fyi, Bard

In the ripeness of his years, Thomas Jefferson wrote:

"The man who never looked into a newspaper is better informed than he who read them,
inasmuch as he who knows nothing is nearer to the truth than he whose mind is filled
with half-truths and errors."

The Most Important Book after The Holy Bible (Lord Hamilton)
The Creature from Jekyll Island: A Second Look at the Federal Reserve by Griffin -
$19.50

This book exposes the most blatant scam of all history.
It’s all here: the cause of wars, boom-bust cycles, inflation, depression, prosperity.
What every American needs to know about central bank power.
        -- Professor Mark Thornton. (1994 ed, 608pp, pb)
http://www.jbs.org/aobs/reviews/creature_jekyll.htm

Navigation SalonSalon Newsemailprint
Arts & Entertainment
Books
Comics
Health & Body
Media
Mothers Who Think
.News
People
Politics2000
Technology
- Free Software
Travel & Food
_______
Columnists

Current
Wire Stories

Click here to read the latest stories from the wires.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Also Today

For a full list of today's Salon News stories, go to the News home page.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Search Salon

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Recently in Salon News

Bracing for Hurricane Elián
Miami's Cuban-American community prepares for war against hometown girl Janet Reno.

By John Lantigua
[03/31/00]

Agony in the garden
A California diocese recovers from a sex-abuse scandal, and finds that healing comes through facing the truth.

By John van der Zee
[03/30/00]

Lessons from "Erin Brockovich"
If tort reformers like George W. Bush had their way, greedy corporations like California public utility PG&E would still be poisoning their neighbors.

By Joe Conason
[03/28/00]

Vouchers and the law: The rebuttals
In Round 2 of a Salon debate on school vouchers, our experts exchange barbs.

By Daryl Lindsey
[03/28/00]

Rape, robbery and anguish in the new South Africa
I was arrested for fighting apartheid, but what good is freedom if rampant violence terrorizes blacks and whites alike?

By Jenefer Shute
[03/28/00]

Complete archives for News

- - - - - - - - - - - -

figleaves.com
change your underwear.
click here

- - - - - - - - - - - -

barnesandnoble.com

Save up to 40% at barnesandnoble.com

Search by:

Find books up to 40 percent off!

Books in the News
Bestsellers
Current Affairs
Recommended Reads
Oprah's Book Club

News

The drug war gravy train
How the White House rewarded U.S. News, Seventeen and other magazines for publishing anti-drug articles.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Daniel Forbes

March 31, 2000 |  At least six major U.S. magazines have submitted anti-drug articles they have published over the past year to the government's Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) in an attempt to qualify for thousands of dollars of financial credits under the same federal advertising program that has benefited the television networks, Salon has learned.

Those magazines whose articles have been deemed by the drug czar's office as "on-message" have qualified for the credits, which are awarded in lieu of advertising obligations. Those that failed the test have not.

The drug-control office has made some of the most lucrative ad buys from magazines that maintain an anti-drug editorial environment that it considers hospitable to its messages.

The ONDCP, which is overseen by Gen. Barry R. McCaffrey, an officer in President Clinton's Cabinet, did not review the articles before they were published. But the office did allow the six magazines -- U.S. News & World Report, Sporting News, Family Circle, Seventeen, Parade and USA Weekend -- to submit their editorial content to qualify as a substitute for advertising pages owed the government under single-year advertising contracts. Executives at all six magazines have confirmed the relationship with the drug office in interviews with Salon. The ONDCP refused to comment on this and all other matters. (The office demanded that questions be faxed to it, which Salon refused to do.)

The editors of the six publications denied that their content or editorial decisions were affected by the relationship with the White House drug office -- although some of the articles were apparently planned and assigned out of a desire to help spread the ONDCP's anti-drug message. Several of the editors denied any knowledge of the relationship, while others claimed to have only a partial awareness of it.

Given their ignorance and the fact that the articles weren't vetted before publication, several editors said, there was nothing unseemly about trading them for the ad credits. It was unclear whether, now that they knew about it, the editors would continue to engage in the practice.

Some industry insiders defended their colleagues' decisions to take part in the program. Jacqueline Leo, president of the American Society of Magazine Editors and former editor of Family Circle, said, "Given all the things editors can be pressured about, this doesn't ring my chimes. This one is at least not completely toxic. If U.S. News is trying to get credit to meet their numbers, I can't fault them for that. To say you don't owe [ONDCP] a half a page, I'd do that." Retroactive valuation is especially not a problem, says Leo, because "it means nothing if you take preexisting features and say, 'Here, give me credit.'"

Other commentators, however, were less sanguine.

Tom Goldstein, dean of the Columbia University School of Journalism, said, "It strikes me as highly dubious. Editors should edit and the sales side should sell. Sure, I'm concerned. The way you describe it, it seems the editorial function has been compromised." He added, "There shouldn't be arrangements that are hidden from readers."

Lewis Lapham, the editor of Harper's, expressed no great shock: "The only surprise here is it hasn't happened sooner. Most consumer magazines a long time ago turned themselves into delivery systems for advertisers."

One of the writers whose story was submitted to the White House drug office for valuation stated, "This is a clear violation of journalistic ethics. It's really egregious."

"This shapes the type of reporting you're doing and what editors are asking for," continued the journalist, who requested anonymity. "If we ever did something like this as a writer -- showed a story to a source ahead of publication, say -- our career would be finished."

What is indisputable is that the U.S. government is using taxpayer money to, in effect, reward publications whose editorial content matches the government's views on drug control.

Illustration by George Riemann

Play Trivial Pursuit Online and win!

Are you Overweight?

Oracle - Keep Your Business Up and Running

----------------------------------
Smash The State WWW
http://freakpower.homepage.com/smashthestate

B18780;sz=468x60;ord=?1418243038

B18780.3;sz=120x60;ord=?590755694

news_mast.gif

arrow.gif

rule.gif

34303236303939353338653735356330

tile.gif

story.jpg

next.gif

spacer_inside1.gif

spacer_inside2.gif

spacer_inside3.gif

spacer_inside4.gif

budget2.gif

logo2.gif

?2000.04.02.14.14.28

34303236303939353338653735356330

B19441.4;sz=120x60;adc=gby;ord=?2000.04.02.14.14.28

B18780;sz=468x60;ord=?613774401