</A> -Cui Bono?-

Bizarre plot unfolds in California
http://www.msnbc.com/news/380516.asp?cp1=1

IRVINE, Calif., March 10 —  A doctor with mysterious containers
buried in his yard killed himself out of fear he was being set up as a
suspect in a failed “hit” on his partner, the man’s lawyer said Friday. It
is just the latest twist in a bizarre plot playing out in a tony
neighborhood in Southern California.

‘You really think this happens on the news, in other places, not here.
Now, I find myself looking at my neighbors a little differently.’ —
GLORIA SECORE,  Neighbor

THE CASE has baffled residents of this $580,000-a-house
community in the heart of Orange County, better known for its
University of California campus and airport named after John Wayne
than for crime. “This really has revealed a false sense of security for
us. You really think this happens on the news, in other places. Not
here,” said Gloria Secore. “Now, I find myself looking at my
neighbors a little differently.”

The neighbor who started all the fuss is Dr. Larry Ford, a medical
researcher with ties to the CIA who committed suicide March 2, a
day after police questioned him about the attempted murder of his
business partner, James Patrick Riley, 58, of Newport Beach.

In an interview with the Orange County Newschannel on Friday,
Ford’s attorney, Bryan Card, the doctor left a suicide note about the
shooting attack on Riley. “He indicated he thought he was ‘set up,’ ”
Card said. “And he asked those left behind to prove it.” Card said the
note did not elaborate on how Ford might have been set up or who
would do it. He said Ford led a secret life his family did not know
about.

“The police informed Mrs. Ford that her husband had been working
for the CIA for the last 20 years, among some other agencies. But,
obviously, with his expertise in bacteria and things of that nature, they
called upon him from time to time to help them,” Card said, adding
that Ford worked on biological warfare.

The story began to unfold nearly two weeks ago when a masked
gunman dressed in black attacked Riley in the company parking lot of
Biofem Pharmaceutical Inc., the company run by Riley and Ford. The
gunman fired once, hitting Riley in the face. He was hospitalized for
five days, then released.

Almost immediately, police focused on Ford. The two men were
trying to market a female contraceptive suppository they believed
would also hinder the spread of sexually transmitted diseases. They
believed the product would be worth millions.

However, before police could question Ford, he committed suicide.
Police have since arrested Ford’s longtime friend Dino D’Saachs, 56,
as the getaway driver in the botched hit on Riley. Police continued to
search for the shooter.

D’Saachs, who pleaded innocent to the charges on Monday, had
known Ford for about 15 years and apparently had done Riley’s
taxes and worked on cars for him. Police found the deed to Riley’s
home in D’Saachs’ possession.

When a family member tipped off police that Ford had buried
weapons and biological materials in the yard, authorities ordered the
evacuation of the neighborhood. More than 49 families were
evacuated to a nearby hotel and a local elementary school was closed
for the week. Pink “cleared” signs now hang on doors, garages and
metal gates of the empty homes. Another 50 families were told to be
ready to leave if necessary.

On Friday police unearthed six canisters which had been buried
vertically under a slab of concrete, KNBC-TV reports. Described as
10-inch-wide PVC pipes with caps on the ends, the containers were
carefully lifted out of the ground by a bomb squad robot, then taken
away to be opened under controlled conditions.

An X-ray scan done at the site showed pipes contain items made of
metal and what authorities suspect are explosive materials, police
sources told KNBC. Additionally, a search of the house yielded
thousands of rounds of rifle ammunition hidden beneath a trap door
— including illegal belted machine gun rounds, police said. Although
Ford owned several rifles and shotguns, no illegal weapons were
found.

KNOWING YOUR NEIGHBOR
“It’s scary,” said Paul Chu, who has lived in the area since the houses
were built 15 years ago. Outside of Secore’s house, she and two
friends discussed the media and police spectacle unfolding across the
street.

“The news helicopters started at 5:30 this morning, and the ‘beep-
beep’ of the (police emergency) trucks backing up went on all night.
This morning, some guy shoved a microphone in my face,” Secore
said. “It’s like we’ve been invaded.”

All three said the case was a lesson about morals and neighbors. “Try
to have some morals. Stand up and be accountable for your actions,”
Secore said. “It also goes to show, how well do you really know
who’s in your neighborhood? I’m going to make more of an effort to
know who’s here.”

Down the street, Martha Biemann sat in her car with three of her
children. She said she’s been honest with her children about what’s
happening — about the attempted murder, the suicide and why the
FBI is in their neighborhood.

“I can’t hide it from them, even though I really want to,” she said.
“They’ve heard on the news and from their friends, and now they are
seeing it. My son is going across the street to play basketball on his
best friend’s driveway, and they’ve been evacuated. ... I tell them this
is not normal.”

The Associated Press and KNBC contributed to this report.

The Patriot Resource Center: http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/6627/
Online Patriot Internet Radio: http://www.geocities.com/aresister_2000/