</A> -Cui Bono?-

On 6 Apr 2000, at 23:18, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

You know, this strikes me (for those of you who join me in recalling
Uncle Remus) as another case of the Feds shouting "PLEASE
don't throw
me

into the briar patch!!!" I leave the possible reasons why as an
exercise

for the student...

~Olga

ABC News
http://abcnews.go.com/

U.S. Set To Stage Mock Terror Attacks in May
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/World/reuters20000405_4419.html

WASHINGTON, April 6 (Reuters)

Sometime in May, senior U.S.  officials will wake up to their worst
nightmare -- a string of terrorist attacks from coast to coast.

Fortunately, it will be only a dress rehearsal for the real thing.
Called "Topoff," the series of attacks by a fake foreign terrorist
group is aimed at testing how top officials would respond if faced by
real weapons of mass destruction.

As part of the staged attacks, actors will release mock biological
agents, chemical weapons and radiation and hack into computers,
said
Ted Macklin, director of exercises and evaluations at the Justice
Department's Office

of
State and Local Domestic Preparedness Support.

"This will give us the chance to assess in a context of a full-scale
exercise how far we have come in the training process of our first
responders and whether we need to make any midcourse
corrections," he
said in an interview with Reuters.

"This exercise is very important to allow us to assess our national
capacity and refine our approach to the threat of terrorism," he said,
adding that the scale of the exercise -- which will cost at least $3.4
million -- was unprecedented in terms of the range of attacks.

SPOOF ATTACKS MUST TAKE OFFICIALS BY SURPRISE

Macklin refuses to provide specifics since he wants to avoid giving
too much information to top officials, whom he wants to surprise
with
the carefully planned mayhem.

It has taken more than a year and the involvement of hundreds of
state
and local officials to plan the exercise that targets three venues:
Denver, Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and an area outside
Washington,
D.C.

The only information to be disclosed so far is that the attacks will
take place over a period of several days between May 7 and 26.  No
details will be released until then about the type of biological
agents to be used, how the process will unfold and the specific
sites
in the cities chosen.

"The exercise is characterised as 'no notice.' We need an element
of
surprise," said Macklin.  People can expect to see streets blocked
off, emergency vehicles rushing to the scene and "victims" being
taken
to hospitals.

"People will see response vehicles, people may see people in
protective gear and there will be visible activity. Where, when and
what, we can't share with you, "Macklin said.  But he said his
department was working hard to make sure people living in the
areas
affected knew that the events were simulated.

"People will understand that this is just an exercise, but they must
also understand that if they see things that are actual emergencies
they must

tell officials," Justice Department spokesman Doug Johnson said.

Attorney General Janet Reno and Federal Emergency Management
Director
James Lee Witt are the first officials who have lined up to take part
in the event.

SENIOR OFFICIALS LINED UP FOR EXERCISE

Macklin said he hoped senior officials from the FBI, CIA, State
Department,
Pentagon and others would also participate.  After the attacks, a
report

will be filed how they responded and recommend any
improvements or
corrections needed.

"Ultimately the end game in any exercise is that once the
recommendations
are validated we can incorporate them into training programmes to
refine

those," Macklin said.  If a real attack takes place during the mock
events, he said, enough resources have been set aside to deal with
it.

The exercise stems from a provision inserted in a 1998
appropriations
bill by Republican Sen.  Judd Gregg of New Hampshire calling for
"practice operations" for a terrorist attack.  His home state is one
of those chosen for the mayhem.

Critics of the exercise say it overstates the real threats facing
America and that such a broad range of attacks would be unlikely
happen together.

CIA director George Tenet told a Senate committee last month that
major threat to U.S.  security came from groups such as Saudi
exile
Osama bin Laden's that were trying to acquire biological and
chemical
weapons capabilities.

Tenet said that over the next few years U.S.  cities faced ballistic
missile threats from a wide variety of sources: North Korea,
probably
Iran and possibly Iraq.  U.S. intelligence had identified well over 50
nations that were of concern as suppliers, conduits or potential
proliferants, he said.

--
Kathleen

Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at
its worst, an intolerable one. -  Thomas Paine