From:               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date sent:          Wed, 24 May 2000 19:53:34 EDT
Subject:            Bush leaves conservatives breathless

What a GREAT article.!!  This is exactly the way I feel, EXACTLY!
(Except that I absolutely will not vote for him.)

Don Feder
May 24, 2000
Bush leaves conservatives breathless

I'm one of those conservatives who, considering the alternative, is praying
he'll be able, in good conscience, to vote for George Bush in November.
So far, Bush is not making it easy.

Last week, the governor embraced the Clinton foreign policy agenda with
an enthusiasm he never shows for conservative causes.

Bush boarded the first-class compartment of the New World Order
Express by opposing legislation to establish modest congressional
oversight of our Kosovo intervention.

Although it lost in the Senate, 40 Republicans supported the move. In
the House, where a companion measure passed, 195 of the body's 213
Republicans were unmoved by the governor's plea.

Bush said the resolution to begin extricating America from the Kosovo
quagmire, by cutting off funds for 5,900 U.S. troops in the province by
July 1, 2001, was "legislative overreach" that would tie his hands as
president.

So, the governor believes that as president he should be able to inject
U.S. forces into trouble spots that bear no relation to our security
concerns -- for years on end and at a cost of billions of dollars -- and
Congress should have no say on the matter? Interesting.

Junior followed that up by urging Republicans to go along with the Peking
Lame Duck's scheme to end our annual review of China's trade status.
Bush endorsed the administration's pinch-me-I-must-be-dreaming
position that giving the People's Republic a blank check on open trade
will make the commies less aggressive, less repressive and generally a
lot nicer.

The Republican candidate described trade relations with the Middle
Kingdom as the work of "13 years and three administrations." Sorry, but
I can't see Ronald Reagan severing trade from human rights and national
security.

Pat Buchanan, the likely Reform Party nominee, notes that since 1993
our trade with China has allowed the communists to amass a $300
billion surplus, "money Beijing has used for the military buildup that now
threatens Taiwan and the U.S. 7th Fleet."

Regarding foreign policy, a Bush presidency is shaping up to be every bit
as detached from reality as four more years of Clinton-Gore.

Elsewhere, Bush is no more encouraging. After the right helped him
defeat Sen. John McCain in the primaries, he returned to his compassion
kick -- proposing $60 billion in new spending over five years, including a
$5 billion literacy initiative (for what are we spending $250 billion
annually
on public education, if our schools can't even teach kids to read?) and
$35 billion to help poor families buy health insurance.

Smart move, his supporters confide, he's co-opting traditional
Democratic issues. And, in the process, he's leaving traditional
Republican issues (anti-communism, a sensible foreign policy, limited
government, fiscal restraint) for Buchanan and other third-party
candidates to co-opt.

In April, Bush applied his TLC to the love that formerly dared not speak
its name -- but now could shatter glass. The governor became the first
likely Republican nominee to meet with a group of homosexual leaders.
He said it made him a "better person" and welcomed "gay Americans"
into his campaign.

At the same time, the candidate reiterated his opposition to gay
marriage and support for allowing the Boy Scouts to bar homosexual
leaders.

Pity he didn't explain how meeting with individuals dedicated to repealing
3,300 years of Judeo-Christian civilization made him a better person, or
why his campaign should roll out the red carpet for those who would
force a private organization to jettison its moral code.

Bush is counting on conservatives' revulsion with Clinton's criminal
enterprise -- in progress for the past seven years -- and horror at the
thought of Al Gore making three or four Supreme Court nominations
(Chief Justice Laurence Tribe?) to keep them in line.

It may just work. But what establishment Republicans invariably forget is
that they need more than conservatives' grudging assent.

In a voting booth, you can hold your nose and still pull the lever with the
other hand. It's much harder to ring doorbells, make phone calls,
distribute literature and write checks with your nostrils constricted due to
an odor emanating from the campaign of the candidate you're forced to
support.

(c)2000 Creators Syndicate, Inc.

-------------  end  ---------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
T H E   I N T E R N E T   B R I G A D E
Linda Muller - WebMaster
Post Office Box 650266, Potomac Falls, Virginia 20165
Email: http://www.buchanan.org/form-contact.html
Web: http://www.buchanan.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
S U P P O R T  the Internet Brigade !
Help by sending a Contribution to the address
above or use our online forms at:
http://www.buchanan.org/contributioncheck.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have You  O F F I C I A L L Y   E N L I S T E D  Yet?
http://www.buchanan.org/form-enlistment.html

Today, candor compels us to admit that our vaunted two-party system is a
snare and a delusion, a fraud upon the nation. Our two parties have become
nothing but two wings of the same bird of prey...
Patrick Buchanan

**COPYRIGHT NOTICE** In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107,

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL