</A> -Cui Bono?-

On 4 Apr 00, at 18:33, Alamaine wrote:

> -Caveat Lector-   <A HREF="http://www.ctrl.org/">
> </A> -Cui Bono?-
>
> The shame of it all is we are expected to foot the bill for whatever
> comes into the theatres.  An interesting study of Hollyweird and its
> gaggle of silly geese can be seen on, paradoxically enough, the E!
> channel, most notably either via its Scandals or its True Hollywood
> Story series.  There's an article somewhere dealing with whether or
> not the big 'stars' are worth the $$$ paid to them for their protrayal
> of life as we (are told we should) know it.  My disenchantment with
> Hollyweird came about after learning that Jim Carrey makes about $20M
> a flick, for being a 'Pet Detective', no less.

The wonderful thing about today's media is that you really can
choose what you watch. You can tune in to Turner Classic Movies--
if you have cable-- and see all the Oscar winning movies that were,
including the 1932 version of Midsummer Night's Dream with
Mickey Rooney (as a kid) playing Puck and a young James
Cagney playing Bottom (the Special Effects are stunning). Or
Shirley Temple in The Bluebird--to mention only two of the least
controversial films on a very long list.

Or try Bravo, which runs quite a few golden oldies as well as some
of the best independent films that have been produced recently.

Given a ton of rain, I've been doing some movie catch-up. Two of
the new releases on video that should appeal to someone on this
list are The Brass Ring--with a film script about a presidential
election and political corruption by Orson Welles-- and Arlington
Road, with a script that seems to be based on the stories behind
Ruby Ridge and the Oklahoma City bombing. Veerrry interesting.

And for extras, there's The Thirteenth Warrior. I picked it up
because it was the only relatively new release available one night
at my local video store. I've been reading Seamus Heaney's new
translation of Beowulf, the early classic of English literature.
Imagine my surprise when I saw the story of Beowulf unfold
onscreen. It credits a screenplay based on Michael Crichton's
Eaters of the Dead. But Eaters of the Dead is Crichton's adaptation
of Beowulf. And except for Banderos' role, all the elements of
Heaney's translation are right there on the screen. And, in my
opinion, fairly well done, too.

Although I agree about the consolidation of the media which is
giving the "packagable stars" outrageous salaries and leaving
many, many fine actors with peanuts for pay, none of the above
seemed particularly depraved to me. You still get to choose what
you watch.

sno0wl