</A> -Cui Bono?-

In a message dated 04/01/2000 9:38:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I was under the impression that e-mail technically belongs to the
 e-mail server/service that is being *used*, and does not belong
 to the sender or receiver??  And, I thought that when at work,
 your time and efforts belong to your employer (including E-mails
 generated there)??? >>

I was not basically interested in e-mail.  I am questioning the ownership of
a personal letter.  Does a posted letter addressed to an individual belong to
the individual to do with as he  or she wishes, or is it the "privacy
protected" property of the writer?  That appears to be the issue in the
Clinton/what's her name case.  I'm worried about the precedent being set
here, since tomorrow a letter might be addressed to me from someone who is
threatening me, and I will be duty bound to protect his or her privacy and
unable to use the letter in court, or possibly even to show it to the police.
 What makes life fun for Clinton bashers might make life intolerable for the
rest of us.  Prudy