>                            On Thursday, the appeals court rejected a
>                       request from Elian's Miami relatives for visitation
>                       rights with the boy or to have the court appoint a
>                       neutral, temporary guardian.

Yes, now the Miami gang is whining about getting the same treatment they
meted out to Juan Miguel Gonzalez...they didn't ever want to consider a
'neutral, temporary guardian' when they held Elian hostage, and Juan Miguel
was seeking to meet with his own son...

>                            After daily, televised global media access to the
>                       shipwrecked six-year-old for five solid months, Elian

A more accurate description would be 'five sordid months'...

>                            It is Mr. Craig who decides who snaps photos
>                       and who doesn't. It is Mr. Craig who decides who
>                       gets in to see Elian and who doesn't. In the latter
>                       category fall all of Elian's lawyers, all of the media
>                       and, of course, all of Elian's Miami family. To qualify
>                       as one of Mr. Craig's chosen people, one must come
>                       from either the National Council of Churches or the
>                       Cuban Interests Section.

I don't see where this is any different than what the Miami gang did...they
also were very selective in who had access to Elian.  The only difference is
that they constantly exposed the child to a media circus, while now the child
is in seclusion, as he should have been from the beginning.

>                            Absence of evidence? Since Fidel Castro himself
>                       has broadcast his plans for Elian — a three month
>                       re-education program right off the bat —

Why is 're-education' [sic] considered 'persecution'?

June

screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are sordid
matters