Subject: THE MONEY POWERS
From: <A HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] ">[EMAIL PROTECTED] </A> (Marsetco)
Date: Wed, Jun 7, 2000 3:03 AM

The Money Powers

  " I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and
   causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of the
   war, corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high
   places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor
   to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people
   until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands, and the Republic is
   destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety of my
   country than ever before, even in the midst of war."

  ---Abraham Lincoln - In a letter written to William Elkin less than five
                                months before he was assassinated.

   "The money power preys on the nation in times of peace, and conspires
   against it in times of adversity. It is more despotic than monarchy,
   more insolent than autocracy, more selfish than bureaucracy. It
   denounces, as public enemies, all who question its methods or throw
   light upon its crimes."

  ---Abraham Lincoln

   "A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our
   system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the Nation and all our
   activities are in the hands of a few men. We have come to be one of
   the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated
   Governments in the world - no longer a Government of free opinion no
   longer a Government by conviction and vote of the majority, but a
   Government by the opinion and duress of small groups of dominant
   men..."

   "Since I entered politics, I have chiefly had men's views confided to
   me privately. Some of the biggest men in the U.S., in the field of
   commerce and manufacturing, are afraid of somebody, are afraid of
   something. They know that there is a power somewhere so organized, so
   subtle, so watchful, so interlocked, so complete, so pervasive, that
   they had better not speak above their breath when they speak in
   condemnation of it."

   ---Woodrow Wilson - In The New Freedom (1913)

   "The fact is that there is a serious danger of this country becoming a
   pluto-democracy; that is, a sham republic with the real government in
   the hands of a small clique of enormously wealth men, who speak
   through their money, and whose influence, even today, radiates to
   every corner of the United States."

   ---William McAdoo - President Wilson's national campaign vice-chairman,
                                wrote in Crowded Years (1974)

   "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue
   of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks
   and corporations that will grow up around them, will deprive the
   people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on
   the continent their fathers conquered."

   ---Thomas Jefferson

   "The system of banking [is] a blot left in all our Constitutions,
   which, if not covered, will end in their destruction... I sincerely
   believe that banking institutions are more dangerous than standing
   armies; and that the principle of spending money to be paid by
   posterity... is but swindling futurity on a large scale."

   ---Thomas Jefferson

   "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our
   liberties than standing armies. Already they have raised up a monied
   aristocracy that has set the Government at defiance. The issuing power
   should be taken from the banks and restored to the people to whom it
   properly belongs."

   ---Thomas Jefferson

   "... To take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specially drawn
   around the powers of Congress is to take possession of a boundless
   field of power, no longer susceptible of any definition. The
   incorporation of a bank, and the powers assumed by this bill
   [chartering the first Bank of the United States], have not, been
   delegated to the United States by the Constitution."

   ---Thomas Jefferson - in opposition to the chartering of the first Bank
                                  of the United States (1791).

   "We have stricken the (slave) shackles from four million human beings
   and brought all laborers to a common level not so much by the
   elevation of former slaves as by practically reducing the whole
   working population, white and black, to a condition of serfdom. While
   boasting of our noble deeds, we are careful to conceal the ugly fact
   that by an iniquitous money system we have nationalized a system of
   oppression which,though more refined, is not less cruel than the old
   system of chattel slavery."

   ---Horace Greeley - (1811-1872) founder of the New York Tribune

   "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together
   in society, they create for themselves in the course of time, a legal
   system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

   ---Frederic Bastiat - (1801-1850) in Economic Sophisms

   "The powers of financial capitalism had (a) far-reaching aim, nothing
   less than to create a world system of financial control in private
   hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the
   economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a
   feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert,
   by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences.
   The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International
   Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled
   by the world's central banks which were themselves private
   corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by
   its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign
   exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country,
   and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic
   rewards in the business world."

   ---Prof. Carroll Quigley in Tragedy and Hope

   "In a small Swiss city sits an international organization so obscure
   and secretive....Control of the institution, the Bank for
   International Settlements, lies with some of the world's most powerful
   and least visible men: the heads of 32 central banks, officials able
   to shift billions of dollars and alter the course of economies at the
   stroke of a pen."

  --- Keith Bradsher of the New York Times, August 5, 1995

   "The Federal Reserve Bank of New York is eager to enter into close
   relationship with the Bank for International Settlements....The
   conclusion is impossible to escape that the State and Treasury
   Departments are willing to pool the banking system of Europe and
   America, setting up a world financial power independent of and above
   the Government of the United States....The United States under present
   conditions will be transformed from the most active of manufacturing
   nations into a consuming and importing nation with a balance of trade
   against it."

   ---Rep. Louis McFadden - Chairman of the House Committee on Banking and
                                   Currency quoted in the New York Times (June
1930)

   "Nothing did more to spur the boom in stocks than the decision made by
   the New York Federal Reserve bank, in the spring of 1927, to cut the
   rediscount rate. Benjamin Strong, Governor of the bank, was chief
   advocate of this unwise measure, which was taken largely at the behest
   of Montagu Norman of the Bank of England....At the time of the Banks
   action I warned of its consequences....I felt that sooner or later the
   market had to break."

   ---Money baron Bernard Baruch in Baruch: The Public Years (1960)

   "The Federal Reserve Bank is nothing but a banking fraud and an
   unlawful crime against civilization. Why? Because they "create" the
   money made out of nothing, and our Uncle Sap Government issues their
   "Federal Reserve Notes" and stamps our Government approval with NO
   obligation whatever from these Federal Reserve Banks, Individual Banks
   or National Banks, etc."

  --- H.L. Birum, Sr., American Mercury, August 1957, p. 43

   "[The] abandonment of the gold standard made it possible for the
   welfare statists to use the banking system as a means to an unlimited
   expansion of credit.... In the absence of the gold standard, there is
   no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation. There
   is no safe store of value. If there were, the government would have to
   make its holdings illegal, as was done in the case of gold.... The
   financial policy of the welfare state requires that there be no way
   for the owners of wealth to protect themselves.... [This] is the
   shabby secret of the welfare statist's tirades against gold. Deficit
   spending is simply a scheme for the 'hidden' confiscation of wealth.
   Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a
   protector of property rights."

  --- Alan Greenspan in an article he wrote in 1966
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.
Em Hotep, Peace Be,
All My Relations.
Omnia Bona Bonis,
Adieu, Adios, Aloha.
Amen.
Roads End

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL