Hi !

Below please find a letter to the editor recently published in the Hartford
Advocate. It is in reply to: the article "Losing Our Minds - Many Americans
believe in government conspiracies -- and why not?!"  by Christina V. Tormey
at http://www.hartfordadvocate.com/articles/conspiracies.html

First is the edited letter actually printed, second is the original letter I
sent.

Sincerely,   Neil Brick

Hartford Advocate - www.hartfordadvocate.com - Vol. 27, No. 21, May 25, 2000
- Pg. 3 (Letters to the editor are not listed at the URL.)

Who's Crazy?

    I was very disappointed by the article, "Losing Our Minds" by Christina
V. Tormey, (Hartford Advocate, 3/2/00). In my opinion, Ms. Tormey uses
several propaganda techniques. She uses the words, "crazy" and "paranoid" to
describe Ms. Taylor and her story. The usage of negative names, intentional
or unintentional, is to discredit the person they are being used on, without
discussing the facts of the debate or topic. Nowhere in the article is there
an investigation of the facts of Ms. Taylor's life.
    Nowhere in the article does she mention reports similar to Ms. Taylor's
that would have corroborated much of what she said. She also only presents
one side of the argument of the recovered memory debate.
    I do appreciate the fact that she mentions the fact that MK-ULTRA
existed, a fact well documented and corroborated by congressional testimony
and court hearings. Unfortunately, she concludes that these experiments were
ended in the 60's, a supposition totally unproven and contradicted by the
numerous survivor stories of the last ten years.
    She also seems to ignore the huge amounts of data given to her that back
up the existence of repressed memory and its recovery as well as the accuracy
of a great deal of this data.  She states, "Instead memories are easily
distorted after an event, simply by a suggestive question." Much of the data
to back this up has been critiqued. Furthermore, this has not been found to
apply to traumatic memory, since traumatic memory is believed to be stored
differently in the brain.
    For those that are interested in hearing the other side of the story
about ritual abuse, mind control and recovered memory, one that has many peer
reviewed studies, court cases and anecdotal data to back it up, visit:
<http://members.aol.com/smartnews/research.html>. Or to hear about several
well documented legal cases pertaining to this issue, visit
<http://members.aol.com/smartnews/fivecases.htm>.
    It is unfortunate that for the most part, only one side of the argument
was presented in this article.  I believe this kind of article will only hurt
those still going through and recovering from child abuse, ritual abuse and
mind control.

Neil Brick
editor of S.M.A.R.T. Newsletter

Original letter sent, before edits:

Letter to the editor of the Hartford Advocate,

I am writing this letter in response to the article, "Many Americans believe
in government conspiracies - and why not ?!" by Christina V. Tormey, 3/2/00.
I apologize for the lateness of my reply, but I believe I was told that I
would be notified when the article would be published, and to the best of my
knowledge, I never was.

I was very disappointed by the article written by Ms. Tormey. In my opinion,
Ms. Tormey uses several propaganda techniques. She uses the words, "crazy"
and "paranoid" to describe Ms. Taylor and her story. The usage of  negative
names, intentional or unintentional, is to discredit the person they are
being used on, without discussing the facts of the debate or topic. Nowhere
in the article is there an investigation of the facts of Ms. Taylor's life.
Nowhere in the article does she mention reports similar to Ms. Taylor's that
would have corroborated much of what she said. She also only presents one
side of the argument of the recovered memory debate.

I do appreciate the fact that she mentions the fact that MK-ULTRA existed, a
fact well documented and corroborated by congressional testimony and court
hearings. Unfortunately, she concludes that these experiments were ended in
the 60's, a supposition totally unproven and contradicted by the numerous
survivor stories of the last ten years.

She also seems to ignore the huge amounts of data given to her that back up
the existence of repressed memory and its recovery as well as the accuracy of
a great deal of this data.  She states, "Instead memories are easily
distorted after an event, simply by a suggestive question." Much of the data
to back this up has been critiqued. Furthermore, this has not been found to
apply to traumatic memory, since traumatic memory is believed to be stored
differently in the brain.

>From "Memory, Trauma Treatment and the Law," by Brown, Schefflin  and
Hammond, "Claims about memory fallibility are only valid, when considered  in
terms of the type of memory assessed....More sophisticated studies that
clearly distinguish between plot-relevant central information....have clearly
demonstrated that memory is well and accurately retained for the gist of a
central action...even over long retention intervals." The base rates in adult
misinformation studies run between zero and 5 percent for adults and between
3 - 5 percent for children. From "From Ground Lost: The False
Memory/Recovered Memory Debate" by Alan Scheflin, "although science in
limited on this issue, the only three relevant studies conclude that
repressed memories are no more and no less accurate than continuous
memories...Thus courts and therapists should consider repressed memories no
differently than they consider ordinary memories."  Occasional suggestions
about abuse are not generally effective, except in highly suggestible people.
Most people would almost have to be in a cult or in a cult like situation or
under considerable duress to produce an untrue memory.
But, if all the information in the media and society available to most
survivors is biased toward the incorrect position that many memories of abuse
are false. And a survivor is manipulated and pressured by their family
emotionally and cognitively, it is very possible that a survivor may wrongly
believe that their memories are not true.

Several of the statements made in the last part of the article are totally
unproven, including one statement that verbal persuasion is more effective in
terms of mind control than overt torture. Is someone's memory simply a
delusion because the hearer doesn't believe it, possibly due to lack of
experience or knowledge of the topic? Is it appropriate to psychoanalysis
someone simply on the basis of their story, without checking out the facts
first ?

For those that are interested in hearing the other side of the story about
ritual abuse, mind control and recovered memory, one that has many peer
reviewed studies, court cases and anecdotal data to back it up, visit:
http://members.aol.com/smartnews/research.html. Or to hear about several well
documented legal cases pertaining to this issue,
http://members.aol.com/smartnews/fivecases.htm
or write [EMAIL PROTECTED] and I will be more than happy to forward pertinent
data.

It is unfortunate that for the most part, only one side of the argument was
presented in this article.  I believe this kind of article will only hurt
those still going through and recovering from child abuse, ritual abuse and
mind control.

Sincerely,  Neil Brick (Conference Coordinator for The Third Annual  Ritual
Abuse, Secretive Organizations and Mind Control Conference, and editor of
S.M.A.R.T. Newsletter)

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL