</A> -Cui Bono?-

Here's the article from freecongress.org (via NewsMax.Com) followed by my
comment to them about a phrase in the article.  The question becomes:  who'd
afraid of the lawsuits, the Americans' or the parent (non-American) companies?
I would venture a guess that Bill Jeff is taking lending his ear to some of his
Euro-Buddies.  This is like the 'banana wars':  DoJ sues the gun makers and
winds up p'ing off the Euros who really own the gun manufacturers (except for
Ruger).  The dough from any settlement comes out of Britland or Belgium or
Italy or Austria.  So, what do they do?  Put an embargo on gun shipments to /
close down the factories over here in the U.S. (hint:  that would be a good
time to buy Ruger stock)?  A<>E<>R

{{<Begin>}}

NewsMax.com

CommentMax
Gun Manufacturer Fell for Smoke Screen
Lisa Dean March 28, 2000

There's a story that's been told before but bears repeating. It's the story of
a man who, while walking down a dirt path, encountered a snake that had somehow
been injured and pleaded with the man to help him.  The man shook his head and
said, "I'm not going to touch you. You're a snake and you'll bite me."

But the snake promised that he wouldn't bite him because he really needed his
help. So the man reached down, picked up the snake and proceeded to treat his
injuries when all of a sudden, the snake lashed out and bit him! Stunned, the
man exclaimed, "You promised that if I helped you that you wouldn't bite me and
you bit me anyway!"

To which the snake replied, "Why are you so surprised?  You knew very well what
I was when you picked me up."

Now, let's say the man in this story is actually United States gun
manufacturers and the snake is the Clinton administration. That being the case,
you should now have an accurate picture of what the latest story is on our
Second Amendment rights in America.

The Clinton Administration has been trying for years to strip Americans of
their constitutional right to own guns and little by little, have advanced
their cause. Instead of viewing tragedies such as Columbine and other shootings
of school children and innocent people as acts committed by mentally unstable
people heavily influenced by a godless, secular environment, this
administration used them to advance their gun-grabbing agenda.

The major media reported late last week that Smith and Wesson, by far the
largest and most well-known gun manufacturer in the United States, struck a
deal with the Clinton administration to allow them to continue manufacturing
guns. The deal is essentially ideal for an industry that fears the same
litigious treatment by the administration and the public with regard to guns
that's currently being endured by the tobacco industry regarding smoking.

The deal is this, in exchange for a promise by the administration granting the
company legal immunity and to avoid lawsuits filed by nearly 30 states, cities
and counties in an attempt by those governments to recover the losses incurred
through gun-related violence, Smith and Wesson will agree to alter the
manufacture of their guns.

The guns they manufacture will contain mandatory trigger locks so that while
the guns may look threatening, they are actually rendered useless. Also, Smith
and Wesson will ensure that background checks take place at both retail
establishments and gun shows, that smart gun technology is used so that every
gun has a so-called ballistic fingerprint in order for law enforcement to
easily detect which bullet was fired from which gun, as well as biometric
identification which will enable the gun to be fired only after recognizing the
shooter's fingerprint.

On March 22, it was reported that two other gun manufacturers -- Glock, located
in Austria, and Browning -- have both considered and rejected similar
settlements to the one made with Smith & Wesson, which puts a completely
different spin on the issue. While Smith & Wesson undoubtedly accepted the
administration's proposal out of fear of having to lose millions of dollars in
lawsuits, the other companies took a different approach. They heeded the advice
of the organizations, individuals and even their clientele, without whom, the
companies wouldn't be in business anyway.

So the question arises, what is likely to happen to Smith & Wesson? Aside from
getting a few days of good press, the company will get no benefit from this
deal at all. While it may have been granted immunity from legal action from
federal, state and local governments, they are still liable as individuals
still have the freedom to sue the industry.

Just look at the tobacco industry. It's getting slapped with more lawsuits
right now than it can handle, many from individuals who lost loved ones to lung
cancer and other smoking-related diseases.

Even if lawsuits weren't in the equation here, there is still no benefit. The
trigger lock technology alone is enough to encourage people to buy from Smith &
Wesson's competitors who have so far refused the compromise. Who wants to be
fiddling with a trigger lock while their house is being ransacked or they're
faced with an attacker at three o'clock in the morning?

And as far as background checks go, there is another deterrent.  Gun buyers
don't want the federal government keeping their names and personal information
stored in databases, as if they are somehow criminals for wanting to exercise
their constitutional right to own a gun.

These two policies alone are enough to cause the black market to flourish in
this country and the downfall of companies such as Smith & Wesson to be
inevitable. The latter is precisely what this administration wants to see
happen. It's happening already to the tobacco industry, now they're attempting
to use the same tactics to bring down the gun industry.

They will have a tougher time though. Gun owners and advocates tend to cherish
and defend the Constitution, probably more than any other group of people in
the United States.  Smith & Wesson would have been wise to follow the lead of
their competitors by listening to their clientele rather than believing the
promises made by a snake.
Lisa Dean is vice president of  FreeCongress.org's Center for Technology
Policy.

Reprint Information

All Rights
            Reserved © NewsMax.com