</A> -Cui Bono?-

World’s Wealthiest in 1999
--------------------------
1. Gates, William United States $90 billion
2. Buffett, Warren United States $36 billion
3. Allen, Paul Gardner United States $30 billion
4. Ballmer, Steven United States $19.5 billion
5. Anschutz, Philip United States $16.5 billion
6. Dell, Michael United States $16.5 billion
7. Walton, S. Robson United States $15.8 billion
8. Alsaud, Prince Alwaleed
   Bin Talal Saudi Arabia $15 billion
9. Albrecht, Theo & Karl Germany $13.6 billion
10. Li Ka-shing and family Hong Kong $12.6 billion

>From a recently released report by the United Nations Development Program,
entitled “Human Development Report 1999” (UNHDR):

   *“The income gap between the fifth of the world’s people living in
the
richest countries and the fifth in the poorest was 74 to 1 in 1997, up
from 60 to 1 in 1990 and 30 to 1 in 1960.”

   *“By the late 1990s the fifth of the world’s people living in the
highest income countries had86% of the world GDP (Gross Domestic
Product)—the bottom fifth just 1%.”

   *“To sum up: the top fifth of the world’s people in the richest
countries enjoy 82% of the expanding export trade and 68% of foreign
direct investment—the bottom fifth, barely more than 1%.”

   *“The net worth of the world’s 200 richest people increased from
$440
billion to more than $1 trillion in just the four years from 1994 to
1998.”

   *“The assets of the three richest people were more than the
combined
GNP of the 48 least developed countries.” (Comprising some 600 million
people.)

   *“The assets of the 200 richest people are more than the combined
income of 41% of the world’s people.”

“We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth
concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can’t have both.”
--Louis Brandeis, United States Supreme Court Justice from 1916–1939

“We stand for the maintenance of private property. We shall protect
free
enterprise as the most expedient, or rather the sole possible economic
order.” --Adolph Hitler

(This material—except the CNN headline-- is compiled in David
McGowan’s,
“Derailing Democracy,” now available from Common Courage Press at
http://www.commoncouragepress.com/mcgowan_derailing.html)