe you're getting the whole story
  on East Timor from the mainstream press or the US govt, take this little
  quiz: http://www.motherjones.com/east_timor/comment/Hans_quiz.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

  "I was just sitting down to a nice plate of lutefisk when my yak decided
   to barf all over my dog.  This seems to happen everytime I try eating
   lutefisk in front of the yak.  The problem is that I only have a studio
   apartment so there's no place here I can eat lutefisk without the yak
   seeing and the dog is beginning to smell real bad.  To top it all off
   I know that all the lutefisk I've eaten over the years is planning to
   attack me while I'm sleeping so I just don't sleep anymore.  All I do
   is watch late-night infomercials and eat lutefisk with my stinky puppy.
   Can anyone help?" --"Flying Boy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

* http://skepticon.da.ru (updated) * ICQ# 19633976 * FAX: 603-415-3736
* email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* (sorry, I can't answer all email - but thanks for your feedback)
* SkeptiChat/SkeptiNews archives: http://skeptifiles.da.ru (belated)
* Fringe * Science * Faith * Sex/Drugs * UFO/PSI/Y2K * Conspiracy *