</A> -Cui Bono?-

Note from Bill:

Here is a copy of the e-mail George W. Bush sent to Al Gore.

Governor Bush is very direct in his response to Al Gore's request.
He finishes his e-mail with the comment, "This Internet of yours is
a wonderful invention."

*****

Text of Bush e-mail to Gore
http://news.excite.com/news/r/000315/18/campaign-bush-text

Updated 6:05 PM ET March 15, 2000

AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - Following is the full text of an e-mail
of Texas Gov. George W. Bush sent to Vice President Al Gore on
Wednesday:

"Dear Mr. Vice President:

Thank you for your e-mail and your congratulations. I congratulate
you as well, and look forward to a campaign that raises the
important issues of our time -- reforming education, rebuilding our
military and returning high standards to government.

Both you and I have made a number of campaign finance reform
proposals. But before we debate these changes, it is important for
Americans to know whether the current campaign finance laws have
been obeyed and enforced. So I challenge you to clear the air on
some serious charges. I hope you will encourage the White House and
the Department of Justice to release all records and photographs
relating to the investigation of fundraising abuses by you and your
administration.

In your e-mail, you spoke of restoring 'trust in our electoral
process.' And that is the heart of the matter. New campaign finance
laws are needed. What is even more important is the duty of public
officials to obey the existing laws, and I'm afraid your own record
does not inspire confidence.

In your note, you did not mention the matter of compulsory union
dues being used to support political candidates - a violation of
worker rights. And I see that you did not mention this today, when
you spoke to the AFL-CIO. This would have been an ideal setting to
display your sudden interest in campaign finance reform, and to
demonstrate your own seriousness on the issue. Your silence was not
encouraging, because any campaign finance reform must be broad and
fair.

Thank you for your email. This Internet of yours is a wonderful
invention."

Koenig's International News - Bill Koenig - http://watch.org/
Post Office Box 671127, Dallas, TX 75367