
Secrecy in Hepatitis Cases at School Angers Parents
SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO--Officials at Ambuehl Elementary School were besieged Wednesday by
angry parents complaining that they had not been told for months that two
brothers at the school had hepatitis A.
Health officials defended their decision as they prepared to inoculate
hundreds of students and some staff today at the school, where a third
student was reported to have the illness Friday.
Some parents said the school withheld critical information about the
cases for two months. Others wrongly thought the disease generally
carries lifelong consequences, which is true of hepatitis B and C, but
not A.
Kim Herkewitz, whose son is a fifth-grader at Ambuehl, said she would
rather have known about the risk so she could have had a choice about
immunizing her son.
"This was poor judgment from the beginning," she said. "This is a
policy that would invite infection to take over."
Principal Cheryl Spetrino said information about the first two cases
of the disease, which involved brothers in kindergarten and fourth grade,
was closely held on the advice of officials at the Orange County Health
Care Agency. It wasn't until a third case appeared in a fourth-grade
student over the last week that school officials decided to send an
informational letter home to parents.
Dr. Hildy Meyers, the county epidemiologist, defended her decision,
saying to do otherwise might have caused unnecessary hysteria and misuse
of medical resources. While household transmission of hepatitis A is
common, it is rarely transmitted through classroom contact, she said,
noting that the first two cases were confined to one family.
Search the archives of the Los Angeles Times for similar stories about:
Orange County - Schools,
Elementary School Students,
Hepatitis A. You will not be charged to look for stories, only to retrieve one.
|